|Azzanadra's Quest (#230)|
|Release date||22 February 2021 (Update)|
|Quest series||Elder Gods|
|Main developer(s)||Mod Jack (script), Mod Raven, Mod Shrew, Mod Ramen|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
- 1 Overview
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Required for completing
- 5 Transcript
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Development history
- 8 Update history
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Azzanadra at Seren's council upstairs in the Burthorpe Castle. Show in map|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
For full storyline comprehension, completion of the following quests is recommended but not required:
|Enemies to defeat||
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Looking for allies[edit | edit source]
Upon arriving at the council meeting, Azzanadra will pull you over to the side, already talking with both Armadyl and Icthlarin. The council Seren has assembled is fully under her control now due to her powers, much to his disappointment. He tells you that it is not the adult Elders who endanger Gielinor, but instead, their offspring. Armadyl and Icthlarin will refuse to assist Azzanadra, but because of your role as the World Guardian, asks you to help. You accept, and he tells you to meet him at Kharid-et.
Once you arrive, head inside the main fortress to the praetorium table. Trindine will already be talking with Azzanadra, who tells you that there are most likely only three elder god eggs on Gielinor; those of Wen, Bik and Ful, as Mah never made it to Gielinor and Jas sacrificed hers to create the Stone of Jas. He tells you to meet him at the World Gate.
Bring Enhanced Excalibur or food due to the toxic environment which may reduce HP. Speak to Azzanadra to set the World Gate to Freneskae. Enter the World Gate and speak to Azzanadra. Travel through The Approach, talking to Azzanadra at different stops which are considered rest stops to avoid HP loss. If you must leave Freneskae, talk again to Azzanadra for the quest, else using the World Gate Travel to Freneskae shortcuts will not return you to the quest. Getting to the end of the Approach will exit directly to the Elder Halls.
Inside the halls[edit | edit source]
After entering the Elder Halls, Azzanadra will realise that someone else is inside. The person is none other than Ariane, who is shocked to see you and Azzanadra. She tells you that after killing Xenia, she began having visions and realised that the Elders' eggs were the threat to Gielinor, lining up with Azzanadra's analysis.
You will then be asked to inspect all five shell fragments at the end of the halls. After doing so, the three of you quickly realise that this route is going nowhere. Azzanadra then recalls a blank observation and suggests you drain the nearby wisps to see from Mah's perspective in the surrounding area to charge it. Drain the wisps for 50 each of their energy, then combine them with the observation and talk to Azzanadra.
Azzanadra will attempt to look, but fail. Ariane then asks to do so and gets a similar vision to what she had, and tells you two its contents. Freneskae was a perfect world created by the previous cycle of Elders, whose next generation hatched. Upon hatching, they drained all anima from the planet in mere minutes before moving across the universe. However, with no way to find the eggs, and that they hatched after being touched by their parents, suggests that the only way to stop them is to prevent the adults from touching them. Azzanadra tells you that he had sent Trindine to Falador in order to get Saradomin's aid, hoping that his crown will be able to find them. He will then depart with Ariane for Kharid-et.
Retrieving the crown[edit | edit source]
- Required items: Slayer bell
Upon arriving at the White Knights' Castle, meet with Sir Upticious, who is actually Trindine in disguise. She suggests you head to Saradomin's throne room to look for clues. Saradomin is not present; speak to Father Frith, who tells you that Saradomin is travelling across the universe to spread his faith. Although you tell him you need to speak urgently speak with him, he tells you that there's a visiting Temple Knight on the ground floor's war table, who is Sir Owen.
Sir Owen has managed to keep his corruption under control, but is upset at how the White Knights are treating the threat of the Elder Gods as trivial. You, Owen and Upticious will then confront Frith at the throne room. Frith will suggest to Owen to voice his concerns with Sir Amik Varze, since he is the owner of the castle. Amik will assist as long as Padomenes is content with the new recruits. After talking with Amik, Owen will pull you and Upticious to the side, voicing his frustration once more and stating that the Temple Knights are better than the White Knights, as they actually do good since their head, Sir Vey Lance, takes orders directly from Saradomin himself.
