Bad luck mitigation
Bad luck mitigation is a mechanic that can affect the drop rate of certain rare items or the chances of certain events occurring. When a player has not received an item by a certain threshold, the drop rate is altered so that players are more likely to receive it.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Archaeology[edit | edit source]
- Artefact excavation: each time the player receives one kind of damaged artefact from an excavation hotspot, their chance to receive the same artefact is halved. If a player does get the same artefact, their chance halves again. This mechanic keeps track of the player's last five earned artefacts. This tracks the last five artifacts across all locations, for example getting one artifact from one location, then moving to another for five artifacts, when you return to the first location you will have an equal chance for all artifacts. 
- Boots of Flight: at level 76 Archaeology, players will be guaranteed to receive the Boots of Flight.
- Imcando metal: beginning at level 76 Archaeology, and ending at an unspecified level, each level increases the chance of obtaining a metal fragment.
- Into the Forge
Combat[edit | edit source]
- Certain lore drops, whose base drop rate are at least 1/100, have their drop rate increased as the player's killcount increases. At a certain threshold, they become a guaranteed drop.
- Last riders's drop rate begins to increase after 1000 kills of the King Black Dragon and is guaranteed at 2000 kills when defeating the King Black Dragon solo.
- Miner's journals and The diary of Jebediah Omnis, which are guaranteed to drop at 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 kills.
- Dragonkin Logs are dropped in order, and guaranteed to drop at 200, 400, 600, and 800 kills. If Adamant Dragons were killed before a player completes the Hero's Welcome quest, drop chance significantly improves and continues improving (toward 100%) with a kill count of at least 800.
- Naressa's journal is a guaranteed drop after 1,600 kills.
- Boss pets, whose drop rates increase after each threshold amount of killcount at the boss the pet drops from.
Farming[edit | edit source]
- Player-owned farm: animals in the breeding pen will be guaranteed to breed after five failed attempts in a row. This applies to the Anachronia Dinosaur Farm as well.
Treasure Trails[edit | edit source]
- Treasure Trail rewards also feature a "bad luck mitigation" mechanic. The running tally is unique for each tier of clue, so completing any Hard Treasure Trails without a very rare item increases the chance of getting one from another Hard but does not affect Elites.
Skilling Pets[edit | edit source]
- Skilling Pet drop chances are increased when a player reaches 200 million xp for the respective skill. This is done by adding a bonus to the player's virtual level in the numerator.
- For experience-based pets, a flat bonus of 200 is added to the player's virtual level variable.
- For tick-based/time-based pets, a flat bonus of 50 is added to the player's virtual level variable.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Rowley. Discord comment. Discord. 3 April 2020. "Basically, when you get one artefact, you are half as likely to get it again as your next one (halves each time in a row you get it) - that is tracked for your previous three artefacts - so getting 10 of the same in a row would have very low odds."*
- ^ Mod Ryan. Fixate. Reddit. (Archived from the original on 12 June 2020.) Mod Ryan: "It's the 5 that you recently discovered from excavation in general."
- ^ a b Mod Rowley. Imcando keys not dropping from eels. Reddit. 28 April 2020. (Archived from the original on 29 April 2020.) Mod Rowley: "The keys from fishing and mining are a 100% guaranteed drop if you don't already have one after 50 successful catches/ores."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Daze's Twitter account. 2 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 20 December 2019.) Mod Daze: "Yes! With each clue that doesn't get a unique drop you have a higher chance next clue. This is unique for each tier"