|Release date||20 April 2015 (Update)|
|Room cost||200,000 coins|
|Completion cost||217,687 coins|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Aquarium is a room in a player-owned house where players can showcase their Fishing skill. Building an Aquarium requires level 63 Construction and 200,000 coins. The room was suggested on the forums and chosen by players in a Player Power poll. The Aquarium can only be built on the ground level, and has 4 doors. Players can only have one Aquarium at a time, but it can be removed and placed somewhere else without losing any progress. The Aquarium is one of the few updates for which a design document was made public.
There are five types of hotspots available and special objects for underwater usage:
- Centrepiece wall - Scenery.
- Diving suit - An outfit that allows certain daily and weekly rewards to be collected.
- Supply - Scenery.
- Prawnbroker - Location and type of shack the Prawnbroker resides in.
- Fish-head - Scenery similar to the big fish in the Skill Hall.
- Underwater - Scenery and rewards accessible through certain diving suits.
Fish[edit | edit source]
Before purchasing prawn perks, the player will receive either a prawn ball, prawn cracker or golden prawn cracker for every 35,000 life points worth of fish fished. The prawn balls can be opened by one player, while the crackers have to be used on another player. Both players will receive a reward. Once in a while when fishing, you will receive a golden fish egg of the type you are fishing, so long as you don't already have that egg. You can also get golden fish eggs from prawn balls or crackers, from golden prawn crackers, from the Motherlode Maw, or once from the Prawnbroker. Players may toggle the option to receive prawn balls while fishing by talking to the Prawnbroker.
There are fourteen golden fish eggs to collect, and you can put the eggs in the bathysphere to make a fish appear in your aquarium. Right-clicking the bathysphere gives you the option to view your fish list showing you which fish you have found and which ones you still need. Each egg collected will let you unlock one of the fifteen prawn perks at the Prawnbroker. You can also get four more prawn perks by collecting 1, 20, 100 and 200 prawn balls. Unlocking 15 prawn perks is a requirement for the completionist cape, and collecting all 18 prawn perks is a requirement for the trimmed completionist cape.
An additional aquatic creature, the great white shark, is unlocked at the same time Sayln the Shark is purchased from the prawnbroker. Unlike the other creatures, the Great white shark is not lost when the plug is pulled.
If the aquarium is removed, any fish unlocked remain after the room is rebuilt, but all furniture will be lost.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
When you get a Golden mystery egg, save it to use on your last/hardest eggs. If, for example, you don't want to fish in the Living rock caverns, wait to open your mystery egg until all the others are collected - that will force it to be a golden rocktail egg. If you don't have a mystery egg, ask people because many players will have a stockpile of left over and essentially useless Golden Prawn Crackers.
Because you receive prawn balls based on how many life points the fish heal, you should generally catch fish that give the highest life points per hour, until you've received that egg, and then potentially move on to the next best. This table lists the 14 fish approximately in order of life points fished per hour at 99 Fishing. Using a rod with the Polishing perk can also upgrade eggs; if the player were to catch a monkfish which provided a monkfish egg, the perk would not only upgrade the monkfish to a shark, but also the golden monkfish eggs to golden shark eggs. If the new egg has already been added to the aquarium, the received egg will be destroyed.
|Optimal order for the most Prawn balls||Fishing Level|
|Leaping sturgeon||Golden leaping sturgeon eggs||70|
|Leaping trout||Golden leaping trout eggs||48|
|Leaping salmon||Golden leaping salmon eggs||58|
|Monkfish||Golden monkfish eggs||62|
|Swordfish/Tuna||Golden swordfish/tuna eggs||50/35|
|Lobster||Golden lobster eggs||40|
|Salmon/Trout||Golden salmon/trout eggs||30/20|
|Shark||Golden shark eggs||76|
|Lava eel||Golden lava eel eggs||53|
|Rocktail||Golden rocktail eggs||90|
|Cavefish||Golden cavefish eggs||85|
|Rainbow fish||Golden rainbow fish eggs||38|
If you are 99 Fishing, you can get 50 free Prawn balls by talking to the Prawnbroker, which should be done first as it may provide your first Golden eggs and Prawn pennies/pounds. As eggs are caught, they should be added to the aquarium and the rewarded Perks cashed in.
The recommended order of Perks is:
- 'Gain prawn balls more frequently'
- 'Gain a landmark of your choice' - Fremennik longboat decoration
- Rest of Tier 1 perks
- Tier 2 perks
- 'Prawn Pennies and Prawn Pounds last 2x as long'
- 'Greater chance of receiving Prawn Balls'
- Rest of Tier 3 perks
- Tier 4 perks
- 'Greater chance of receiving Prawn Balls'
- Rest of the perks
Decorations[edit | edit source]
Some decorations are included with the Aquarium by default and some must be obtained from prawn balls and from fishing. Before you can use new decorations you must add them to your Bathysphere by clicking on them and then clicking on the Bathysphere.
