Balmung is a two-handed weapon made of bane ore tuned to dagannoths, obtained from Queen Sigrid during the quest Blood Runs Deep. Level 75 Attack is necessary to obtain the weapon as it is required to start the quest. Balmung is obtained relatively early in Blood Runs Deep and does not require any further completion of the quest to use it. Balmung is required to complete the elite Fremennik task Axe'll Grease, chop down the blossoming tree during Koschei's Troubles, and cut the subsequent white jewel.
Balmung deals 25% extra damage against dagannoths and 15% against Dagannoth Supreme with auto-attacks, and 12.5% against dagannoths and 7.5% against Dagannoth Supreme with abilities. It also has a 30% increase in hit chance against them. Because of these buffs, it is considered a good choice when fighting Dagannoth Supreme.
If a player destroys Balmung after Blood Runs Deep, they can retrieve it from Queen Sigrid in the castle on Miscellania. During the quest, it can be retrieved from Brundt the Chieftain. They warn the player that next time Balmung is lost, it costs 300,000 coins to recover.
After the miniquest Koschei's Troubles, the player receives an upgrade to their Balmung by speaking to Kharshai in Rellekka in the basement of Skulgrimen's Battle Gear, just north of the longhall. This Balmung has increased stats and a passive effect, and turning it into either Achromatic Balmung, Crimson Balmung, Viridian Balmung or Cobalt Balmung. It is impossible to obtain the original Balmung after the miniquest.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 22 September 2014 (Update):
- Some errors in calculating damage values have been fixed with two-handed weapons.
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- The Dagannoth Mother can once again only be killed with the balmung weapon.
- patch 2 October 2013 (Update):
- Balmung should now gain both bonus damage and accuracy against all dagannoths.
- patch 3 September 2013 (Update):
- Balmung and the Fremennik seaboots have had their boosted damage against the dagannoth kings reworked.
- patch 12 March 2013 (Update):
- The level requirements for Balmung have been updated.
The old version of Balmung
- In Norse mythology, Balmung (or Gram) was the magical sword of the hero Sigurd or Siegfried as known in Germany.
- Wallasalkis are affected by the Balmung effect as if they were dagannoth.
- This weapon was previously alchemisable.
- Balmung can be found in Zemouregal's treasure room during Dimension of Disaster.
- Balmung was named after the Fremennik hero Bukalla's greatsword.