Traits (player-owned farm)
There are 78 possible traits (18 are species-specific). (Most traits can appear in any slot, but some traits are restricted to certain slots). When an offspring is born, the type and amount of traits it has is random. Not all traits have the same chance to appear, and traits can be influenced by parent traits. You can use an animal trait re-roller to re-roll individual traits, and the master farmer outfit gives a better chance of positive traits (from breeding and checking).
Traits on the same animal or both parents stack, if the traits are the same or similar. E.g., if an animal has the traits Sparkling (+2%), Glistening (+3%), and Radiant (+5%), it has a +10% chance of shiny offspring. If both parents have these 3 traits, offspring have a +20% chance to be shiny.
Traits[edit | edit source]
Note that the animal stats for Weight, Attractiveness (beauty marks), and Speed (gallopers) are currently purely cosmetic.
|Trait name||Description||Effect||Species||Trait is available in slot|
|Baroo||What does this ancient word mean?||Cosmetic||Yaks|
|Baroo Baroo||Well, that's just rude.||Cosmetic||Yaks|
|Baroo?||Is it a question? What is the question? Speak to me, oh noble yak.||Cosmetic||Yaks|
|Big Boned||This animal puts on weight more easily.||Weight+. Conflicts with Fussy Eater.||All|
|Butterface||A fantastic physical specimen, just not much to look at.||Weight+, Speed+, Attractiveness-. Conflicts with Curvy and Lithe.||All|
|Chaotic||This chicken walks the path of chaos.||Cosmetic. Required for Life, Uh, Found a Way achievement.||Chickens|
|Charmed||This animal is happier and healthier than other animals||Healthy+, Happy+. Health and happiness will both remain at 50% when food runs out. Conflicts with Sullen and Sickly.||All|
|Chatty||This animal won't be quiet.||Cosmetic||All|
|Chief||This rabbit commands the warren.||Cosmetic. Dominant trait.||Rabbits|
|Chocolatey Goodness||Its hide tastes ever-so-slightly chocolatey. It's hard to resist licking it.||Increased chance of offspring being chocolate cows.||Cows|
|Constipated||This animal never produces dung.||Changes chance of manure from 50% to 0% every manure cycle. Conflicts with Regular. No effect on Zygomites/Spiders.||All|
|Curvy||This big-boned beauty will win many competitions, just not a race.||Weight+, Attractiveness+, Speed-. Conflicts with Butterface and Lithe.||All|
|Enigmatic||You're not sure what this trait does. If, indeed, it does anything.||Unknown||All Root Animals, Sheep and Zygomites|
|Evil||This animal is not nice.||Cosmetic. Conflicts with Good. Required for Bad Egg achievement.||All|
|Exalted||This animal is so special it awards more XP on harvesting.||3% more XP on harvesting produce.||All|
|Fearless||Why are you running? Dogs aren't dangerous.||Cosmetic||Rabbits|
|Fortunate||This animal is considered very special and farmers will pay more beans for it.||+5% beans on sales. Conflicts with Surly.||All|
|Freak of Nature||This creature is a medical marvel. Curing it is worthwhile.||More Farming XP when curing diseases.||All|
|Frost Breath||It can breathe a deadly stream of frost.||Required to breed royal dragons.||Dragons|
|Fussy Eater||This animal puts on less weight.||Weight-. Conflicts with Big Boned.||All|
|Genetic Inferiority||Offspring of this animal are less likely to have multiple traits.||Multi-trait-||All|
|Genetic Instability||The unusual genetics in this animal means its offspring are more likely to have multiple traits.||Multi-trait++||All|
|Genetic Mutation||The unusual nature of this animal means its offspring are more likely to have multiple traits.||Multi-trait+.||All|
|Genius||This animal is super smart.||Cosmetic||All|
|Giver||This animal awards more XP when harvested.||3% more XP when gathering produce. Conflicts with Taker.||All|
|Glistening||This animal is more likely to produce shiny offspring.||Shiny++. Adds 3% to shiny chance.||All|
|Glorious||This chinchompa is simply glorious.||Cosmetic||Chinchompa|
|Golden Gift||There are no golden eggs, but this creature will occasionally pass...'nuggets'. Wash hands after handling.||When harvesting, you will obtain a few gold coins.||All|
|Good||This animal is really rather pleasant.||Cosmetic.||All|