Above ground[edit | edit source]
Bathysphere[edit | edit source]
The bathysphere is an uncustomisable part of the surface level of the Aquarium. It allows the player to traverse down into the underwater portion of the Aquarium. When activated through building mode, the bathysphere allows access to the customisation interface for the underwater portion of the aquarium. The maximum number of objects that can be placed inside the aquarium is 30.
Right-click options on bathysphere are:
- Operate - takes you into the aquarium in your diving suit
- Clear floor - removes all items from the aquarium floor. Requires building mode. Items unlocked will still be unlocked.
- View fish list - shows a list of all fish found and counts of Prawnballs found (up to 200+). Allows you to track Prawn perk progress
Centrepiece wall[edit | edit source]
|Maps||66||1 Mahogany plank, 1 Message in a bottle||150||1,013|
|Shark jaw||71||1 Mahogany plank, 1 Shark jawbone||150||950|
|Figurehead||78||1 Mahogany plank, 1 Ship figurehead||150||916|
Diving suit[edit | edit source]
You need a suit to enter your aquarium. Better suits let players open better decorations. The oyster hunter suit lets players open oysters, the mermaid hunter suit lets players additionally open Mermaid's purse decorations, and the Salvage hunter suit lets players additionally open Treasure chest decorations.
|Oyster hunter suit||63||5 bronze bars, 1 fishbowl||7||3,450|
|Mermaid hunter suit||72||5 bronze bars, 1 fishbowl, 1 porthole||17||4,564|
|Salvage hunter suit||80||5 bronze bars, 1 fishbowl, 1 telescope lenses||17||3,482|
Supply[edit | edit source]
|Fishing net||64||5 Wool, Rope||6||3,182|
|Twin anchors||69||5 Iron bars, Rope||54||4,792|
|Bait barrel||74||4 Mahogany planks, 100 fishing bait||577||4,008|
Prawnbroker[edit | edit source]
The prawnbroker lets players unlock prawn perks, which improve Fishing in a variety of ways. You can also toggle the passive prawn perks effects and prawn ball drops with the prawnbroker or through Gameplay Settings. The different types of prawnbrokers function in exactly the same way; they are only cosmetically different.
|Driftwood prawnbroker||63||8 Teak planks||720||2,600|
|Flotsam prawnbroker||73||8 Mahogany planks||1120||7,016|
|Boutique prawnbroker||81||8 Mahogany planks, 1 porthole||1130||8,130|
Fish-head[edit | edit source]
|Mounted swordfish||65||1 Mahogany plank, 1 Raw swordfish||157.5||1,202|
|Mounted shark||70||1 Mahogany plank, 1 Raw shark||157.5||1,769|
|Mounted great white shark||76||1 Mahogany plank, 1 Raw great white shark||157.5||2,028|
Underwater[edit | edit source]
The underwater portion of the Aquarium is uniquely different from the rest of Construction. It has its own hotspot creation tool where items are obtained from prawn balls and prawn crackers or obtained by default. Items removed using the right-click option on the aquarium construction screen are not destroyed but sent back into your pool of buildable items.
Cosmetic[edit | edit source]
|Anchor (from prawn ball)||Cracked pots|
|Cannon (from prawn ball)||Rocks|
|Coral reef||Stone head|
Rewardable[edit | edit source]
|Seaweed||Can be retrieved every 24 hours for 14.8 Farming experience and two Seaweed. A maximum of five can be placed.|
|Kelp decoration||Can be retrieved every 24 hours for 14.8 Farming experience and two Kelp. A maximum of five can be placed.|
|Oysters||Can be opened every 24 hours if a player has built the Oyster hunter suit or better. Each oyster gives one drop out of the Prifddinas gem rock table. A maximum of five can be placed. An uncut onyx can be obtained from Oysters.|
|Mermaid's purse decoration||Can be opened every week for 20 noted mahogany or teak planks if the player has built the mermaid hunter suit or better. A maximum of three can be placed.|
|Treasure chest decoration||Can be opened every week for one sealed clue scroll (elite) if the player has built the salvage hunter suit. Only one can be placed.|
Experience (Landmarks)[edit | edit source]
Experience decorations increase the chance of finding golden fish eggs at certain fishing spots. They also increase the experience given at those fishing spots by 2%. The decorations do not have to be placed inside the aquarium in order to get the bonus experience; they only need to be stored in the bathysphere.
Prawn Perks[edit | edit source]
Players can purchase Prawn Perks from the Prawnbroker by collecting golden fish eggs.
Prestige[edit | edit source]
Once the Aquarium has been filled with all fourteen fish and all perks, the Standard plug decoration can be pulled whilst in normal mode within the house. It will reset the Aquarium's caught fish but the Prawn Perks and underwater decorations will not be reset. There are warning messages to ensure that the player understands what will happen by using the plug to prestige.
