Armies of Gielinor
|Armies of Gielinor|
|Release dates||15 January 2009|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Players summon fighting units from the RuneScape world, including a King Black Dragon, which despite being the most powerful unit in the game was available even to non-members. These were used to fight other players, with up to 8 different players per game. There were 75 distinct units, although the most a player could have available during a single game is 41. Members could play Rated games, which would earn them runes to buy additional fighting units, gods, equipment and prestige coats of arms.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Following the closure on Funorb on the 7th August 2018, Armies of Gielinor is no longer playable.
Armies of Gielinor was a turn based strategy game involving the interaction of units on a square grid. Players started with a Barbarian Chieftain, which was able to capture buildings, the most important being a nearby portal. Once a portal has been captured, the player was able to summon units using Mana. Units were used to fight the other players. Many units were aligned with a particular god, and require the player to have a suitably high favour to summon them. Favour was increased by summoning a unit of the highest level possible for that god. There were also neutral units, which can be summoned if the player has a high enough favour with any god, or by creating neutral units. The aim of the game was to fulfil one of three victory conditions, before any of the other players. These victory conditions were:
- Defeat all opponents (by capturing all their portals and killing all their units).
- Accumulate the maximum victory points for the level.
- Accumulate the most victory points when the turn limit expires.
Victory points were gained each turn, based on the number of villages, portals and towers the player has. Villages gave 25 victory points, portals gave 50 victory points and towers gave 75 victory points. However, if an enemy player placed a unit on top of theses structures, the amount of Mana and victory points they yielded was halved. A small amount of victory points was also given to the players at the start of the game, based on the turn order. This is 25 victory points for each player that has a turn before the player.
This game also had keyboard shortcuts such as pressing SPACE to cycle through units as well as going right to where the action is, and ENTER lights up units that hadn't moved yet.
Music[edit | edit source]
All music tracks had been altered for Armies of Gielinor.
Units[edit | edit source]
- Saradomin: Monk, Paladin, Saradomin Owl, Saradomin Ranger, White Knight, Saradomin Mage, Unicorn, Lion, Centaur, Priest, Icyene
- Zamorak: Werewolf, Necromancer, Skeleton, Zamorak Ranger, Black Knight, Zamorak Mage, Hellhound, Greater Demon, Pyrelord, Gargoyle, Sea Slug
- Guthix: Wolf, Druid, Black Dwarf Guard, Void Knight, Mounted Terrorbird, Dwarf Cannon, Gnomecopter, Moss Giant, Ent, Jade Vine, Battle Tortoise
- Seren: Black Bear, Falcon, Dire Wolf, Grenwall, Elven Archer, Elven Pikeman, Elf Shieldmaiden, Elf Lord, Elven Songtress, Elf Lady, Crystalline Shapeshifter
- Bandos: Goblin, Goblin Priest, Hobgoblin, Ogre, Jogre, Mogre, Ogress, Cyclops, Ourg, Ogre Shaman, Ork
- Menaphite Pantheon: Crocodile, Menaphite Thug, Jackal, Locust, Bedabin Nomad, Icthlarin Warrior, Mummy, Sphinx, Scarabite Mage, Kalphite Queen, Elemental of Elidinis
- Zaros: Necromancer, Zaros Ranger, Zaros Mage, Werewolf, Skeleton, Black Knight, Hellhound, Greater Demon, Gargoyle, Pyrelord
- Neutral Units: Barbarian, Gorilla, Aviansie, Barbarian Spear Woman, Tzhaar-Ket, Dagannoth, Portal Mage, King Black Dragon, Red Dragon, Penance Ranger (removed)
- Other units: Blue Dragon, Barrows brothers, Flame Keepers (TzHaar-Kets)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Units in Armies of Gielinor have different strength than their RuneScape counterparts have. For example, Paladins are level 68 in RuneScape, yet they only have 10 Strength while the Black Knight, with only level 33 has 25 Strength. However, its possible for them to have weakened or strengthened over the years.
- This is the only game that has ever topped Arcanists as most popular game in FunOrb.
- The Crystalline Shapeshifter unit was originally the only Armies of Gielinor unit not also found in RuneScape. However, with the release of The Light Within, they can now be found in Tarddiad, albeit with an entirely different appearance.
- Several units in Armies of Gielinor, mainly the Hobgoblin and Ogre variants, were graphically updated versions of their RuneScape counterparts, even though the RuneScape variants were still using older graphics.