|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Cooldown||20.4 seconds (34 ticks)|
|Reach out with magical force and choke the target.
Asphyxiate is a Magic threshold ability with no level requirements. When activated, the player telekinetically strangles the target, dealing four hits of 37.6 to 188% ability damage each. The ability deals one hit every 1.2 seconds and lasts for 4.2 seconds. Each successful hit momentarily stuns the target.
Asphyxiate is noteworthy for being one of the most powerful threshold abilities in the game, as each individual attack has a chance of dealing a high amount of damage (up to about 4,000). A player with high level gear and stats could potentially deal over 10,000 damage in one use of Asphyxiate, particularly if wielding a staff or dual wielding.
Cancelling Asphyxiate[edit | edit source]
Cancelling Asphyxiate can help increase damage output because the final hit is applied before the ability is done. By activating another ability when the Asphyxiate icon has two seconds remaining, when the final hit and sound effect occur, players avoid losing out on Asphyxiate's damage and waste no time in using their next ability. The timing of this move is the same as when cancelling Destroy or using Snipe. If done correctly, the next ability will land the tick after the fourth and final Asphyxiate hit.
A good way to practice timing this move is by cancelling Asphyxiate with Dragon Breath or another ability at the training dummies in Lumbridge. Turning the sound up and timing using Asphyxiate's sound effects can help players struggling to execute this move consistently.
DPS comparison[edit | edit source]
The following section is based on damage output calculations that can be found at Calculator:Revolution. A further breakdown of ability damage can be seen below.
- Wild Magic is the best damage output magic ability. It should be used on cooldown, if adrenaline is not needed for Sunshine.
- Asphyxiate should be the second ability used to maximize damage. This is a channelled attack.
- Deep Impact when used with the Flanking 3 perk.
- Smoke Tendrils is next best magic DPS threshold. This is a channelled attack.
|Flanking 3 + Deep Impact||60.2%|
Although Flanking 3 + Deep Impact has less AADPT than a perfectly cancelled Asphyxiate, Flanking 3 + Deep Impact only takes one global cooldown (3 game ticks) to cast, while Asphyxiate is channelled.
Comparison to Rapid Fire and Destroy[edit | edit source]
Advantages[edit | edit source]
- 20 seconds cooldown compared to Assault's 30 seconds
- Available for F2P players
Neutral[edit | edit source]
- Similar total damage
- Similar length
Disadvantages[edit | edit source]
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- As one of the most powerful Magic abilities, use it wisely. Tend to use this ability when your target's Freedom is not ready.
- Use Anticipation before using this ability to avoid getting stunned while hitting your target.
- Use Wild Magic right after Asphyxiate ends to finish off your opponent.
- If combined with Metamorphosis or Sunshine, the damage output will be higher than most other abilities.
Countertactics[edit | edit source]
- Stunning your target can counter this ability.
- Reflect could both halve your damage received and damage your opponent, leaving them in a dangerous state.
- It is possible to use Freedom then run outside the range of your opponent, cancelling the remaining duration of the ability.
Monsters that use Asphyxiate[edit | edit source]
- Armadylean battle-mage
- Armadylean shaman
- Armadylean shaman (Treasure Trails)
- Bandit Brawler
- Bandosian battle-mage
- Bandosian wild mage
- Black Heather
- Cadarn magus
- Chaos witch channeler
- Cloaked zealot
- Eye of Cythan
- Hand of Dagnath
- Imperial mage akh
- JMod clone
- Lady Himiko
- Manifestation of Erethdor
- Maw of Kolthregar
- Monkey spirit
- Saradominist field medic
- Saradominist sage
- Saradominist thaumaturge
- Seasinger priestess
- Shrine Maiden Elei
- Ulthven necromancer
- Zamorakian leader
- Zamorakian occultist
- Zamorakian warlock (Battle of Lumbridge)
Cosmetic overrides[edit | edit source]
Asphyxiate has the following cosmetic overrides:
|Corrupted Asphyxiate||4 September 2023||Hero Pass: Underworld|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 8 February 2021 (Update):
- Player movement will no longer be delayed when trying to move during a channelled combat ability.
- patch 6 July 2020 (Update):
- The Dragon Breath ability will now animate correctly even when the Asphyxiate animation is appearing.
- patch 9 September 2019 (Update):
- The buff timers for Flurry, Destroy and Asphyxiate now countdown reliably
- patch 14 December 2015 (Update):
- The Hurricane ability will no longer put Asphyxiate on cooldown incorrectly.
- patch 15 September 2014 (Update):
- patch 17 February 2014 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Asphyxiate ability could be a reference to the Force Choke power from the Star Wars franchise.
- Asphyxiate was known as Choke in the test servers for the Evolution of Combat.