|Release||26 November 2013 (Update)|
|Banks||1 (After A Shadow over Ashdale)|
|doc • Talk page|
Ashdale is a peaceful cliff-top island village found south of the Feldip Hills and west of Ape Atoll. The village was founded over 400 years ago, and is where people from all across Gielinor go to have a more peaceful life, as nothing very interesting happened there until recently.
Gudrik the dwarf, found in Port Sarim, may take people there and teach them the basics of RuneScape. There, they will also fight off an attack by Morwenna the Cruel. It is the setting of the quest A Shadow over Ashdale and the former location of the game's tutorial before Tutorial Island was reintroduced.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Use the Lodestone Network to teleport to the town centre of Ashdale
- Games necklace teleport to Agoroth in the Ashdale Caves (after completion of A Shadow over Ashdale)
- Speaking to Gudrik in Port Sarim
Description and features[edit | edit source]
Ashdale is accessed from a dock found to the south of the island, which, unlike the rest of the island, is at sea level. The dock is home to many boats, most of which are relatively small, and a beacon to guide them past the outlying rocks to the island.
The rest of the island can be accessed by climbing stairs from the dock onto the cliffs that the village farms and more are situated on. Just at the top of the steps, a bridge can be found to the east, supported by two giant statues. The bridge leads to a small floating island, upon which the village's church to Saradomin can be found. Although it is a church, no altar to restore Prayer points can be found inside.
North of the steps, the village proper can be found. The east side of the village is home to many features, including a quarry home to copper and tin rocks, and a furnace with two anvils to smith on. Another dock and boat can also be found next to the mine, which is overseen by the quarry overseer. The east is also home to what appears to be a statue of Saint Elspeth and a small market. An entrance to the sewers can be found to the south-west behind one of the houses, although they can only be accessed during the A Shadow over Ashdale quest.
Further west is home to the farm, with Magda the seer's tower found on the path there. The farm is home to numerous cows and a cow-powered windmill, much like the one in the fairy kingdom of Zanaris. A storm drain south of the farm provides another entrance to the sewers, although like the other entrance, it can only be accessed during A Shadow over Ashdale. A small campfire can be found to the north of the farm, at which Digory Popplewell and Ned Swarbrick can be found. The fire, much like others in Gielinor, can be used to cook fish and other raw food.
A minnow pond can be found just south of the farm, where raw minnows can be fished using an ordinary fishing rod and some fishing bait. Another market can be found south of the pond, which has a statue of a sailor nearby, which a seagull occasionally perches atop. Further south, is a house which has a telescope looking out through the roof, and supported by cliffs which have some interesting drawings on them. This house was built by the Fourth Age architect Ogden Plainview, and can only be accessed during the A Shadow over Ashdale quest. During the quest, a staircase is discovered inside, which leads to the enormous Ashdale Caves.
Tutorial[edit | edit source]
Ashdale was the location of the RuneScape tutorial between 26 November 2013 and 2 September 2019. New players would find themselves on Ashdale automatically after they created their account, whilst more experienced players could access the island by speaking to Gudrik who was located in Taverley, just south-west of the bank, prior to the tutorial's complete removal.
If a player wanted to try out the new tutorial, you were required to bank all of their items before they could travel to Ashdale.
After nearly five years, the tutorial was replaced by Tutorial Island on 14 May 2018, following A/B testing. The tutorial was then completely removed on 2 September 2019 with the September Mobile Update, with all accounts still on the island being teleported to Burthorpe lodestone. The update aimed to clean up the starting areas of Burthorpe and Taverley to both declutter the areas and make for a more newbie-friendly starting experience.
Personalities[edit | edit source]
Gudrik, a dwarf who guides the player through the tutorial
Hendrik, a local fisherman
Digory Popplewell, a very happy man and friend of Ned
Ned Swarbrick, a grumpy man who claims that the Swarbrick family have been in Ashdale since the beginning
Magda, the local mystic and seer
Quarry overseer, the overseer of the quarry
Sarah, a young woman who seems to be familiar with the player
Morwenna the Cruel, a zombie necromancer and the main antagonist of the tutorial
Villager, the villagers around the island
Cow, the island cattle
Music[edit | edit source]
These songs are unlocked automatically and played during the tutorial, but they're not listed on the music player.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Introductory cutscene images[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 25 November 2019 (Update):
- Players who logged out on the Ashdale boat pier in Taverley prior to its removal will now be teleported to dry land.
