|Animal Magnetism (#116)|
|Release date||12 December 2006 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Matt H|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||Draynor Manor has a new resident and, adventurers rejoice, she is a damsel in distress! Far from being Sleeping Beauty, she finds the Manor's beds not to her liking and is suffering from insomniac nights. If you fancy yourself able to aid Ava in her search for a good night's sleep, who knows what the budding scientist will produce as a reward?||”|
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Ava in Draynor Manor.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
Ecto-tokens[edit | edit source]
|(Skip this section if you already have the ecto-tokens)|
|Items required: 4 bones of any type (bones can be crushed by using the grinder upstairs to the Ectofuntus), and a ghostspeak amulet .
Place the bones into the grinder upstairs of the Ectofuntus. You will also need ectoplasm, which can be found under the trapdoor within the Ectofuntus. Clicking on the large pool of liquid will produce a Bucket of Slime. While wearing a ghostspeak amulet, right-click the ghosts inside the Ectofuntus building and select collect to get ecto-tokens after worshipping the Ectofuntus.
The alive undead chickens[edit | edit source]
Talk to Ava in the south-west wing of Draynor Manor. You have to search the "secret" candle sconce on the wall to gain access to the room where she is located. You find out she is the new assistant of the professor at the manor. She says that she isn't too pleased with her 'humble abode' and that she would love some help to make it better. She first needs two undead chickens which should be alive, as the dead ones won't work.
Go to the farm north-west of the Ectofuntus with the Amulet of Ghostspeak and ecto-tokens. You can reach the farm by either walking east from the Canifis lodestone or, if you have completed Ghosts Ahoy, using the ectophial to teleport to the Ectofuntus and walking west to the farm. Once there, talk to Alice and tell her that you need a couple of chickens from her farm.
Alice tells you to speak to her husband, who is actually dead, on the farm. After talking to him, he will tell you to talk to Alice once again. She then tells you to ask him about their savings. Alice's husband says that the savings are in the bank, but refuses to part with the password, saying that "no one but a fool gives away their pass numbers". Speak to Alice and she suggests that you talk to an old witch who lives close to the farm, and can help to create a device so that Alice and her husband can directly converse with each other.
Talking to her gives you a Crone-made amulet. You will not lose your amulet in this process. Give this to Alice's husband and watch the amusing cutscene. You will see him try to catch a sneaky undead fowl. He is interrupted by the player spoof Cow1337killr, who actually helps in the chicken's capture. In the end, the two talk it over, and will want ecto-tokens for the chickens that you need.
Buy two chickens from Alice's husband for 20 ecto-tokens.
Magnetism[edit | edit source]
Head back to Ava and give her the undead chickens. She will now need a bar magnet, which is perfectly aligned. Talk to Helda in the north-west corner of Draynor Manor and give her five iron bars. She will give you a selected iron. She will tell you that you need to go to the Rimmington mine and firmly strike on it to stabilise the field in the iron.
Go to the centre of the Rimmington mine and hammer the selected iron while facing north to turn it into a magnet. If your character is not facing north, the magnet will not be created. To make sure you are facing north, simply click your compass, walk one square up, and you will now be facing north. You will know it was successful when the selected iron turns into a bar magnet.
Give the magnet to Ava, and she will take it and move on to her next request.
Blessed to kill[edit | edit source]
She now needs undead twigs from one of the undead trees around the manor. Try cutting an attacking tree; when this fails, return to Ava and ask her for advice. She will tell you to go see Turael as he has been using the Slayer skill to figure out a way to defeat the undead trees. If you have previously completed the While Guthix Sleeps quest, Turael will be replaced by his daughter, Spria.
Talk to Turael (or Spria), who is just north of the Burthorpe lodestone, and they will offer to give you a blessed hatchet in exchange for a mithril hatchet and a holy symbol. Supply them with these two things for a blessed hatchet, a tool which can be used to cut down undead trees.
With the blessed hatchet either equipped or in your inventory, chop a Draynor Manor undead tree to receive 'undead twigs' (you will fail this if you do not have the Slayer requirement). Give Ava the twigs, and she will tell you she has almost completed the invention she is preparing for you, but her research notes need translating.
Translating the notes[edit | edit source]
You will now have to translate her research notes (see the picture to find out the combination). To change the colours, simply click on the buttons at the bottom.
Once you have translated the notes, talk to Ava and she will give you a pattern. Combine this with a piece of hard leather and some polished buttons to create a container (the buttons are harder to get if you do not have access to the Varrock Dig Site (requires completion of The Dig Site) or cannot pickpocket them from H.A.M members (requires at least level 15 Thieving, although they are also dropped by H.A.M. guards).
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 1,000 experience (+50 from your work with the bar magnet)
- 1,000 experience
- 1,000 experience
- 2,500 experience
- Blessed hatchet
- Ava's device. (Ava's attractor if your Ranged level is less than 50 or Ava's accumulator if it is equal to or more than 50. If you get Ava's attractor and then later get 50 Ranged, you can talk to Ava, who will upgrade it if you give her 75 steel arrows.)
- Ava's accumulator ammunition pickup passive effect (requires level 50 Ranged)
- Access to Ava's Odds and Ends
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Animal Magnetism ( 0) – Complete this Intermediate quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Animal Magnetism is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Development team[edit | edit source]
- Developer: Matt H
- Graphics: Wayne M, Linh N
- Quality Assurance: Francis B
- QuestHelp: Rob M
- Audio: Ian T, Adam B
Cultural references[edit | edit source]
- When talking to the witch, she mentions shoving children in an oven. This is a reference to the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel. She's since been to "anger management classes."
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 18 March 2019 (Update):
- patch 13 November 2017 (Update):
- Several graphical issues with an Animal Magnetism quest cutscene have been fixed.
- patch 13 March 2017 (Update):
- Corrected a reference to the "ranger" skill in the Animal Magnetism quest journal.
- patch 9 November 2010 (Update):
- Polished buttons now drop a lot sooner during the Animal Magnetism quest.
- patch 19 May 2009 (Update):
- Fixed a graphical issue with the Dagon'hai robes and an item from Animal Magnetism.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Animal magnetism is a term used to describe a supposed force exerted by animals.
- When Ava asks for undead twigs, your character complains about not being able to fight back against the trees that you are supposed to collect the twigs from. Ava then replies with "now you know how those poor guards feel when you attack them from behind fences and mushrooms", speaking of the common usage of safespots by players.
- When Alice's husband states that "no one but a fool gives away their pass numbers", this might be a reference to either passwords or bank PINs, and how some players give those out.
- When talking to Ava during the quest she comments on how adventurers don't need to sleep or do normal bodily functions.