|Good Breeding||This animal carries some rare breed ancestry in its genetics.||Increased chance of different breed from parents. Does not work for chinchompas. Dragon offspring are of equal or higher tier e.g. green dragons can produce blue, but blue dragons cannot produce green. Conflicts with Strong Genes.||All|
|Handsome||This animal is better looking than most others.||Attractiveness+. Conflicts with Plain and Nightmare.||All|
|Hyperactive||This animal is faster than most others.||Speed+. Conflicts with Slowpoke.||All|
|Immune||This animal is practically immune to disease.||Healthy++. health stays at 100% when food runs out. Conflicts with Sickly.||All|
|Incy||Involuntarily cynical, like many spiders.||Cosmetic||Spiders|
|Insane||This animal thinks it's a biscuit. We have no idea why.||Cosmetic||All|
|Jovial||This animal always sees the glass as half full.||Happy+. happiness stays at 50% when food runs out. Conflicts with Sullen.||All|
|Joyful||This animal is almost always happy.||Happy++. happiness stays at 100% when food runs out. Conflicts with Sullen.||All|
|Lawful||This chicken walks the path of law.||Cosmetic||Chickens|
|Limited Efficiency||Harvesting this animal will award more materials, but at the cost of lower XP and bean value.||-3% XP and beans on sales. chance of extra materials on harvest.||All|
|Lithe||Fast and beautiful, but not terribly sturdy.||Speed+, Attractiveness+, Weight-. Conflicts with Butterface and Curvy.||All|
|Loyal||You're not sure what this trait does. If, indeed, it does anything.||Cosmetic. Required for Ever So Clever achievement.||All Root Animals, Sheep and Zygomites|
|Lucky||This animal is worth more beans when sold.||+2% beans on sales. Conflicts with Surly.||All|
|Mysterious||Does something mysterious...or nothing, but if nothing it does so mysteriously.||Increases chance of Ravensworn trait appearing upon breeding if the Ravensworn title is also unlocked.||All|
|Neutral||This chicken walks a neutral path.||Cosmetic||Chickens|
|Nice but Dim||Generous with XP, but less popular with farmers and is not so good with materials on harvesting.||-10% beans on sales. +14.4% XP upon harvest. Chance of reduced materials. Conflicts with Limited Efficiency and Unlucky for Some.||All|
|Nightmare||Kill it with fire!||Attractiveness--. Conflicts with Handsome.||Spiders|
|Nuclear||Be REALLY careful with this one!||Chinchompa has a chance of exploding on harvest, awarding XP and materials equivalent to aging to elder. Useful for Tickety Boom! achievement.||Chinchompas|
|Old at Heart||This animal ages faster than most others.||Animal ages 25% more quickly than normal. Does not affect rabbits. Conflicts with Young at Heart.||All|
|Owsla||This rabbit guards the warren carefully.||Cosmetic. Dominant trait.||Rabbits|
|Perfected||This animal is a perfect example of its breed.||Weight+, Speed+, Attractiveness+||All|
|Plain||This animal is not as attractive as some of the other animals.||Attractiveness-. Conflicts with Handsome.||All|
|Poisonous Breath||It can breathe a deadly cloud of poison.||Required to breed royal dragons.||Dragons|
|Prize Specimen||A shining example of what this breed is capable of.||Weight++, Speed++, Attractiveness++||All|
|Producer||This animal awards more materials when harvested.||Chance of receiving more materials when harvesting produce. Conflicts with Stingy.||All|
|Radiant||This animal is practically shining.||Shiny+++. Adds 5% to shiny chance||All|
|Ravensworn||This animal knows the secret handshake and has knowledge of the deeper mystery that is the Ravensworn. It won't share.||Has 9 associated achievements, 1 per animal species. Requires having the Ravensworn title unlocked. Animals can only be born with this trait, it cannot be acquired with an animal trait re-roller or by checking an unchecked animal.||All|
|Regular||This animal produces dung regularly.||Changes chance of manure from 50% to 100% every manure cycle. Conflicts with Constipated. No effect on Zygomites/Spiders.||All|
|Robust||This animal is more resistant to disease.||Healthy+. health stays at 50% when food runs out. Conflicts with Sickly.||All|
|Shock Breath||It can breathe a deadly blast of lightning.||Required to breed royal dragons.||Dragons|
|Sickly||This animal gets sick more easily.||Healthy-. Conflicts with Immune and Robust.||All|
|Slowpoke||This animal is slower than most others.||Speed-. Conflicts with Hyperactive.||All|
