|Release date||8 July 2019 (Update)|
|Main music||On Safer Ground|
|Teleportation||Lodestone Network, The Stormbreaker or using Slayer skillcape perks to Laniakea|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Anachronia, also known as Fossil Island or The Land Out of Time, is a prehistoric-style jungle island located north-east of Daemonheim.
The island features the player building a base camp, an activity called Big Game Hunter, a weekly Distraction and Diversion called Herby Werby, an island wide Agility Course, 8 new Slayer monsters ranging from Slayer level 90 to 114 (consisting of plants and dinosaurs), a new Slayer master requiring 120 Combat and 90 Slayer, and continues the story where the Desperate Times quest left off.
There are no requirements to access the island.
Anachronia was developed by Mods Daze, Erator, and Ramen. It was QA'ed by Mods Cel and Shrew. Mods BakingaZ and NicePants made the concept art. Mods Ian, Surma, and Slippers worked on the audio.
History[edit | edit source]
General remembrance and most understanding of the island has been all but lost through both the ravages of time and the inequitable distribution of raw primordial power exuding from it. However, the Dragonkin once resided on Anachronia, calling it "Orthen", or "First City" in human language. It is unknown whether the dinosaurs, vile blooms and ancient zygomites that inhabit the island were created by the Dragonkin or had lived there prior to their arrival. The water appears to possess special properties, as stated by various zygomites and in a journal found on the island. There were also small clusters of other smaller animals, such as jadinkos and grenwalls. The Dragonkin eventually abandoned Orthen for unknown reasons.
During the Fifth Age, the Varrock Museum learned of Anachronia and called it Fossil Island, believing that an island so far up in the north would be devoid of life. They attempted to construct numerous boats to reach the island, but each one ended in failure.
During the Sixth Age, Irwinsson learned of the island through his fellow Varrock Museum friend Brodie and set sail, though he ended up shipwrecked with amnesia after he attempted to go through the stormwall surrounding the island. King Roald, believing Kerapac may have fled to the island to begin his plan to rid Gielinor of all life to stop the Elder Gods, immediately ordered the construction of a new boat, overseen by Mr. Mordaut and assisted by numerous adventurers. The boat was eventually completed and utilising many skills, the boat managed to breach the stormwall safely.
The adventurer set off with a small expedition force to explore the island, coming upon the bones of several massive creatures. As they continued exploring, they encountered a massive creature which ambushed them, but they were saved by Irwinsson, who brought them to the ruins in the centre of the island that was safe from the natural fauna. The archaeologists began setting up a base camp from the ruins to both protect themselves and grant new opportunities from doing so. Mr. Mordaut eventually arrived on the island himself, and noting that island was so far north that such vibrant life should not exist on the island, renamed Fossil Island as Anachronia, the Land out of Time.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
Travelling to Anachronia for the first time requires the player to use The Stormbreaker, the ship built during the Breaking the Storm event, which is located at the Varrock Dig Site. Players will be shown a cutscene the first time they travel to the island, and will have to guide a group of NPCs including an archaeologist, Laniakea, and two guards through the island.
After traversing through the island for the first time, players will be brought to the Anachronia base camp. A lodestone is located at the base camp that can be unlocked using materials after completing a tutorial with Giles. Accessing the base camp also allows the slayer cape's perk to teleport to Laniakea.
Until the lodestone is created, players only have three methods to reach Anachronia; use the Stormbreaker, teleport to Laniakea with the slayer cape's perk, or using the Anachronia Teleport spell if a Totem of the Abyss is planted and active.
Notable features[edit | edit source]
- A hunter training method - Big Game Hunter
- Hunter master - Irwinsson Siglison and his Hunter Mark Shop
- An upgradeable area that can provide perks on and off of the island - Base camp
- Anachronia Agility Course - island wide, bi-directional, multiple agility levels, resources, Codex pages
- Lectern to combine codex pages for abilities, at bottom of the stairs east of lodestone
- Totems that provide various helpful perks to many activities:
- Totem of Intimidation - Removes kill count requirement at God Wars Dungeon
- Totem of Navigation - Ships in player-owned port voyage times reduced by 15%
- Totem of Auras - Cooldown of auras are 15% shorter
- Totem of Crystal - Elven clan bans are reduced to 15 minutes (from 20 minutes, a 25% reduction)
- Totem of Treasure - Clues require one less step to finish
- Totem of the Abyss - Allows you to teleport to where it's placed
- Totem of Summoning - Familiars last 10% longer
- All type of totem pieces can be stored in a totem bag to save space
- A Distraction & Diversion - Herby Werby
- Miniquest - Helping Laniakea
- A slayer master - Laniakea
- Slayer creatures
- Herb and Potions
- Hunter locations:
- Two grenwall spots
- A spot south for yellow salamanders, catch and release, requires rope and small net
- Golden warblers - these can be found next to the northeast canyon mine, and south of the Anachronia western ruins mine.