Talk with Padomenes in the courtyard, who tells the three of you that the recruits are poorly equipped as Sir Vyvin refuses to arm them properly. Speak with Sir Vyvin, who tells you that he will not give them new equipment until Saradomin blesses them. Fed up with the incomptence of the White Knights, Owen decides to take the matter into his own hands and tells you to meet him at the war room once more. After finding nothing except Saint Elsbeth's birthday, Owen realises that the documents must be in a safe in Sir Renitee's office. You will automatically take the document out from the safe. The document reads as follow:
In his eternal wisdom the great Saradomin has provided these instructions should he need to return to Gielinor.
Firstly one must remove any unexpected items from Saradomin's throne, and scatter the anointed incences, for this will be his guiding beacon.
Secondly, one must prepare a blessed silent bell. To do this one must remove the clapper from a standard slayer bell and then bless it in the well at the temple in Paterdomus.
Finally, one must ring the bell thrice whilst standing by the throne and calling out the name of the most holy.Follow these steps and Saradomin will hear.
Owen then realises that Sir Upticious is the Mahjarrat recently released from Kharid-et, but agrees to work with her. While the two prepare some of the ritual materials, they tell you to collect the silent bell for them. This is obtained by buying a slayer bell from any Slayer Master, then cutting the clapper with a knife. Head to Paterdomus, enter the Mausoleum under the temple and use the silent bell on the well to bless it.
After blessing the bell, return to Saradomin's throne room and ring the bell three times, calling Saradomin's name. Saradomin will then be summoned to the throne room, asking why he has been called back.
You will tell him of the threat of the Elder Gods; tell him in the following order:
- The world is in danger
- We are concerned about Seren
- We need to find the eggs
- We need your crown.
Saradomin will tell you that he too had tried to locate the eggs with his crown, but failed; either the eggs are shielded, or are not affected. Frith will then scold the three of you for wasting Saradomin's time, but Saradomin will scold Frith in turn for believing that the Elders' threat is negligible. While he appreciates his faith, he tells him that he cannot rely on it alone and it has to be tempered.
With no further leads, Sir Owen will apologise. You and Trindine will instead recruit him to assist in Azzanadra's efforts. Return to Azzanadra at Kharid-et's wartable.
Looking for clues[edit | edit source]
Azzanadra will be surprised by Owen's presence, but nonetheless accepts the aid of the Temple Knights. As there are more unofficial ways to find information, he suggests splitting up; he and Ariane will interrogate the mouthpieces once more, while Owen will track Sir Vey Lance and you and Trindine will head to the TokHaar and find clues from both the Wizards' Tower and Hall of Memories.
Hall of Memories[edit | edit source]
Travel to the Hall of Memories and head inside, upon which The Archivist will attempt to initiate defence protocols. You will stop it from doing so and tell it that you are searching for memories of the Elder Halls, and flag Trindine as friendly. Collect six memories floating around and return to the Archivist, who is recharging.
After it recharges, you will tell it about the Elder Halls. It will then release six restricted memories and tell you that only the World Guardian may use it. Collect them and place on the pilnths near the unstable rift. Inspect the memory bud to find a restricted engram - use it on the fountain of energy up above. The memory reveals that Guthix was aware of the threat of the Elder Gods and even planned his own death to prepare for their impending arrival - however, there is no mention of where the eggs are.
Wizards' Tower[edit | edit source]
Meet with Trindine at the entrance, who has disguised herself as Wizard Trindy. Wizard Valina will be concerned about Trindy as she is not a member of the order, but after you tell her of the Elder Gods and vouch for her, allows the two of you to browse their library. Trindine will search the eastern shelves while tasking you to search the western ones. However, all of the books the two of you find are completely irrelevant.
TzHaar City[edit | edit source]
Speak to Trindine outside the entrance to the TzHaar City. Upon entering, you will be met by Ga'al-Kot, who is initially scared of Trindine due to her shadow presence. It then tells you that the TokHaar are at the main plaza.