|Smelly||This animal smells really bad.||Attractiveness-. Conflicts with Handsome.||All|
|Sparkling||There's something almost 'shiny' about this animal.||Shiny+. Adds 2% to shiny chance.||All|
|Stingy||This animal isn't as generous with harvested materials.||Chance of reduced materials upon harvesting. Conflicts with Producer.||All|
|Strawberry Scented||It smells delicious.||Higher chance of offspring being strawberry cows.||Cows|
|Stressed||This animal suffers from 'performance anxiety'.||Breeding-. Conflicts with Studly and Virile.||All|
|Strong Genes||This animal is more likely to produce offspring of the same breed.||Increased chance of same breed as parent. Conflicts with Good Breeding.||All|
|Studly||This animal has a much higher breeding chance than other animals.||Breeding++. Conflicts with Stressed.||All|
|Sullen||This animal always sees the glass as half empty.||Happy-. Happiness decreases down to 0% even when the animal is fed and healthy. Conflicts with Jovial and Joyful.||All|
|Surly||This animal is unpleasant and so worth fewer beans.||-5% beans on sales. Conflicts with Lucky and Fortunate.||All|
|Taker||This animal isn't as generous with harvested XP.||3% less XP when gathering produce.||All|
|Touch of Vanilla||It sweats vanilla essential oils for some reason.||Higher chance offspring being vanilla cows.||Cows|
|Unlucky for Some||Other farmers will happily purchase this animal, but it's not so good for you for XP or materials.||+3% beans on sales. Reduced XP and chance of reduced materials. Conflicts with Nice but Dim and Limited Efficiency.||All|
|Unstable||Careful, this one could explode at any moment.||Chinchompa has a slight chance of exploding on harvest, awarding XP and materials equivalent to aging to elder. Useful for Tickety Boom! achievement.||Chinchompa|
|Virile||This animal has a higher breeding chance than some others.||Breeding+. Conflicts with Stressed.||All|
|Whimsical||You're not sure what this trait does. If, indeed, it does anything.||Cosmetic||All Root Animals, Sheep and Zygomites|
|Wincy||Keeps flinching. Seems to expect everyone to crush it with a rolled-up paper.||Cosmetic||Spiders|
|Young at Heart||This animal ages much slower than normal.||Animal ages 25% more slowly than normal. Conflicts with Old at Heart.||All|
Breeding traits[edit | edit source]
Players are able to use the breeding process to create specific child animals with particular traits. Breeding may also be used to create new breeds of animals.
|Useful traits for breeding|
|Trait name||Summary||Description||Trait is available in slot|
|Radiant||Shiny +5% shiny chance||This animal is practically shining.|
|Glistening||Shiny +3% shiny chance||This animal is more likely to produce shiny offspring.|
|Sparkling||Shiny +2% shiny chance||There's something almost "shiny" about this animal.|
|Good Breeding||Increased chance of different breed from parent. Does not work for any chinchompas. Dragon offspring are of equal or higher tier e.g. green dragons can produce blue, but blue dragons cannot produce green.||This animal carries some rare breed ancestry in its genetics.|
|Strong Genes||This animal is more likely to produce offspring of the same breed.||Increased chance of same breed as parent. Conflicts with Good Breeding.|
|Genetic Instability||Multi-trait++||The unusual genetics in this animal means its offspring are more likely to have multiple traits.|
|Genetic Mutation||Multi-trait+||The unusual nature of this animal means its offspring are more likely to have multiple traits.|
|This animal is happier and healthier than other animals|
|Joyful||Happy++||This animal is almost always happy.|
|Jovial||Happy+||This animal always sees the glass as half full.|
|Immune||Healthy++||This animal is practically immune to disease.|
|Robust||Healthy+||This animal is more resistant to disease.|
|Studly||Breeding++||This animal has a much higher breeding chance than other animals.|
|Virile||Breeding+||This animal has a higher breeding chance than some others.|
|Frost Breath||Shiny unlock (Dragons only)||A breeding pair of dragons with Frost Breath and Poisonous Breath and Shock Breath between them allows for a Royal Dragon to be bred. Does not increase base chance for Shiny offspring.|
Selling traits[edit | edit source]
Certain traits affect the selling price of animals, either positively or negatively.