- Easier jadinkos - bring a juju hunter potion and marasamaw plants, no noose wand hunting and without the need for changing habitats
- Common Jadinko - east coast, and south of base camp
- Carrion jadinko - northwest coast, west of venomous dinosaurs, and southeast near Slayer
- Diseased jadinko - northeast coast, east of Herby Werby, and southeast of base camp
- Cannibal jadinko - northwest coast, west of Carrion jadinkos
- Shadow jadinko - east coast
- Aquatic jadinko - east of base camp, below amphibious jadinkos, and west of base camp, north of Stormbreaker landing
- Camouflaged jadinko - north
- Draconic jadinko - south of base camp, in the north part of Bagrada Rex's clearing
- Amphibious jadinko - northeast of base camp, between Malletops and Pavosaurus Rex
- Igneous jadinko - base camp, northern room, and southeast near Slayer
- Two overgrown idols in the east
- Two Fishing areas:
- Four Mining sites:
- On the far east side of the island there is a pool shrine overlooked by a dragonkin statue. Observing the statue yields the following: "There is an inscription at the base of the statue written in the dragonkin language. You make out the word 'Orthen' which you believe to mean 'first city'."
- Near the south-West mine, there is a shipwrecked vessel where you can find a broken compass inside a damaged backpack (which you can confirm belongs to Irwinsson by bringing it to him). This compass has an option to fix it, but you'll need the missing pieces (a pointing arrow and a piece of glass) to do so. A bit south of the compass' location, still by the shore, there is a message in a bottle.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
There are 20 achievements in this subcategory (showing 20).
|1||Master Builder||Yes||Fully upgrade the base camp on Anachronia.||30|
|2||Jurassic Perk||Yes||Discover all the totem pieces on Anachronia.||30|
|3||Top Town Hall||Yes||Fully upgrade the Town Hall in the base camp on Anachronia.||15|
|4||Bag of Herbs||Yes||Purchase the herb bag and the herb bag upgrade from the Herby Werby reward shop.||10|
|5||Dinosaur Hunter||Yes||Take down each dinosaur in Big Game Hunter.||10|
|6||Stacks on Stacks||Yes||Complete the ritual to activate a totem on Anachronia.||5|
|7||Stone Cold Observers||Yes||Observe all the large dragonkin statues around Anachronia. (X/5)||5|
|9||Home Away From Home||Yes||Build your Player Lodge on Anachronia.||10|
|10||Gotta Go Fast||Yes||Unlock double Surge and double Escape ability upgrades.||10|
|11||In A Flash||Yes||Complete the Anachronia agility course in under 7 minutes.||5|
|12||Spinal Surgery||Yes||Surge under the spine on Anachronia.||5|
|13||Swings Both Ways||Yes||Complete a lap going in each direction on the Anachronia agility course.||5|
|14||End Of The World||Yes||Use Meteor Strike on all dinosaurs.||10|
|15||Father And Son||Yes||Speak to Sigli and return the bow to Irwinsson.||10|
|16||A New Direction||Yes||Reunite Irwinsson with his lost compass.||10|
|17||Leave No Zygomite Buried||Yes||Find all the hidden Zygomites on Anachronia||15|
|18||Spud That||Yes||Use a potato on the ancient Zygomite elder.||5|
|19||Three In a Bed||Yes||Complete a big game encounter with 3 creatures active.||20|
|8||Setting The Foundation||Yes||Complete the base camp tutorial on Anachronia.||5|
|20||Do You Think He Saw Us?||Yes||Get caught by each of the big game creatures once.||5|
Pre-release[edit | edit source]
Anachronia was previously known as Fossil Island, also known as Kudos Island. Mentions of the island first appeared in the game after an update to Varrock Museum in 2007. The island was spoken of by the Museum's curator, Haig Halen, who mentions that reaching the yet-unexplored island is one of Varrock Museum's projects. A canal barge was under construction in the northern part of the Varrock Dig Site, overseen by the barge foreman, and claimed to be used to travel to the island via the River Salve. Obtaining 100 museum kudos was to be required to participate in the expedition.
