Asgarnia Smith is an archaeologist found beside the rug merchant in the Bedabin Camp. He is the starting point for the Desert Treasure quest.
Smith was originally from a humbler background, as he recounts fishing for bass in Catherby. His discovery of an ancient casket, which contained a meager amount of coins, struck an epiphany within him and he applied to be a field agent to the Varrock Museum. In this capacity, he has earned great wealth through corrupt means by witholding some of the valuable artefacts he discovered, but continues his job out of genuine thrill and satisfaction.
Although his friend and colleague Terry Balando sheds a positive light on his contributions to the museum, Smith is prone to dishonesty, vanity and showboating his achievements, which includes: first to discover the Temple of Ikov and Brimhaven Arena, being voted "Archaeologist of the year" consecutively for four years on the Varrock Herald as well as recovering a Karamjan artefact known as the Golden Monkey of Tee-Tah-Toh.
By the events of Desert Treasure, he was conducting excavations on behalf of the Archaeological Society of Varrock. Smith then sends the player to obtain a translation for the tablet he obtained, and requests their assistance with the promise of splitting any found wealth. After the quest is completed, the player returns to him sans any treasure and he will disappointingly lament his foiled holiday plans, expressing the intent to hunt for treasure in Karamja next.
Asgarnia Smith may be recruited to the player's research team as a part of the Archaeology skill once the player has the guildmaster qualification, has completed Desert Treasure, and has given him an ourg megahitter from Warforge.
He has the following effects on the research expeditions:
He appears as a professor in the Team Management interface, and his description is "Four-time winner of the 'Archaeologist of the Year' award."
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- 30 March 2020 (Update):
- NPC name changed from "Archaeologist" to "Asgarnia Smith".
- patch 20 May 2013 (Update):
- The Archaeologist no longer has mismatched skin tones.
- Like Orlando Smith and Anna Jones, Asgarnia Smith is a reference to Indiana Jones, the titular character in the Indiana Jones series of films. His name is akin to Jones' as well, with the name of an area as his first name (Asgarnia is a kingdom in Gielinor, and Indiana is an American state), and a very common surname (Jones and Smith are both common in Western cultures).
- He shares the same last name as Orlando Smith, although relation between the two is unknown.
- After gathering the four Diamonds of Azzanadra, you can mention this to him. He would ask you to have two over as per your deal, but you would refuse saying they are the key to the real treasure, which he is more excited about. After the quest is complete however, he will be disappointed as he is more interested in gold than "unbelievable magical power".
- ^ Asgarnia Smith, RuneScape. "Well, it all started the day I was fishing in Catherby, funnily enough."
- ^ Asgarnia Smith, RuneScape. "Well, it might not seem much to us now kid, but back then, it was a revelation! Why waste my time fishing when there were secret treasures from long ago hidden around the world? I immediately applied to the Museum of Varrock as a field agent, and the rest is history!"
- ^ a b Asgarnia Smith, "Desert Treasure", RuneScape. "Well anyway, let's just assume there's a treasure hidden in the desert somewhere, and let's just say for the sake of argument that maybe if I found a big stash of gold and treasure I wouldn't necessarily hand it all over to the Museum of Varrock."
- ^ Asgarnia Smith, RuneScape. "Ah, don't sweat it kid. I'll be honest with ya - I'm already rich many times over, and its more the kicks of being a treasure hunter I do it for than the actual cash!"
- ^ Translation, "Desert Treasure", RuneScape. "Hopefully this translation will help you in your excavations Asgarnia, and as usual I look forward to seeing what relics you bring back to the Museum of Varrock this time! Your friend, as always, Terry Balando."
- ^ Archaeological expert, "Desert Treasure", RuneScape. "You spoke to the legendary Asgarnia Smith??? Quickly, let me see what he had to give you! He is always at the forefront of archaeological breakthroughs!"
- ^ Asgarnia Smith, RuneScape. "Hey, thanks kid. Looking snazzy is an important part of being a treasure hunter!"
- ^ Asgarnia Smith, RuneScape. "I'm the leading archaeological expert of our time! I was voted archaeologist of the year four years running by the Varrock Herald! Are you REALLY sure you've never heard of me?"
- ^ Asgarnia Smith, RuneScape. "I am the one who discovered the long forgotten Temple of Ikov! The one who unearthed the strange trap filled arena in Brimhaven!"
- ^ Asgarnia Smith, RuneScape. "Well, while he was screaming and waving his sword around, I stood behind a nearby stalactite, then shot him with my shortbow. And that was how I recovered the Golden Monkey of Tee-Ta-Toh."
- ^ Asgarnia Smith, RuneScape. "Well, that's where you'd be wrong. I work for the Archaeological Society of Varrock, and have been excavating around here recently."
- ^ Asgarnia Smith, RuneScape. "Aw... I was hoping to go abroad on holiday this year. Maybe I'll go check out Karamja next, I hear there's treasure to be found there..."