The TokHaar is none other than TokHaar-Hok, who has sensed his masters' return. With most of the Haar-Tok and Tokkul returned, he tells the remaining TzHaar to return. Jeh refuses to comply, while another decides to return to the lava. Trindine and Kot head to the library, which is north-west of the main plaza. Hok refuses to tell you of the location of Gielinor's Elder Halls, as you are not worthy to enter it. Trindine and Kot are unable to assist further, as reading the orbs will take too long.
Gielinor's Elder Halls[edit | edit source]
Upon returning to the Praetorium war table, Ariane is knocked out cold on the floor. Azzanadra reveals that their visit was mostly fruitless, so they simply destroyed the mouthpieces and Ariane absorbed the energy, as part of her plan. After telling Azzanadra of your attempts, Ariane regains consciousness and tells everyone that the eggs are in the Heart of Gielinor. You, Azzanadra and Ariane will go there, while Azzanadra has Trindine search for Owen.
Speak to Azzanadra near the entrance, where he reveals that the only remaining forces inside are just Gregorovic along with Helwyr and his elves. Enter the Heart, where Helwyr will refuse to let the three of you through. Gregorovic then appears, having heard his "master's" call and goads Helwyr and his elves into chasing him.
Ariane will then open the entrance to Gielinor's Elder Halls. Inspect Wen, Bik and Ful's eggs. Azzanadra will then leave to discuss the matter with Zaros, upon which you realise that Trindine wasn't telling you everything. Return to Kharid-et.
Full Betrayal[edit | edit source]
Upon returning, Trindine is nowhere to be seen, but traces of her anima are leaking, approach the praetorian table and examine it, then charge up at a pylon, then head to four shadow anchors to power them up. Simply go near the anchor to do so. You will then enter Shadow Realm and five of Trindine's memories will appear - collect 50 memories and then use it on the blank observation. The memory reveals that Trindine was intending to steal something, so return to all three places the two of you had gone to with her. Go to the Heart of Gielinor and speak to Ariane.
You will quickly realise that Trindine is interested in the Locator, or Saradomin's crown. Return to Ariane at Gielinor's Elder Halls, who shows you the memory. Sir Vey Lance is actually the demon Veilinius in disguise, and almost all of the Temple Knights are all devout followers of Zaros. Owen becomes shocked by the turn of events and threatens to expose them, but Trindine knocks him out. Trindine then informs Veilinius to continue the plan as expected.
Return to Falador and speak to Ariane, with Saradomin returning to inspect his knights. You have the option of warning Saradomin of the Zarosian plot or remaining silent. Regardless, the Frostenhorn blows and the Temple Knights engage the White Knights as Azzanadra sheds his disguise and takes the Crown from Saradomin. Saradomin then forces the Crown back to him, but before the situation escalates, Zaros appears and reclaims it, stating that it was never Saradomin's to begin with, and that he had simply "entrusted" it to him and states that he has no intention of disrupting his rule before he leaves. The Temple Knights and half of the White Knights are teleported out. Afterwards, Saradomin will spot you and ask if you had a role in the plot. The incident has left you shaken and you decide to confront the Zarosians regarding the incident.
Return to Kharid-et once more and head to the war table. Zaros will begin planning to attack the mysterious monolith, something which will get him into conflict with Seren as he teleports away to finish preparations. Azzanadra will apologise to you for the deception, as your loyalties are too shifting for Zaros' plans. While he appreciated your assistance and company, he tells you to bear no grudge as the next time they will meet, it will be as enemies, much to your surprise as he teleports out. Trindine then tells you that she returned the book and forgot about Sir Owen, but reassures you that he is fine before teleporting away.