To remove the first plug and gain the first prestige you must have a plug already in the aquarium. Go into Building Mode click on the Bathesphere and Select Plugs. From the drop down list select the 1st plug and a green square will appear, clicking anywhere within the aquarium whilst it is completely green will place the plug. Exit Building Mode and click on the bathysphere and you will be able to Pull the Plug you just placed, right click the plug and select remove.
The first prestige will give the player a Chinchompa plug. While in building mode, open the interface that lets you place items in your tank, then remove your first plug, and select from the menu the next plug. As before, go into building mode and remove, then select from the menu the next one. The second prestige will give the player a Stone of Jas plug.
As of 27 April 2015, prestiging can unlock new barehand fishing animations that can be toggled from the Prawnbroker. The first prestige unlocks silver fishing and the second unlocks gilded fishing. Although it is a skilling animation, the animation cannot be toggled from the Animations interface.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- Wen Mah Aquarium Jas Got a Bik too Ful ( 30) – Place a Stone of Jas plug in your aquarium.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 17 June 2019 (Update):.
- You can now fish at Mort Myre Swamp without bait if you have the baitless fishing perk active.
- coldfix 5 December 2017 (Update):
- Aquarium and treasure room hotspots now have a left-click build option.
- patch 26 May 2015 (Update):
- The Prawnbroker Featherless Fishing perk will now only allow one type of feather to be overridden at a time, to prevent unwanted extra clicks when fly-fishing. This can be toggled at the Prawnbroker.
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- Aquarium perks will now work correctly with fishing auras and scrimshaws.
- The Featherless fishing perk now works in Dungeoneering.
- patch 27 April 2015 (Update):
- A list has been added to the aquarium bathysphere to allow players to track their fish eggs and prawnball count.
- Players who have reset their aquarium with a plug can now visit the prawnbroker to activate an animation override for bare-handed fishing. Resetting once will unlock silver-coloured fish and resetting twice will give gold-coloured fish when catching them bare-handed. This affects tuna, swordfish, shark and great white shark. Baron sharks are not affected.
- Bare-handed catching the above fish will now use an updated model (introduced with the aquarium), with the default colours when they are caught.
- Certain prawn ball items have been made tradeable on the Grand Exchange, and can now be sold to shops.
- The following items are now stackable in the player's inventory. Previously noted versions now have a "convert" option to switch them to the regular stackable version:
- Telescope lenses
- Message in a bottle
- Shark jawbone
- Ship figurehead
- Players can now earn a golden mystery egg from the Motherlode maw.
- Ironman players can now use regular and golden prawn crackers on the prawnbroker in their Player-Owned House to open the crackers and earn the reward inside.
- Signs of the porter will now correctly transport raw great white sharks to the bank while fishing.
- The message displayed after earning a prawn perk via catching prawn balls has been changed to yellow so it stands out.
- The message that appears when running out of charges from a prawn penny or prawn pound is now red and no longer spam-filtered to make it more noticeable when fishing.
- Butlers can no longer get stuck inside an aquarium.
- Catching a great white shark will now contribute towards earning your next prawn ball.
- Opening an oyster inside an aquarium no longer displays a message about opening a purse.
- The driftwood prawnbroker no longer appears twice in the Construction skill guide.
- A typo previously displayed when opening a prawn ball has been fixed.
- A typo previously displayed in the aquarium when harvesting seaweed has been fixed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On 27 April 2015, an update was added that allowed for Aquarium decorations to stack in your inventory. Players who already had several of the same item already in their inventory had each item stacked individually.
- In the same update, bare-handed fishing animations were graphically updated, to reflect the fish seen in Aquariums.
- Aquariums were a largely player driven update. Mod Osborne gave credit to a number of players who helped the development process.
- The Aquarium can sustain freshwater, saltwater, and lava fish at the same time. Some fish like salmon and trout are euryhaline fish, meaning they are able to live in both fresh and salt water.
- The examine on the Bathysphere "A rapturous construction." is a reference to the underwater city of Rapture which is first reached by bathysphere in the video game series BioShock.
- Even though the bathysphere supposedly lowers through the ground floor into the aquarium below, the aquarium cannot be seen while on the dungeon level and a dungeon room can be built directly under the bathysphere.
- Attempting to use the max cape teleport to leave the Bathysphere will give the player a warning message stating 'You must be of human shape to use this teleport'.
- When the player chooses to 'Operate' the Bathysphere while in house building mode, the chat message which appears contains a spelling mistake. The message reads: "While in build mode, you can altar the layout of your aquarium. Exit build mode to see the results." This has since been fixed.
- The castle decoration's examine text refers to a "Mobilising Armies" castle, even though that mini-game was removed with The Alchemical Onyx Update.
|Diving suit space|