Armour spikes are a consumable item that can inflict damage to enemies attacking from adjacent tiles. 1,000 armour spikes can be smithed from one elder rune bar, requiring level 90 Smithing and 1,000 Smithing progress, and awarding 1,000 Smithing experience. The smithing of armour spikes is not assistable. They can be equipped in the ammunition slot, although this is not necessary for the activation of their effect.
Though they are untradeable, based on the current Grand Exchange price of elder rune bars, one armour spike would have a virtual value of 16.93 coins.
Players can upgrade them into alloy-enhanced armour spikes by smithing 1,000 armour spikes with a concentrated alloy bar at 99 Smithing, awarding 100 experience. 1,000 alloy armour spikes are created this way.
Armour spikes can be carried in the inventory or equipped in the ammo slot. They cannot be placed in a Tirannwn quiver.
One armour spike is consumed per activation and inflicts damage to the opponent equal to the player's current Smithing level, capping at 106 with the use of pulse cores. If the player has any shield equipped, the damage they deal is doubled, and if a defender is equipped, the damage is increased by 50% rounded down.
For armour spikes' effect to activate, all of the following conditions must be met:
- Armour spikes are carried in the inventory or equipped in the ammo slot.
- Only melee weapons are equipped.
- Melee torso and leg armour are worn.
- The player is attacked by an enemy (both successful and blocked hits suffice).
- The enemy is directly adjacent to the player with no game squares in between. Armour spikes do not work at a range of 2 (halberds). The enemy only needs to be adjacent; their combat style is irrelevant (i.e. they do not need to attack with melee).
If a monster dies to armour spike damage without having taken damage from any other source, the player will receive credit for the kill and receive appropriate experience.
Armour spikes ×1000
|1,000 XP||-||100 (60s) ||-|
| Smithing level||90|
|You must use a normal Anvil or Forge|
| Members only|
|Elder rune bar||1||16,935||16,935|The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Reflected damage from armour spikes and deathtouched bracelets is now applied at Nex: Angel of Death.
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- Armour spikes will no longer damage targets that cannot be attacked by normal means.
- ninja 10 June 2019 (Update):.
- Players can now upgrade armour spikes with alloy bars. Alloy armour spikes work in the same way but have a 10% chance to increase their damage from 100 to 1000% of your Smithing level. Shields continue to double the effectiveness of both spikes.
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- Renamed "Armour Spike" to "Armour Spikes".
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- Armour spikes will no longer damage invulnerable enemies.
- Armour spikes will now be kept on death.
- Armour spikes now works correctly on larger monsters.
- hotfix 14 January 2019 (Update):
- Players no longer receive a debug message when trying to use armour spikes from a distance.