Fossil Island was mentioned in a lore livestream in October 2012 as a massive project that had been talked about for years but which was not currently being developed. Mod Mark suggested that Fossil Island would be home to one of the Dragonkin. In the 2014 March VIP Q&A, Mod Osborne commented again that Fossil Island was not being worked on. At RuneFest 2015 Fossil Island was mentioned as a potential contender for an upcoming RuneLabs poll to add a new in-game area. However the poll, which took place in December 2015, was won by The Arc.
Release[edit | edit source]
Anachronia's release was promoted by the login screen by introducing a new background titled The Land Out of Time, and playing excerpts of the music tracks heard on the island: Untamed Horizons, On Safer Ground, Discover, Adagio for Anachronia, and Laniakea's Journey.
Event noticeboards could be used to teleport to The Stormbreaker in Varrock Dig Site, while royal messengers could be found at some of the lodestones, handing out royal messages and offering to take players to the boat.
Music[edit | edit source]
- Adagio for Anachronia
- Anachronia Encounter!
- Beasts of Anachronia
- Beyond the Storm Wall
- Beyond Time's Reach
- Building a Better Future
- Dinosaur Slayer
- Dragonkin of Old
- Laniakea's Journey
- On Distant Shores
- On Safer Ground
- On the High Ropes
- Scare or Snare
- Seen and not Herb
- The Forgotten City Orthen
- Untamed Horizons
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Fossil Island was referenced in the 2014 April Fools event. It could be seen as a destination reachable at level 120 Sailing.
- The name "Anachronia" comes from the word "anachronism", which in turn comes from the Greek ana- meaning "backward" or "previous", and khronus meaning "time". This relates to the island's alternate name "The Land Out of Time".
- The overall concept of the Land Out of Time seems to be heavily based on the concepts of multiple similar science fiction media such as author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel "The Lost World", or the 1974 NBC Network television series "Land of the Lost"; both of which involve groups of people that are, by either design or circumstance, transported to strange lands where prehistoric flora and fauna exist.
- Attempting to import a save where the player is on Anachronia on the Weapon Diversity Beta teleports you in Lumbridge as that area doesn't exist in this version of the game.
- Assuming 0% interest over the initial 200 days, Satipo's loan has a daily interest rate of 2.3415696% over the 365 days that elapsed since the message in a bottle was written.
- The examine text of the hermit crabs near the landing site of The Stormbreaker reference the 1993 movie Jurassic Park (film) line by Jeff Goldblum, "Life, uh, finds a way."
- The names of the various buried Zygomites reference many television shows such as Rick and Morty, The Big Bang Theory, Ed, Edd n Eddy, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Sons of Anarchy and others.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ RuneScape Month Ahead (June 2019) - Comp Cape Rework, Weapon Diversity, Summer Special. 7 June 2019.
- ^ RuneScape's Land Out of Time - Slayer Skilling & Agility Course. 17 June 2019.
- ^ RuneScape - Land Out of Time - The Story of Anachronia. 24 June 2019.
- ^ a b Jagex. "Summer Update Revealed." 21 May 2019. RuneScape News.
- ^ RuneScape Cinematics - Desperate Times Outro. 16 May 2017.
- ^ RuneScape Brings You 'The Land Out of Time'. 22 May 2019.
- ^ Jagex. TheFiveO1's Twitter account. 18 June 2019. TheFiveO1: "The island has no reqs, but: "Adventurers looking to follow the storyline over future updates require just three skills (Mining, Smithing, and Divination) to be level 50 or above, along with the completion of two quests: The Needle Skips and You Are It.""
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 27 June 2019.
- ^ Content Showcase: Land Out of Time (Lore, Art , Audio). 25 June 2019.
- ^ Totem guide
- ^ Jagex. Official lore livestream with Mods Mark and Osborne : "Fossil Island will have lots of fossils on it, and is where one of the dragonkin is." (at 07:49) Official lore livestream, 4 November 2012.
- ^ Mod MattHe. Q&A: March VIP Answers. 7 March 2014.*
- ^ RuneScape - RuneFest 2015 - Updates of 2016. 15 October 2015.*
- ^ Avernic. Eastern Lands. RuneLabs. 17 December 2015.*