Armour spikes are a consumable item that give the player using them a 'thorns' effect. 1000 armour spikes can be smithed from one elder rune bar, requiring level 90 Smithing and awarding 1000 Smithing experience. When held in the inventory or equipped in the ammunition slot, they can inflict damage back to enemies attacking from adjacent tiles.
Though untradeable, based on the current Grand Exchange price of elder rune bars, one armour spike would have a virtual value of 9.93 coins.
Armour spikes can be carried in the inventory or equipped in the ammo slot. They cannot be placed in a Tirannwn quiver.
Armour spikes' effect only activates when all of the following conditions are met:
- Armour spikes are carried in the inventory or equipped in the ammo slot.
- Only melee weapons are equipped.
- Melee torso and leg armour are worn.
- The player is attacked by an enemy (successful and blocked hits both work).
- The enemy is directly adjacent to the player with no game squares inbetween. Armour spikes do not work at a range of 2 (halberds). The enemy only needs to be adjacent; the attack style of the enemy is irrelevant (i.e. they do not need to use melee).
One armour spike is consumed every time the player is attacked, with the enemy taking 90-99 melee stab damage, based on Smithing level. If the player is wielding a melee shield, the damage dealt by the armour spikes is doubled (180-198) and increased by 50% (135-148.5) if using a melee defender.
If a monster dies to armour spike damage without having taken damage from any other source, the player will receive credit for the kill (and receive appropriate experience).
Armour spikes ×1000
| Smithing level||90|
|Normal Anvil or Forge|
| Members only||Yes|
|Elder rune bar||1||9,926||9,926|
The update history project
is a work-in-progress - not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- Renamed "Armour Spike" to "Armour Spikes".
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- Armour spikes will no longer damage invulnerable enemies.
- Armour Spikes will now be kept on death.
- Armour spikes now works correctly on larger monsters.
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- At level 90, smiths can make untradeable armour spikes to use in combat. These are consumables which go in the ammo slot (or backpack) and deal damage to enemies that hit you from adjacent tiles.