Ariane will remain by the table, having declined to join the Zarosians as she wishes to live free. She advises you avoid visiting Gielinor's Elder Halls to prevent unnecessary attention, as she looks to create a research team to study the eggs.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 3 quest points
- 15,000 experience lamp
- 25,000 experience lamp
- XP lamp which grants 10,000 experience in a skill of choice
- The knowledge to restore the pontifex observation ring
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Music unlocked
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Azzanadra's Quest is not currently required for any quests or miniquests.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Development history[edit | edit source]
Mod Jack and Mod Raven worked on the quest, alongside some help from Mod Ramen and Mod Shrew. The dialogue for the quest totals about 25,000 words. A Trindine bobblehead pet was considered for this quest, but ultimately decided against. The quest was initially announced during RuneFest 2019 and then announced again with more details, teaser trailer and a release date during a stream on 16 February 2021. The latter announcement was preceded by Elder Gods' symbols being used on game's social media channels as a teaser, starting from 13 February 2021.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite 'Azzanadra's Quest' being first announced at RuneFest 2019, Mod Jack revealed in early 2020 that an Azzanadra Quest would no longer be released. However in February 2021 it was revealed it was planned to be released on 22 February 2021.
- The quest features Sir Owen, who hadn't appeared since The Death of Chivalry quest released in 2013, excluding a minor appearance in the Grand Party, as his storyline was meant to be continued in the as of yet unreleased sequel. Following consultations with Mod Stu, responsible for Sir Owen's story, it was decided to bring the character back in Azzanadra's Quest with the caveat that the events of the sequel are assumed to have happened. This allowed them to use the character again rather than keeping him suspended, while also still allowing for The Death of Chivalry sequel to be potentially released in the future as a quest set in the past in relation to the current story. As this decision was viewed as potentially controversial, Mod Jack has explained their reasoning during the announcement stream.
- Because Sir Owen occasionally visits Sir Amik Varze's room in Falador Castle as a roaming NPC, if the player has reached the point where the quest version of Sir Owen also visits Sir Amik Varze, it is possible to witness two different versions of Sir Owen present at the same time.
- One of the options the player could choose to stop the Archivist from assaulting them and Trindine in the Hall of Memories is "Stop the count!" This is a reference to a tweet by former United States president Donald Trump during the 2020 United States presidential election.
- Selecting the option to "try and block out the voices" during the shadow and light voice interaction prompts the player to state "I can hear you, but I won't." This is a lyrical reference to the song "Into the Unknown" from Frozen II.
- When speaking with Trindine outside the entrance to the TzHaar City, the player describes her summary of events with the line "It's a bit of an oversimplification, but close enough." This is a reference to a line from the character Agent Woo in the Marvel Cinematic Universe TV series 'WandaVision' from an episode that aired only weeks before the release of the quest.
- At one point in the quest, Gregorovic says "Can't catch me, I'm the injured dead man!" This is a reference to the The Gingerbread Man, where he says, "You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man."
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b c ⬢ ◆ ▼ ⯂. 16 February 2021.
- ^ Jagex. "Elder God Wars: Azzanadra's Quest." 16 February 2021. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Jack. Mod Jack is working on the new quest. Discord. 25 January 2021. ""'jack is up working on the new quest' This is actually true""*
- ^ Mod Jack. Ramen helping on new quest. Discord. 01/02/2021. "ramen and uh... I don't know his mod name have been helping a bit"*
- ^ Mod Jack. Mod Shrew helped develop Azzanadra's Quest. Discord. 16 February 2020. "oh we completely forgot to mention mod shrew"*
- ^ Mod Jack. 25,000 words. Discord. 01 February 2021. "there's tweaks here and there, but I think this dialogue is done. apparently I accidentally wrote 25,000 words"*
- ^ Mod Raven. No Trindine bobblehead pet as reward for new quest. Discord. 26 January 2021. "Tiny Trindine is a no. We were going to do it, then we got the daily reminders and now you have invoked OUR IRE!!!!"*
- ^ Jagex. "RuneFest 2019 - All the announcements!." 5 October 2019. RuneScape News.
- ^ Elder God Wars: Azzanadra's Quest - Teaser. YouTube. 16 February 2021.*
- ^ Mod Jack. Azzanadra Quest is cancelled. Discord. 13 March 2020. "I think I can safely say now that there won't be an "azzanadra quest""*
|Related miscellaneous content|