Balmung is a two-handed weapon made of banite ore tuned to dagannoths, obtained from Queen Sigrid during the quest Blood Runs Deep. Level 75 Attack is necessary to obtain the weapon as it is required to start the quest. Balmung is obtained relatively early in Blood Runs Deep and does not require any further completion of the quest to use it. Balmung is required to complete the elite Fremennik task Axe'll Grease, chop down the blossoming tree during the Koschei's Troubles miniquest, and cut the subsequent white jewel.
Balmung deals 25% extra damage against dagannoths and 15% against Dagannoth Supreme with auto-attacks, and 12.5% against dagannoths and 7.5% against Dagannoth Supreme with abilities. It also has a 30% increase in hit chance against them. Because of these buffs, it is considered a good choice when fighting Dagannoth Supreme.
If a player destroys Balmung after Blood Runs Deep, they can retrieve it from Queen Sigrid on the first floor of Miscellania castle. During the quest, it can be retrieved from Brundt the Chieftain. If it is destroyed after the miniquest Koschei's Troubles, it can be reclaimed from Kharshai, found in the Rellekka helmet shop basement. They warn the player that next time Balmung is lost, it costs 300,000 coins to recover.
After the miniquest Koschei's Troubles, the player receives an upgrade to their Balmung by speaking to Kharshai in Rellekka in the basement of Skulgrimen's Battle Gear, just north of the longhall. This Balmung has increased stats and a passive effect, and has four versions called Achromatic Balmung, Crimson Balmung, Viridian Balmung and Cobalt Balmung.
After the miniquest, Balmung can be recoloured by returning to Kharshai in Rellekka and selecting the fourth chat option ("I want to talk about your identity crisis"), then asking to look at the jewel again. Interacting with the jewel gives the same options from the miniquest:
- If the player decides to try and cut the jewel, it will turn into a blue jewel, and the Balmung will turn cobalt.
- If the player has 90 Prayer, they may search it for curses, which will turn it into a green jewel, and the Balmung will turn viridian.
- If the player attempts to crush the jewel using 90 Strength, the pressure will turn it into a red jewel, and the Balmung will turn crimson.
The Achromatic Balmung can be obtained from any of the three coloured versions with the "Toggle-colour" option, and turned back with the same option. It is impossible to obtain the original Balmung after the miniquest.
- Axe'll Grease ( 25) – Use Balmung to kill a dagannoth.
- Dagannoth Traffic Wardens ( 40) – Defeat the Dagannoth Supreme with each different colour variation of Balmung. Can only be completed in a solo instance.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 22 September 2014 (Update):
- Some errors in calculating damage values have been fixed with two-handed weapons.
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- The Dagannoth Mother can once again only be killed with the balmung weapon.
- patch 2 October 2013 (Update):
- Balmung should now gain both bonus damage and accuracy against all dagannoths.
- patch 3 September 2013 (Update):
- Balmung and the Fremennik seaboots have had their boosted damage against the dagannoth kings reworked.
- patch 12 March 2013 (Update):
- The level requirements for Balmung have been updated.
The old version of Balmung
- In Norse mythology, Balmung (or Gram) was the magical sword of the hero Sigurd or Siegfried as known in Germany.
- Wallasalkis are affected by the Balmung effect as if they were dagannoth.
- This weapon was previously alchemisable.
- Balmung can be found in Zemouregal's treasure room during Dimension of Disaster.
- Balmung was named after the Fremennik hero Bukalla's greatsword.