A Ban is a punishment that may be given for repeated or serious violation of the Rules of RuneScape. Bans are issued only by Jagex Moderators; a division of Jagex known as Customer Support handles all bans and blocks.
The status of an account can be checked via the Account Status system. An account with no offences is in the green zone and changes through orange and red as offences accumulate. Bans may be temporary (for example for 24 hours) or permanent. Banned players are unable to log into the game at all. Players who are banned are also not allowed to vote in website polls or access the official RuneScape Forums.
Unlike in some other online communities, bans apply to the account rather than the person. Banned players are typically allowed to continue playing on a new account as long as they follow the rules.
Game bans[edit | edit source]
Game bans restrict players from access to their accounts, usually for violating one of the Rules of RuneScape. If the player appeals their ban, it may be accepted, either restoring the account completely or with a permanent mute. A ban can also get quashed by a Jagex Moderator. Permanently banned or muted players may be offered a "last chance appeal".
Forum bans[edit | edit source]
Players can also be permanently banned from the RuneScape Forums; this can happen for flaming, spamming, advertising websites, or breaking any other rules in the Forums. Permanent Forum bans may affect the in-game status of the account.
If a player is muted or banned from the game, they are also automatically banned from the Forums. If a player is muted or banned from the Forums, they are not necessarily banned from the game.
Instant permanent bans[edit | edit source]
- Some forms of bug abuse will cause a player to be permanently banned.
- Macroing will cause an instant permanent ban in most cases. Sometimes, however, it can result in a temporary ban between 24 hours - 2 weeks, along with a possible rollback of stats and/or wealth.
- Real-world trading can result in an unappealable permanent ban.
- Account hijacking of other accounts is very likely to result in a permanent unappealable ban on the hijacker's own account.
- Some forms of website advertising, related to real-world trading, can result in a permanent ban as well.
- In cases where it is discovered that a player is under 13, this will result in all data of their account being scrubbed, and the account disabled.
- Very rarely, players will be banned for negative behaviour they exhibit outside of the game, such as at Runefest or livestreaming
Historical[edit | edit source]
In RuneScape Classic, there was an area called The Black Hole (in the Dwarven Mine) where banned players were sent for an indefinite amount of time. However, this was later removed. Players could exit The Black Hole by using a Disk of returning.