- patch 14 May 2018 (Update):
- New players will now go to Tutorial Island by default instead of Ashdale if they select the New or Returner option at character creation. New players that elect to skip the Tutorial will still go to Burthorpe.
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- Ashdale is no longer visible in NXT from the Void Knight Outpost or the south shore of Feldip Hills.
- patch 20 October 2014 (Update):
- Tutorial skilling hints will no longer appear for high level players.
- patch 4 August 2014 (Update):
- The skip button on the cinematic at the start of the Ashdale tutorial has been standardised.
- A cutscene flyover of the Ashdale island has been added as part of the opening cinematic, which replaces the player's walk down the house stairs.
- The player will now face away from the Ashdale house if they logout and login again immediately after the cinematic.
- The river running through Ashdale has been improved.
- A graphical issue with Ashdale fishing spots has been fixed.
- patch 22 April 2014 (Update):
- Players who play RuneScape in minimum and low detail modes will now see that, when paying a visit to Ashdale, some locations have been recoloured to be better suited to the material that the location was built out of.
- A missing skybox within Ashdale has been added again.
- Some floating wooden steps used in Ashdale have been removed.
- The players' feet no longer appears through the wooden supports used in the Ashdale mine.
- Gudrik no longer disappears briefly during the church cutscene in the Ashdale tutorial.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- The 'examine' option for tin ore in Ashdale has been corrected.
- Some fishy props have been added around the fishing spots in Ashdale.
- Some graphically stretching textures in certain sections of grass in Ashdale have been fixed.
- All villagers in Ashdale are now using the correct idle set of animations.
- The wood texture used on a crane in Ashdale has been fixed.
- Some erroneous shadows on the bridge approaching the church in Ashdale have been removed.
- The pillars inside the Ashdale church now touch the ceilings.
- Wood texture colours are now consistent across Ashdale.
- Some new ivy models have been added around Ashdale.
- Various tweaks have been made to the environment and bloom settings used in Ashdale.
- A broken texture used on a quarry ship in Ashdale has been fixed.
- The church altar in Ashdale no longer appears as solid white when bloom is enabled.
- Some errant polygons in a wall near Magda's house have been fixed.
- A cart in Ashdale no longer floats.
- Players can no longer stand inside a pillar of a bridge in Ashdale.
- The forge roof in Ashdale has been lowered to ensure it doesn't float.
- Fixed a small hole in a cliff in Ashdale.
- Another layer of flooring has been added to a building in Ashdale, to stop the building floating.
- A floating fishing spot in Ashdale has been removed.
- Some scenery has been added, stopping players from walking behind a building in Ashdale.
- A rock that had a green version of a rock texture on it has been fixed.
- Some models have been extended to appear underwater near the docks in Ashdale to prevent the area looking like it's floating.
- A crate has been moved, so it doesn't appear inside a wall in Ashdale.
- Some variations of window and hanging flower baskets have been added to the buildings in Ashdale.
- The camera angle used when the camera pans to the fishing spots has been tweaked.
- The dock area in Ashdale has been updated, allowing players to walk among the boats.
- Gudrik no longer runs off out of the player's view when leaving the church area in Ashdale.
- patch 17 February 2014 (Update):
- The tombs used inside the church in Ashdale have been updated to make them look less like coffins.
- patch 3 December 2013 (Update):
- Minnow has been added to the relevant skill advance guides.
- A blank task window which occasionally appeared in the Ashdale tutorial has been removed.
- Beginning the Ashdale tutorial now stops music playlists from playing, in order to ensure that players hear the correct music.
- The screen no longer stretches when entering the Ashdale tutorial in fixed-screen mode.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On day of release, a bug occurred where existing players could not enter Ashdale despite un-equipping all armour. This could be worked-around by summoning a Beast of Burden and then dismissing it.
- Despite supposedly being the start of the player's adventure, Magda implies the tutorial to be set in the Sixth Age, after the Battle of Lumbridge and the events of all Fifth Age quests, which all players canonically participated in. This dialogue became only accessible after the tutorial with the release of A Shadow over Ashdale.
- It previously did not show up on the World Map in Java due to technical constraints, although the "You are here" marker still appeared south-east of Sophanem when you were there, and the sea where it can be found is marked as a non-members area. It was visible on the map in HTML5. With the release of A Shadow over Ashdale, it was moved south of Oo'glog and became visible on the map.
|Scenery||Dead man's chest|