|The Land Out of Time|
|Release||8 July 2019 (Update)|
|Music||On Safer Ground|
|Teleports||Anachronia lodestone, The Stormbreaker, Slayer cape perk, Archaeology table, master archaeologist outfit|
|doc • Talk page|
Anachronia, also known as Fossil Island or The Land Out of Time, is a prehistoric-style jungle island located north-east of Daemonheim.
The island features the player-built base camp, an activity called Big Game Hunter, a weekly Distraction and Diversion called Herby Werby, an island-wide Agility Course, 8 Slayer monsters requiring a Slayer level ranging from 90 to 114 (consisting of plants and dinosaurs), Slayer master Laniakea requiring level 120 Combat and level 90 Slayer, and continuation of the story where the Desperate Times quest left off.
There are no requirements to access the island.
History[edit | edit source]
Predating the Dragonkin's arrival, the island was inhabited by dinosaurs and semi-sentient plants. The ancient zygomites on the island had also existed around the same time as them, as mentioned in the Fragmented Memories mystery.
As the Dragonkin set about to gain their new bearings, split into four creeds; the Syrtes, Dactyl, Nodon and Aughra, each of whom had different goals, although the former two pursued a means of confrontation, while the latter were more patient. The Kindra Council at the time were undecided with what to do, but the latter two creeds were worried about the ambitions of the former two. After Kerapac drew anima from Gielinor's animasphere to create shadow anima, the Elder Gods, led by Jas, emerged, destroyed most of Orthen, and bound the surviving Dragonkin to the Stone of Jas.
The creeds then went their own ways, with the Syrtes falling to the Stone's power, the Dactyl choosing to fight against it, the Nodon choosing to sleep through the curse, and the Aughra fleeing to the Abyss or committing suicide in order to escape the pain. The island was eventually abandoned and forgotten.
During the Fifth Age, the Varrock Museum learned of Anachronia and called it Fossil Island, believing that an island so far up in the north would be devoid of life. They attempted to construct numerous boats to reach the island, but each one ended in failure.
During the Sixth Age, Irwinsson learned of the island through his fellow Varrock Museum friend Brodie and set sail, though he ended up shipwrecked with amnesia after he attempted to go through the stormwall surrounding the island. King Roald, believing Kerapac may have fled to the island to begin his plan to rid Gielinor of all life to stop the Elder Gods, immediately ordered the construction of a new boat, overseen by Mr. Mordaut and assisted by numerous adventurers. The boat was eventually completed and, utilising many skills, the boat managed to breach the stormwall safely.
The adventurer set off with a small expedition force to explore the island, coming upon the bones of several massive creatures. As they continued exploring, they encountered a massive creature which ambushed them, but they were saved by Irwinsson, who brought them to the ruins in the centre of the island that was safe from the natural fauna. The archaeologists began setting up a base camp from the ruins to both protect themselves and unlock new opportunities. Mr. Mordaut eventually arrived on the island himself, and, noting that island was so far north that such vibrant life should not exist on the island, renamed Fossil Island as Anachronia, the Land out of Time.
In Desperate Measures, it is revealed that Kerapac had used the Needle to pull a version of Anachronia sometime after the Dragonkin were cursed, but before his shadow anima device was destroyed. This explains the presence of the diverse flora and fauna in a land that they could not possibly survive in.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
Travelling to Anachronia for the first time requires the player to use The Stormbreaker, the ship built during the Breaking the Storm event, which is located East of the Varrock Dig Site. You can board the ship, located on the river, to visit Anachronia. Players will be shown a cutscene the first time they travel to the island and will have to guide a group of NPCs, including an archaeologist, Laniakea, and two guards, through the island.
Visit the Quick guide for Anachronia to learn how to unlock this location.
Travel[edit | edit source]
Agility course[edit | edit source]
The primary means of travel across the island is traversing the Anachronia Agility Course. This requires Agility levels 30 to 85 to traverse. The course is divided into seven sections of varying difficulty but requires level 85 to complete the whole lap.
Teleports[edit | edit source]
Quick methods to teleport across the island are:
- Anachronia lodestone, which can be unlocked using materials after completing a tutorial with Giles at the base camp
- Slayer cape to teleport to one of Laniakea's locations, south-east ruin
- Anachronia Teleport spell if a Totem of the Abyss is planted and active
- Anachronia tablet to teleport to the Player Lodge; it requires the Love Story quest and a Tier 2 Player Lodge
- Ancient seed to Herby Werby
- Mystical tree at Manor Farm to Ranch Out of Time and then to the west coast of Anachronia
Dragonkin teleportation network[edit | edit source]
- Crypt of Varanus, located near the arcane apoterrasaur hunting area
- Observation outpost, located north of the pavosaurus rex hunting area
- Moksha ritual site, located just east of the scimitops hunting area
- Xolo city, located within the Anachronia Swamp Fortress on the south-eastern tip of the island
Notable features[edit | edit source]
Base Camp[edit | edit source]
After arriving on Anachronia, the player can establish a base camp and upgrade it with resources that you can assign workers to find. These upgrades can grant many passive effects that are useful in both Anachronia and the rest of Gielinor.
