This article is about banite ore. For ore that has been 'tuned' using Lunar magic, see Tune Bane Ore
Banite ore is an ore that can be obtained through mining banite rocks, requiring level 80 Mining, in various places around RuneScape.
Banite is required to craft bane bars. As players increase their Mining level and use higher tier pickaxes, they are able to mine banite at quicker rates.
Banite, like other mining resources, can be stored in an ore box. 100 banite can be stored in a bane ore box or higher. This capacity is increased by 20 at level 85 Mining and a further 20 with the completion of the Everything Is Oresome achievement.
The Kethsians were the first to discover banite ore on the Outer Planes and learned to magically 'tune' the ore against certain creatures, such as dragons. The Kethsians were able to forge banite ore into both bolts and arrows for use in combat. 
The Fremennik discovered banite ore on the island of Jatizso during the Fifth Age. While the Fremennik were able to smelt the ore, they were unable to make use of it until the warrior Koschei forged a great axe named Balmung out of the ore, in the process 'tuning' it against dagannoths.
In the Sixth Age, Koschei trained a handful of Fremennik smiths to make melee weapons and armour out of the metal which could be 'tuned' against specific races of creature. 
| Banite ore|
|Mining level|| 80||Critical hit chance|
|Stone spirit|| Banite||Rockertunity multiplier|
|Rock stats|| 88||-|
|Durability||1700||Double ore chance|
|Multiplier||0.82|| 82|| 86|
|Base ore||1||Geode chance|
|Varrock armour double chance||10%||15%|
||2 x Banite ore
||1 x Bane bar
- This list was created dynamically, and shows the first 100 items alphabetically.
- To force an update of this list, click here.
- For an exhaustive list of items, click here.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- 82 Smithing is required to smith the bolts on an anvil, despite the skill guide showing 80, with 82 Fletching being needed to add feathers to unfinished bolts. This process can be assisted.
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat, it was possible to apply weapon poisons to bane bolts and arrows, but only 5 arrows/bolts would be coated from one vial.
- In the miniquest Koschei's Troubles, Kharshai reveals that Balmung was actually made from bane ore and then tuned to Dagannoth. However, players cannot currently tune bane ore to Dagannoth.
- Prior to the release of Hero's Welcome, the only source of this ore was the Glacor cave.
- When speaking to Kharshai after Hero's Welcome, Kharshai reveals that bane ore possesses some sentience and is capable of "hating" creatures it is attuned to, with a side effect being boosted damage.
- Banite ore was originally called bane ore and untradeable before the Mining and Smithing Rework.
- The name is perhaps a reference to the real-world microstructure, bainite. It also puns on the word bane, "a person or thing that ruins or spoils".
- ^ Dathana's message, written by Dathana, RuneScape. "We have one final hope - a weapon crafted from a material from the outer planes. Bane ore can be used to smith a unique metal, which can be magically 'tuned' to especially harmful to certain creatures. We then use a tempered anvil located here on the Isle of Sann to turn it into bolts and arrows.
We turned these arrows against the dragonkin, and, for the first time managed to kill some, but the ore is rare and our supplies run low."
- ^ Design - Both - Metals, written by Mod Jack, RuneScape. "The scholars of the Moon Clan believed Jormungor to be merely a myth, a tale told by the superstitious Fremennik. They believed this up until the fifth age, when the Fremennik discovered a strange new ore on the island of Jatizso. This dark purple rock seemed to almost seethe with menace, and the Fremennik could not make use of it. They could smelt it, but no warrior wished to wield a weapon that filled their heart with dread, and they believed the metal cursed. They named it the Flesh of Jormungor and left it well alone."
- ^ Design - Both - Metals, written by Mod Jack, RuneScape. "Decades later, a powerful warrior named Koschei, who knew neither fear nor death due to the enchanment laid upon him, made a weapon from the Flesh of Jormungor, a great axe named Balmung for the slaying of Dagganoths and other threats. Koschei, who was wise in the way of magic due to a heritage he had forgotten, worked magic into the weapon as he wrought it, and the enchantment was completed later by an adventurer who slew many Dagganoths with the weapon. Once correctly 'tuned' against the Dagganoths , the weapon's aura of dread disappeared, and it became extremely effective at slaying its chosen foe."