|-10%||Nice but Dim (Slot 3 only)||Generous with experience but less popular with farmers and is not so good with materials on harvesting.|
|-5%||Surly||This animal is unpleasant and so worth fewer beans.|
|-3%||Limited Efficiency||Harvesting this animal will award more materials but at the cost of lower experience and bean value.|
|+2%||Lucky (Slot 1/2/3)||This animal is worth more beans when sold.|
|+3%||Unlucky for Some (Slot 2/3 only)||Other farmers will happily purchase this animal, but it's not so good for experience or materials.|
|+5%||Fortunate (Slot 3 only)||This animal is considered very special and farmers will pay more beans for it.|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Ever So Clever ( 20) – Hand in a magical zygomite called Trevor with the Loyal trait to Granny P.
- Bad Egg ( 0) – Successfully breed an EVIL chicken.
- Honourary Dragonkin ( 20) – Successfully breed a royal dragon.
- Life, Uh, Found a Way ( 20) – Hand in a lizard chicken called Malcolm with the Chaotic trait to Granny P.
- Tickety Boom! ( 10) – Make a chinchompa explode (by accident).
- Ravensworn achievements
- Chickensworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a chicken with the Ravensworn trait.
- Chinchompasworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a chinchompa with the Ravensworn trait.
- Cowsworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a cow with the Ravensworn trait.
- Dragonsworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a dragon with the Ravensworn trait.
- Rabbitsworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a rabbit with the Ravensworn trait.
- Sheepsworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a sheep with the Ravensworn trait.
- Spidersworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a spider with the Ravensworn trait.
- Yaksworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a yak with the Ravensworn trait.
- Zygomitesworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a zygomite with the Ravensworn trait.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 May 2020 (Update):
- Mobile players can now see the animals' traits by long pressing them in the Trade menu.
- patch 6 January 2020 (Update):
- Farming Requests requiring animals with the "big boned" trait will now correctly accept those animals.
- update 16 September 2019 (Update):
- Increased the benefits of shiny enhancing traits.
- These traits have been doubled in effectiveness, meaning you are much more likely to get a shiny animal if you breed these traits. However, we recognise that breeding traits isn’t an exact science so we’ve made an additional change.
- Increased the hereditary nature of traits
- All traits now have a much higher base chance of being passed on to their children. It’s not 100%, but you should see it being much easier to breed the traits you want into your animals, whether it be the shiny boosting traits or traits like jovial and immune.
- Increased the benefits of shiny enhancing traits.
- patch 27 August 2019 (Update):
- The capitalisation of animal traits is now consistent.
- Fixed an issue with some traits appearing on the animal but not actually working.
- patch 4 February 2019 (Update):
- Shiny animals now count as a wildcard for trait requests when selling to player owned farm NPC buyers, on top of the existing breed wildcard.
- patch 26 November 2018 (Update):
- Adjusted values of shiny-boosting traits to Sparkling (+1%), Glistening (+1.5%) and Radiant (+2.5%) (which is an increase overall if you stack all three on the same animal).
- patch 29 October 2018 (Update):
- Adjusted trait reroller code so that one is only deleted if a reroll was successfully performed.
- update 3 September 2018 (Update):
- Added to game.
- Breeding new animals can result in different perks and traits, and bred animals can even have multiple stackable traits. For example, a bred animal may be less susceptible to disease, or instead return greater than normal XP. Some may have a higher potential to poo gold – yes, you heard us correctly.
- Added to game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The trait "Owsla" is a reference to Watership Down. The Owsla is a group of rabbits which consists of captains and officers, who are the primary "policemen" of the warren.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Raven's Twitter account. 12 August 2020. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2021.) Mod Raven: "Breed animals with the mysterious trait."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Raven's Twitter account. 15 October 2019. (Archived from the original on 30 October 2019.) Mod Raven: "Born only. Yes I am that much of a [expletive]."