The Barbarian Outpost is a fenced stronghold in northern Kandarin, near the border of the Fremennik Province. It was released on 25 March 2002, along with the Bar Crawl miniquest. The Outpost is comprised of two main structures.
In the southwest portion of the Outpost is the larger of the two structures, which is further divided into two more sections. The first, "outer" section requires the completion of the Bar Crawl miniquest to access. This outer section houses nine barbarians and several chickens. From this area, a pipe requiring level 35 Agility (boostable) can be used to access the "inner" section, which houses the Barbarian Outpost Agility Course. Access to the outer section is a requirement of the Scorpion Catcher quest, and access to the inner section is a requirement of the Horror from the Deep quest.
In the northwest is a second hall, which serves as the staging area for the Barbarian Assault minigame. This section is open to all, as the barbarians lead by Captain Cain need a great deal of help to fight back the Penance.
Locals will address players who have completed The Fremennik Trials by their Fremennik name.
The Barbarian Outpost is located north-east of Baxtorian Falls, north of the Tree Gnome Stronghold, and south of the Lighthouse. There are four main methods of getting to the Outpost:
The exterior of the complex is surrounded by several willow trees. Inside, there are several barbarians, good for low-level training and clue scroll drops, and chickens that can be killed for food. The main features of the Barbarian Outpost are its Agility course and the Barbarian Assault minigame.
The inner section of the main structure is an Agility course that has both a basic route and an advanced route. The basic route gives 174 agility experience per lap and requires 35 Agility to use, giving roughly 5.8 exp per second. The advanced route gives 753.7 agility experience per lap and requires 90 Agility to use. Additionally, perfect completion of the advanced route 250 times awards the player with the agile top.
The northwest building houses the staging ground for the Barbarian Assault minigame. Here, the barbarians, lead by Captain Cain, fight against the Penance, named so due to the Fremennik's belief that they were created by the gods as a punishment for man. After being briefed by Captain Cain in the tutorial, players may join the fight. Players can fight through ten waves of enemies, eventually facing the Penance Queen. Once they have defeated the Queen at least once, they may challenge hard mode, in which they face ten waves of even more difficult enemies, eventually coming to face the Penance King himself. Success in completing a wave results in being rewarded with either bonus experience or honour points, depending on the player's preference set beforehand. The latter can be used to claim various rewards, such as role upgrades, Penance armour, and various insignias.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 10 September 2013 (Update):
- Adjusted the height mapping of the huts at Barbarian Outpost.
- patch 14 June 2011 (Update):
- A roof on Barbarian Outpost has had textures added to it.
- According to Captain Cain's instructions as part of the Barbarian Assault tutorial, the caves beneath the Barbarian Outpost contain one of the deposits of runes created by Guthix and spread by missionaries such as Misalionar. This is why players are not allowed to bring their own runes into Barbarian Assault, as they are seen as coming from a heretical source.
- The Barbarian Outpost was located east of Ardougne in RuneScape Classic, but it was moved to its current location upon the release of RuneScape 2.
- The barbarians in the yard outside the Agility course are (according to their examination texts) named Alberich, Brunnhilde, Edelschwarz, Fasolt, Fafner and Siegfried. The names come from Richard Wagner's epic opera cycle, Der Ring des Nibelungen.