Players can also build a lodestone at the Base camp to connect Anachronia to the Lodestone Network.
Rex Skeleton[edit | edit source]
In the base camp lies a platform for a rex skeleton to be built. The pieces can be obtained from the Orthen Dig Site. Once the skeleton is fully completed, it provides a 65 minute buff that increases the experience gained while excavating, hunting and traversing through the island's agility course. It also increases the drop rate of said activities on the island, including those from fighting Slayer monsters.
Anachronia Agility Course[edit | edit source]
Anachronia is a large island, and the player can travel around the island quicker by using the Anachronia Agility Course. The course is split up into seven sections, requiring anywhere from level 30 to 85 Agility to complete. As you traverse the course, there is a chance to gain one of several different totem pieces, or codex pages which can be used to create either the Double Surge or Double Escape codex and unlock two abilities. The player can also make tradeable versions of these codices to sell to others.
Totems[edit | edit source]
While adventuring around Anachronia, the player can find various totem pieces. There are seven totems in total, each made of three different pieces. After finding all three pieces for one totem, the player can place it in one of three totem spots on Anachronia. The player can then activate the totem to gain one of eight different effects.
- The Totem of Intimidation removes kill count requirement at the God Wars Dungeon
- The Totem of Navigation reduces player-owned port voyage times by 15%
- The Totem of Auras reduces the cooldown of auras by 15%
- The Totem of Crystal reduces Elven clan pickpocketing lock-outs by 5 minutes, to 15 minutes
- The Totem of Treasure reduces the number of steps required to complete a clue scroll by one
- The Totem of the Abyss allows you to teleport to where it's placed
- The Totem of Summoning allows Summoning familiars to last 16 minutes longer.
Hunter[edit | edit source]
Anachronia came with several additions to Hunter. While Hunting on Anachronia, players can earn Hunter marks to spend at Irwinsson's Hunter Mark Shop for rewards. Irwinsson is also the starting point for the Father and Son miniquest. In addition, if players find and return the Compass arrow to Irwinsson, they can complete the A New Direction achievement.
Players can also hunt previously-added creatures on Anachronia in a simpler manner than before. Butterflies such as ruby harvests and black warlocks can be continously caught and released by the player for AFK experience if being caught barehanded.
Players can also catch several jadinkos here without the need to build special habitats such as at Herblore Habitat. Common, shadow, igneous, amphibious, diseased, and carrion jadinkos can all be found in areas around Anachronia, and can be caught with just a marasamaw plant. In addition, the player can also catch cannibal, aquatic, camouflaged, and draconic jadinkos here, but will need to bring a juju hunter potion to catch them (the required secondary ingredient to catch these jadinkos is at each habitat already). Hunting jadinkos can also give the player a chance at finding a jadinko to raise at the player-owned farm.
Jadinkos found on Anachronia require a Hunter level 10 higher than their Herblore Habitat variants.
- Common jadinkos can be found on the east coast, south of the diseased jadinkos, or south of base camp
- Shadow jadinkos can be found on the east coast, east of the Lampenfloras
- Igneous jadinkos can be found near the northern room of the Base camp, or in the northwest room of Laniakea's building in the southeast of the island
- Cannibal jadinkos can be found on the northwest coast, west of carrion jadinkos. Two green vine blossoms appear in the area for the required juju hunter potions.
- Aquatic jadinkos can be found east of base camp (west of the liverworts), or north of The Stormbreaker landing. Red vine blossoms appear in the areas for the required juju hunter potions.
- Amphibious jadinkos can be found northeast of base camp, between malletops and pavosaurus rex
- Diseased jadinkos can be found in the ruins on the northeast coast, east of Herby Werby, or southeast of the base camp in the north part of spicati apoterrasaur's clearing
- Carrion jadinkos can be found on the northwest coast, west of venomous dinosaurs, or southwest of Anachronia Swamp mine
- Camouflaged jadinkos can be found north of the base camp if you travel on the Anachronia Agility Course until just after the cave. Two green vine blossoms appear in the area for the required juju hunter potions.
- Draconic jadinkos can be found south of the base camp, in the north part of bagrada rex's clearing. A red vine blossom appears in the area for the required juju hunter potions.
There are other Hunting methods available as well. Players can find grenwalls north-east of the pavosaurus rex clearing or south-east of the scimitops clearing. Pawyas can be found in the south-western ruins. South of the pawyas, players can find yellow salamanders. Golden warblers can be found next to the Anachronia canyon mine (five spawns), or south of the Anachronia western ruins mine.
