|Release date||31 January 2012 (Update)|
|Food||Any tradeable item|
|Missing IDs edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The baby troll is a pet obtained by speaking to Corporal Keymans in the Imperial Guard camp to the east of Burthorpe Castle. Like all trolls, it gets its name from the first thing it eats, which is whatever the player uses on it.
To get rid of the baby troll, drop it on the ground and dismiss it from the Follower Details panel. If the baby troll is dismissed or lost in some other way, players can receive another by talking to a pet store owner and asking if they have found any strays or by asking Corporal Keymans about it. If lost, the baby troll's name will not reset, and it will still have the name it was given when it is reclaimed.
If one places a baby troll in the menagerie, reclaims another, and renames the new one, the troll in the menagerie also gets the new name. Once a baby troll is placed in the menagerie, for some reason, its examine text will change from "A big, angry troll. Not!" to "A big, angry troll. Or maybe not!"
Names[edit | edit source]
Using an item on it causes the baby troll to say, "YUM! Me Like (item's name)!" If a name has not already been given or if its name is reset, it will become that of the item, and the item will disappear. The baby troll's name can be reset by talking to it and choosing the second option. If an item cannot be fed to it, the baby troll will exclaim, "(baby troll's name) no like that!" If a player attempts to feed a borrowed item to a baby troll, they will get a message saying:
Items fed to the baby troll are lost and cannot be re-obtained; please proceed with caution when feeding it.
In the past,players with a lot of wealth could reset the baby troll's name and feed it an expensive item, so its left-click option became "Pick-up (expensive item)". Unsuspecting players who clicked on the pet, hoping to loot said expensive item from the ground, were thus 'trolled', hence the significance of the creature: a baby troll. Also, anyone could also feed it one coin, and its name would be changed to coins. This was also another way to 'troll' another player. However, the pick-up option no longer appears to players other than the owner. Some players may also feed their trolls discontinued rare items that cannot be worn in order to show off their wealth.
Untradeable items that can be eaten[edit | edit source]
As almost all untradeable items cannot be fed to the baby troll, a list of such items is not kept. Below is a list of exceptions.
- Ancient summoning stone
- Dwarven army axe
- Creepy doll
- Expired spin ticket
- Ex-ex-parrot in a magic cage
- Festive aura
- Nearly boiled egg
- Pets (except Eek, pet rocks, Pet fish and golden chinchompas)
- Ruined essence
- Treasure chest
- Superior Player-owned ports armour
- Wicked hood
- Champion's scroll
Other[edit | edit source]
These items can be fed to a baby troll to give them a name that is different than the name of the item.
- Morningstar's bones: My own dad
- Magic stick's bones: My dad's friend
- Valentine heart: Angel, Baby, Boo, Cutie, Darling, Gorgeous, Honeybunch, Lovely, Pet, Snookums, Sugar, Sweetheart, Sweetie, or Treacle
- Valentine love note: Angel, Babydoll, Blossom, Bubbles, Cuddlebug, Dearest, Ducky, Flower, Honeybear, Jellybean, Pooky, or Tootsie
- Doubloons: Avast, Cabin Boy, Davey, Doubloons, Kraken, or Yarrr
- Rose petals: baby-bugga-boo, bae, big hippo, chunky monkey, cupid, hater, hot stuff, lover, muffin, sugar, tootsie wootsy, or winky dink
Tradeable items that cannot be eaten[edit | edit source]
Although almost all tradeable items can be eaten, there are exceptions.
- Bond - A message appears saying
- Jadinko eggs - The eggs obtained in the 2015 Easter event could be traded with other players for another egg but cannot be fed.
- Maul of omens, ancient weapon piece (a), ancient weapon piece (b), and ancient weapon handle -
History[edit | edit source]
The baby troll was originally part of the Troll Warzone tutorial and first appeared in a cutscene where it crawled out from behind some rocks after the player defeated Morningstar. Imperial Guard soldiers chased it into a cannon, where the player had the option to either take it out and adopt it or fire the cannon. If shot out of the cannon, the player could later talk to Corporal Keymans to adopt it, as it fell into some manure.
In an earlier version of the tutorial, it was instead found in the Abandoned Burthorpe mine, where Morningstar was originally fought, and appeared after his death. In this version, Ozan became attached to it. It also had different voice-acting during this time.
After the removal of the Troll Warzone tutorial, it was initially obtainable from Challenge Mistress Fara after completing her section of the Path, but after the removal of the Path, it was given back to Corporal Keymans.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A baby troll was featured sitting atop a construction beam in the head banner for the Lumbridge Rebuildathon.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 13 June 2016 (Update):
- patch 11 December 2013 (Update):
- patch 12 March 2013 (Update):
- The animation for activating the baby troll has been changed due to timing issues.
- patch 11 April 2012 (Update):
- Reclaiming a baby troll which hasn't been named from a pet store now works correctly.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The baby troll is the first pet with the ability to run with the player.
- If the baby troll is fed a valentine heart, the Baby Troll will say "YUM! Me like be your valentine!" but if it is fed something else first (e.g. bones) the baby troll's name will not change.
- Players who have fed their baby troll poisoned items (such as dragon dagger (p++) ) before the Evolution of Combat will still have their baby troll named dragon dagger (p++), although the said item no longer exists. The same is the case for the food items from the Diamond Jubilee.
- Members' items cannot be fed to baby trolls on F2P worlds. Attempting to do so generates the message "To use this item please login to a members' server."