Barbarian Training is a set of expansions to Firemaking, Herblore, Fishing and Smithing. These skills are known as Barbarian Firemaking, Barbarian Herblore, Barbarian Fishing and Barbarian Smithing. This members-only activity also provides access to the Ancient Cavern and the numerous monsters within, such as the mithril dragon. The activity was released on 3 July 2007 with its own update.
Otto Godblessed, a barbarian warrior interested in the cultural history of his people, will offer to teach eligible players about Barbarian skills, and will give them the books barbarian skills and my notes to keep track of the Training. Otto can be found south-west of the Ancient Cavern entrance.
When starting Barbarian training, the player is given a book called my notes. It records entries from ancient pages which are sometimes obtained when rummaging barbarian skeletons or as monster drops in the Ancient Cavern. My notes can be found in the bookcase of a Player-owned house listed as My Notes.
Finding all the notes is one of the requirements for the trimmed Completionist Cape.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Otto Godblessed at Otto's Grotto, south-west of the Ancient Cavern entrance|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||Around 50 Mithril dragons|
Quick guide[edit | edit source]
Getting started[edit | edit source]
Barbarian Firemaking[edit | edit source]
There are two types of activities that fall under Barbarian Firemaking: lighting fires with a bow and lighting pyre ships.
- Start out by talking to Otto about bow fires
- Get a bow and oak logs (not all bows work; see the equipment section)
- To make a bow fire, just use the bow in your inventory on the oak logs (If you use logs higher levelled than oak logs, you require a higher Firemaking level)
- Talk to Otto again. He will explain the art of making a Pyre ship.
- Enter the Ancient cavern dungeon below the lake by diving into the whirlpool
- Hop down the roughly-hewn stairs and climb up the stone stairs to the second level
- Kill Mithril dragons until you obtain chewed bones (Players will always receive a drop upon their first kill for completion of Barbarian Training.)
- Return to Otto's house with any type of logs (arctic pine logs to get a hard Fremennik achievement)
- Click on the Pyre site (very small grey rocks) found on the ground of the north shore on either side of the whirlpool pier, to make a pyre ship.
- Talk to Otto about fire making
Barbarian Fishing[edit | edit source]
There are two types of activities that fall under Barbarian Fishing: Heavy rod fishing and bare hand fishing.
- Talk to Otto after you completed a Bow fire, and he will teach you Barbarian Fishing with a heavy fishing rod.
- Search the bed in Otto's cabin and you will find a Barbarian rod (Heavy fishing rod)
- Catch a few fish at one of the rod-fishing spots
- Right click any of the caught fish and Gut one of them to obtain roe, which is needed for the herblore part of the training.
- Talk to Otto again, and he will explain bare-handed fishing.
- Teleport to Catherby and find a harpoon fishing spot along the beach and catch a fish. You may need to try several spots if you have under 76 Fishing.
- Go back and talk to Otto about fishing
Barbarian Smithing[edit | edit source]
- Ensure you have completed the Tai Bwo Wannai Trio quest
- After completing the barbarian fishing training, talk to Otto again about the "use of spears".
- Get a Steel bar and Willow log and use them on the Barbarian anvil near Otto's house to create a steel spear - if you have a Steel bar in your Metal bank all you need is the log.
- If the player has the Scroll of efficiency effect trigger, the player will have to re-make the given item before progressing.
- Once you made the spear talk to Otto about the use of "one-handed spears".
- Get another metal bar and logs and use them on the Barbarian anvil to make a steel hasta
- Talk to Otto about the use of "one-handed spears".
Barbarian Herblore[edit | edit source]
- Talk to Otto about barbarian potion making.
- Buy or brew an Attack potion (2) (You can buy an Attack potion (4) from the grand exchange and drink 2 sips, or get the ingredients for free from Jatix.)
- Use the fish roe that you obtained during barbarian fishing to the 2-dose attack potion
- Give the Attack mix back to Otto and talk about potion making.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Players can now use the Achievement System to see if they completed Barbarian Training.
Alternatively you can open your quest guide and look for the quest Hero's Welcome. "Mastered Barbarian skilling" should be scratched through. Another way is by talking to Otto Godblessed and ensuring that there are no more dialogue options related to the Barbarian Training.
- Master Otto ( 25) – Complete all barbarian training with Otto.
- Barbarian Herblore ( 0) – Complete barbarian herblore training with Otto, at his grotto west of Baxtorian Falls.
- Barbarian Firemaking ( 0) – Complete barbarian firemaking training with Otto, at his grotto west of Baxtorian Falls.
- Barbarian Fishing ( 0) – Complete barbarian fishing training with Otto, at his grotto west of Baxtorian Falls.
- Barbarian Smithing ( 0) – Complete barbarian smithing training with Otto, at his grotto west of Baxtorian Falls.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Completion of Barbarian Training is required for the following:
Transcript[edit | edit source]