|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Shop||Aris' Reward Shop|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Aris Maye is a fortuneteller who runs Aris' Reward Shop in her tent in Varrock Square. The sign outside her tent has a large blinking eye. Aris and her tent received a graphical makeover on 15 December 2009.
She is involved in Recipe for Disaster and Dimension of Disaster, and has great knowledge about the history of Gielinor. She also has vast magical powers; for example, she casts a Tempus Cessit spell in the beginning of Recipe for Disaster to stop time. She serves as a member of the Secret Council of Gielinor, but arrives late to the latest meeting.
It appears she also has an inhuman lifespan. She claims to be seven times as old as the number of legs on the stools in the Blue Moon Inn, which would make her either 224, 266, or 364, depending on whether she is referring to the bar room only, the entire lower level, or both downstairs and upstairs, respectively.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Graphical updates[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 24 February 2020 (Update):
- The word ‘Gypsy’ has been removed from Aris’ name and examine text as this word could be interpreted as a racial slur.
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- The "Complete" quick-option on Gypsy Aris has been renamed to "Skip" to make it clearer that you are bypassing all remaining steps and forcing the current replay of Dimension of Disaster into a completed state.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- Gypsy Aris now has an option to finish a replay of Dimension of Disaster, setting the remaining sub-quests to a completed state, and closing the portal to New Varrock. This option only becomes available after completing a replay of Coin of the Realm. Using this feature to complete Dimension of Disaster will not award silver pennies or Zemomarks.
- patch 16 February 2010 (Update):
- Gypsy Aris’s chat has been corrected so she doesn't keep waffling on.
- patch 15 December 2009 (Update):
- The Demon Slayer and Vampire Slayer quests have received some graphical improvements (including changes to Gypsy Aris and Draynor Manor).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Aris used to be referred to as a gypsy. The term is sometimes used to describe the Romani peoples, an ethnic group that originated from northwestern India. However, on 24 February 2020, the term was removed from both her name and her examine text due to its potential to be used as a racial slur to denote illegality or irregularity. Despite this, she is still called Gypsy Aris in Old School RuneScape.
- Aris was only referred to as "Gypsy" in RuneScape Classic although speaking with Sir Prysin would reveal her actual name. Her name would be officially changed to "Gypsy Aris" in RuneScape 2 as her importance in quests grew.
- In the old version of Demon Slayer, she reveals that she is a follower of Guthix.
- During Recipe for Disaster she refers to herself as the Wise Old Man's "bubbykins", indicating a possible (maybe past) relationship between the two. The Culinaromancer also exclaims "You!" after spotting Aris, hinting that they have battled before.
- She has a gravestone in the New Varrock graveyard which reads "Aris Maye. The reports of her death have been greatly exaggerated." This is a reference to the American writer commonly known as Mark Twain.
- When called as a witness during Court Cases, her character is still referred to as Fortuneteller instead of Aris.
|Initial subquest of Recipe for Disaster|
|Initial subquest of Dimension of Disaster|
|A subquest of Dimension of Disaster|