Inspecting an augmented item
Augmentation is the process by which players use their Invention skill to enhance weapons, shields, armour, and tools. Items can be augmented with the use of an augmentor, and a gizmo shell can then be added to hold various perks. Most augmented items degrade in combat using the universal charge pack, rather than using the Equipment degradation system. Augmentable items that normally degrade to dust are created with their own pool of charges, and drain that pool exclusively. An augmentable item cannot be augmented in a broken state.
Augmented items are not tradeable; however, the process can be reversed with an augmentation dissolver, although this will permanently destroy the augmentor and any attached gizmos. In addition, if the item was degradable prior to augmentation, it will revert to its fully degraded form. Additionally, they cannot be brought to a duel at the Duel Arena.
On death, any augmented equipment which is not protected will drain two hours worth of drain rate when it is recovered; e.g. if a 1 charge/second drain weapon is not protected, it drains 7200 charges on recovery.
Disassembling and siphoning[edit | edit source]
After levelling your item, you can choose to disassemble or siphon it for Invention experience. Disassembling it gives more experience earlier, but destroys both the item and the augmentor.
Items can acquire experience prior to unlocking the ability to level them.
The level effect is cumulative; a level 10 item will have all the previous effects.
|Invention experience (tier 80)
||Disassembling this item has a 50% chance to return installed gizmos.
||Disassembling this item gives double materials.
||Disassembling this item never gives junk.
||This item drains 10% less charge when used.
||Disassembling this item gives triple materials.
||Disassembling this item gives an extra random uncommon material.
||Disassembling this item returns all installed gizmos.
||Disassembling this item gives quadruple materials.
||Disassembling this item gives the maximum extra Invention XP.
||Siphoning this item gives the maximum extra Invention XP.
||Siphoning this item has a 50% chance to not consume the siphon.
||This item drains 12.5% less charge when used.
||This item can now be used with an Equipment separator.
||Siphoning this item no longer consumes the siphon.
||Using the Equipment separator on this item has a 25% chance to not consume the separator.
||This item drains 15% less charge when used.
||Using the Equipment separator on this item has a 50% chance to not consume the separator.
||Helpful perks will activate 10% (multiplicative) more frequently. See Perk benefits for a list of perks that are known to be affected.
Dyed versions of augmentable weapons and armour are also augmentable.
A teaser list of augmentable items from RuneFest
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 13 July 2020 (Update):
- Updated the warning message for uncharged augmented items that do not use the Universal Charge Pack.
- patch 18 May 2020 (Update):
- Lady Ithell is now able to upgrade augmented dragon tools, carrying across the augment and perks.
- The Mattock of Time and Space can now be created using augmented mattocks. Players will be able to carry across the augment and perks from one of the mattocks used in creation.
- patch 24 February 2020 (Update):
- Fixed a client crash that was caused by equipping specific uncharged augmented gear.
- ninja 2 October 2017 (Update):
- Chat messages that players receive when an augmented item levels up are now shorter.
- patch 13 March 2017 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to destroy augmented items by dragging them from the worn interface.
- patch 19 December 2016 (Update):
- Using an augmented tool with no charges in the charge pack will no longer cause disconnects.
- hotfix 14 November 2016 (Update):
- An issue that was disconnecting players when using uncharged variants of dyed augmented armour was fixed.
- patch 26 September 2016 (Update):
- Uncharged augmented items will now correctly protect on death in PvP situations.
- patch 1 August 2016 (Update):
- T85, T90 and a few other augmented items will no longer create a copy when keepsaked.
- ninja 13 June 2016 (Update):
- Upgraded God Wars Dungeon 2, Malevolent, Sirenic & Tectonic armours can now be augmented at an Invention workbench using a non-degraded piece with an augmentor and 36 divine charges. Already degraded armour cannot be augmented. These armour pieces use their own charge, rather than the main charge pack. Once all charge is used and the item is at Lv10 it becomes uncharged and can no longer be used. Gear upgraded in this way cannot use augmentation dissolvers.
- Shields, tier 70 and above, may now be augmented. Augmented shields can take one armour gizmo. They gain item XP and drain divine charge at the same rates as off-hand weapons.
- Augmented shieldbows may now take up to one weapon and one armour gizmo.
- Item XP and XP until the next item level now appears in an augmented item's tooltip and in the chat window when checked during combat.
- The Destroy option for augmented equipment has been changed to Disassemble. Players can still destroy these by dragging them from the bank (such as if a player wishes to reclaim tokens for chaotic gear).