An ancient tool gizmo shell is an upgraded version of a tool gizmo shell added with the Ancient Invention expansion. They may be manufactured at an inventor's workbench after reading an 'Ancient gizmos' blueprint (or the untradeable equivalent). They can be filled with materials to generate perks, consuming the shell to make an ancient tool gizmo.
In comparison to regular gizmos, ancient gizmos:
- Have 9 material slots instead of 5
- Allow the use of ancient materials
- Allow most 'positive' perks to reach a higher rank (that is not possible in normal gizmos). For example, Honed 6 can only be obtained in an ancient tool gizmo
- Generally increase the chances of producing higher rank perks. Specifically, they have a higher 'invent_budget'.
- Reduce the effectiveness of non-ancient materials, per material used, for producing perks. Specifically, they reduce the values of the 'base' and 'roll' for all non-ancient materials by multiplying by 0.8. This generally means that using five or fewer non-ancient materials in the ancient gizmo is less effective than the same number of materials in the regular tool gizmo, but the additional slots in the ancient gizmo still allow the creation of higher rank perks when using non-ancient materials in the ancient gizmo.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 27 April 2020 (Update):
- Tweaked the look for ancient gizmos so they are easier to tell apart from standard gizmos.