Angof is a Crystal Shapeshifter who resides in the north-eastern region of the village Cysur in Tarddiad. She and the rest of the shapeshifters are what remains of the Cywir Clan (barring the elves in the Heart of Gielinor) following their decision to remain on Tarddiad rather than follow Seren to Gielinor. Unlike the rest of her people, she is coherent enough to communicate with non-shapeshifters, and so acts as their spokesperson when visitors come by. She abhors violence, preferring words over violence and admonishing those who approach her with weapons drawn. She is capable of pacifying her brethren, many of whom are in hiding, but will not stop them if others state violent intent towards them. She believes it a mercy to kill those driven mad by the crystals. However, if visitors choose to gather crystal fragments instead, she offers to turn them into Tarddian crystals instead at a rate of 3 fragments per crystal. She is one of the few still capable of creating crystal armour through Crystal Singing, and offers her services in exchange for the crystals through her crystal armour shop. She also keeps a diary detailing her initial struggles and her marriage to her husband Maldwyn.
She is a descendant of Ceidwad, an elven mystic and leader. She was born male in Cysur and spent her early years with Maldwyn. When they developed the Sickness caused by Seren's departure and subsequently became addicted to the crystals, they drifted apart but eventually reunited, using each other to fight their addiction. She used her new shapeshifting power to "correct" herself and become female. Eventually he proposed and became her husband. The addiction eventually took over him and he lost coherence, leaving her during the night. When Maldwyn is killed, he drops an ancient elven wedding ring. If shown to Angof, she mourns his passing but states that he had been lost to her for a long time. Depending upon the player's reaction to her reaction, she either absolves them for killing her husband or angrily scolds them for mocking her.
Prior to the arrival of Seren, the elves would use the crystal growths that grew naturally on Tarddiad in their crafting. Seren was able to manipulate the crystals to greater potential and imbued them with her essence. When the goddess left, those who remained began longing for her and began using the crystals to pacify the longing. The crystals made their bodies malleable and allowed them to change their bodies, such as allowing artisans to form tools, warriors to form weapons, and even allowing them to change their sex. However, this came at a cost, causing the elves to focus on obtaining more crystals and driving many mad. Despite this, Angof does not hate Seren but rather is angry at her. She is attempting to save her brethren from their addiction to the crystals. However, she vehemently rejects any offers of help from the other elven clans, claiming the shapeshifters still have bad feelings towards those who they see as abandoning them, and the elves of Gielinor would treat them as monsters. She believes that, with time, the two groups could eventually be reunited.
Following the death of Guthix and rebuilding of Prifddinas, Seren attempted to return. However, this involved using crystals which formed parts of Prifddinas. Seeking an alternate solution, the World Guardian and Eluned used the World Gate to travel to Tarddiad, the home world of the elves. Angof instructed them on gathering the crystals, despite her ill feelings towards their goal.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress - not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 28 August 2018 (Update):
- Fixed a typo in the dialog when handing back the wedding ring to Angof.
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- Fixed a typo when Angof speaks about shapeshifters.
- Angof is Welsh for "forgotten" and is pronounced "/ɑ:ŋjɒv/" (ahng-yov) – the "n" is nasalised with no hard "g" sound, and the "j"/"y" sound is only slightly pronounced.
- Angof is one of the first transgender characters in RuneScape. When shown the wedding ring, she tells the player she was born male, but was able to "correct" her gender to female once she could shapeshift.
- Angof's dialogues were written following research with transgender communities to be as reasonable as possible.
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "I confess greater coherence than my brethren, so I took it upon myself to watch out for them."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "Sheathe your weapons human, let us try words over warfare."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "All but the most violent of my brothers and sisters are now in hiding."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "I have called to my brothers and sisters, they will not hide from you. If you change your mind, come see me, I will try and calm them."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "Those that remain are beyond help and putting them out of their misery would be a kindness."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "There was a time when we could forge them into suits of armour. But like so much the knowledge is almost lost."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "Indeed. And practicing this art may help to retain my focus." When asked if she can forge crystal armour
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "I was a proud descendant of Ceidwad herself. Quite the mantle to carry.[...]She was a spiritual leader for our people, even before Seren's arrival she was our conscience."
- ^ a b Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "This body was born, incorrectly, male. I changed that."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "We grew up together originally, before we both lost ourselves to the crystal. We used to run through the forest together, playing the games that young boys tend to play."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "We grew apart as the crystals took a greater hold on us. But we found each other again a few years back and we became each other's rock. We would keep each other away from the crystals and we supported each other through the most painful times."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "Sometimes we are born into a body that is not ours. Without the crystal that would be the end of it, but I was fortunate enough to be able to correct that mistake."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "Eventually he proposed to me and I accepted. But that was a long time ago now."
- ^ The Diary of Angof, written by Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "It's done. We are married. I wish I could be happy, but he's so distracted. He is pale and sweating. His eyes are wide and crazed and he could barely make it through his vows without tripping up. I fear the crystal has him again."
- ^ The Diary of Angof, written by Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "He's gone. He left in the light, leaving all of his things behind. He's gone for the crystal, I know."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "I don't blame you Player. I imagine he left you little choice and if I'm truthful, I lost him long ago."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "No no, please, make fun of this. You have slaughtered the love of my life. My only light in a lifetime of endless, cloying, darkness. But no, go ahead, make fun."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "The crystals that we embedded within ourselves, began to twist us. Flesh and bone became malleable, like clay. We became our weapons. At first it was a blessing. Our artisans no longer needed to create and maintain tools to craft."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "We are shapeshifters, gender to us is hardly a constant."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "I am angered by her. Furious at her abandonment. I loathe her, but I also love her, as do all of her slaves."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "In the long term I believe I can ween my people off the crystals, but it needs to be a gradual process. The hold is too strong."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "There is a lot of resentment that remains with my people regarding the elves of Gielinor. There are some who would rather die than accept your aid."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "But I cannot forgive the elves of Gielinor for abandoning us."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "We would look like monsters to them and what could they do but watch us suffer? No, let us not create feelings of guilt for them or curse my kind with pity."
- ^ Angof, "The Light Within", RuneScape. "Perhaps in time our people can reunite, but that time is not yet here."
- ^ Mod Raven. Love letters from the dead. Reddit. (Archived from the original on 03 Feb 2018.)