Arrows are a type of ammunition used with bows. They are craftable by players using the Fletching skill. To do that, players must have some arrowshafts (cut from most types of log), feathers and arrowheads. The arrow made is determined by the type of arrowheads used.
Arrows have a chance of breaking after being fired, losing the arrow. According to Roddeck, if the arrow has been broken, the arrow will not appear on the ground to be picked up. The chance of losing an arrow after shooting is approximately 20%, but this decreases gradually with an increase in the player's Ranged level.
One method of preventing losing dropped arrows is to use Ava's device, which collects dropped arrows. This requires the player to have completed the Animal Magnetism quest.
Arrows may be used with bows that are a lower level than themselves but their damage will be capped at the bow's level. For example, if one were to use level 60 dragon arrows with the level 40 yew shortbow, the arrows would perform as a level 40 arrow because the bow is level 40. Equally, if one were to use level 30 Mithril arrows with a level 70 dark bow, the arrows would still perform as level 30 despite the higher level bow.
There are several kinds of special arrows aside from the normal arrows described above.
- Ice arrows are used in the Temple of Ikov quest, and they are found (and not made). These arrows are used to kill Fire Warrior of Lesarkus in the quest.
- Ogre arrows are arrows that are made with wolf bones instead of the usual metals, and they are also used in quests and Chompy hunting.
- Brutal arrows are arrows that are made with metallic nails instead of arrowheads, and are generally weaker than their normal counterparts. Brutal arrows are mainly used in the quest Zogre Flesh Eaters, and for killing zogres.
- Broad arrows are frequently used in Slayer assignments, and they can be either bought from Slayer Masters or fletched by the players themselves, if they have bought such an ability from a Slayer Master.
- God arrows are a possible clue scroll reward from any level clue scroll. These arrows each have a 1/10 chance of dealing extra damage, however, when used in conjunction with the appropriate god bow this chance increases to 1/5. There are currently 3 different types of god arrows:
- Bane arrows are made by using Tune Bane Ore on bane ore, smelting the ore, smithing the bars on the anvil in Kethsi, and fletching them. There are four types of bane arrows:
- Elder God arrows are made by infusing dinarrows with the resonant anima (tradeable or untradeable) gathered within the Elder God Wars Dungeon. There are five types of Elder God arrows:
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 14 January 2013 (Update):
- An animation has been implemented for adding feathers to bolts and arrows.
- update 23 June 2001 (Update):
- Fixed a bug with arrows of different types not stacking on the ground properly.
- update 27 January 2001 (Update):
- Arrows now fire 25% faster.
- Fixed the cheat/bug which some people were using to shoot super rapidly.