Big Game Hunter[edit | edit source]
Big Game Hunter is a method of training Hunter that players can start after reaching level 75 Hunter and level 55 Slayer. In several spots on Anachronia, dinosaurs can be found. In this activity, the player must bait and hunt these dinosaurs using boss-like mechanics, and being careful not to get caught. Hunting these dinosaurs can also give the player a chance at receiving a dinosaur for the Player-owned farm.
|Tier||Dinosaur||Level||Level||Bait||Bait cost||XP||XP||Chance to drop|
|1||Arcane apoterrasaur||75||55||Raw shark||1,392||6,000||800|
|1||Bagrada rex||75||55||Raw manta ray||1,995||6,000||800|
|2||Spicati apoterrasaur||80||60||Raw bagrada rex meat||34,662||12,000||2,050|
|2||Asciatops||85||65||Raw arcane apoterrasaur meat||8,846||12,000||2,050|
|2||Corbicula rex||90||70||Raw scimitops meat||103,831||12,000||2,050|
|3||Oculi apoterrasaur||94||74||Raw asciatops meat||182,270||21,000||3,800||Tribal fin|
|3||Malletops||95||75||Raw corbicula rex meat||295,710||21,000||3,800||Volcanic fragments|
|3||Pavosaurus rex||96||76||Raw spicati apoterrasaur meat||216,380||21,000||3,800||Superior long bone|
Slayer[edit | edit source]
Laniakea is a Slayer Master that can be found on Anachronia. Players can receive tasks from her if they have level 90 Slayer and 120 combat. Laniakea is the only Slayer Master that can assign cluster tasks, which are Slayer tasks of a category of monsters, allowing players greater freedom over which monster they want to kill. For example, she can assign to kill dragons, and the player can complete the task with whatever dragon they want. She also assigns a miniquest, Helping Laniakea, where the player must help her find a strong enough poison to help her protect the base camp against Anachronia's stronger monsters.
Dinosaurs and Vile blooms are also two categories of high-level Slayer monsters featuring various mechanics, and they can be found spread out all over the island. Slaying the dinosaurs can also give the player a chance at receiving a dinosaur for the Anachronia farm.
Bosses[edit | edit source]
Anachronia is also home to both Raksha, the Shadow Colossus and the Rex Matriarchs. Raksha's lair can be accessed south-west of Laniakea on the south-eastern part of the island. The dungeon containing the Rex Matriarchs can be accessed from the teleportation device on the south-eastern corner of the Spirit grove in the centre of the island.
Herby Werby[edit | edit source]
Herby Werby, a Distraction & Diversion, can be played once every week. The player must aid Anachronia's ancient zygomites in destroying corrupted flora in their cavern. The player can earn Herblore and Firemaking experience, and earn several rewards, such as a bag that holds grimy herbs, two totem pieces, and a pet called Sasha.
Farming and Herblore[edit | edit source]
Arbuck seeds are exclusive to Anachronia; they may be found from Big Game Hunter and the slayer monsters on the island. These can be used to grow arbuck herbs, which are used in several potions, such as the stamina potion, extended super antifire potion, aggroverload, and adrenaline renewal potion.
Overgrown idols[edit | edit source]
Just as in Karamja, Anachronia has two overgrown idols which players can help clear at level 81 Woodcutting. Clearing the overgrowth will reward the player with a Totem of Navigation base and one of several different temporary Woodcutting boosts.
Fishing[edit | edit source]
There are two areas at which players can fish. They can cage, net, and harpoon fish north of the ripper dinosaurs in the south-east of the island, or they can cage, harpoon, lure, and bait around the spirit grove in the middle of the island.
Mining[edit | edit source]
There are four mining sites on Anachronia:
- Anachronia canyon mine (north-east mine) has six drakolith rocks and five orichalcite rocks.
- Anachronia south-west mine has three light animica rocks.
- Anachronia Swamp mine (south-east mine) has four dark animica rocks.
- Anachronia western ruins mine (north-west mine) has five adamantite rocks and four luminite rocks
All mines are far from a bank, so bringing an ore box is highly recommended.
The western ruins mine and the swamp mine can be both reached by using the Orthen teleportation device to teleport to Crypt of Varanus and Xolo City, respectively.
Archaeology[edit | edit source]
Orthen Dig Site[edit | edit source]
The island serves as the sixth dig site for the Archaeology skill, requiring level 90 Archaeology in order to get started. Rewards from this dig site include recipes for Heblore potions, several relics and teleportation nodes to transport to various areas of the island.
The Orthen Dig Site consists of the following four dig site locations which require Associate Qualification to enter:
|Crypt of Varanus||Observation outpost||Moksha ritual site||Xolo city|
Caches[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Players can complete several achievements on Anachronia such as for building the base camp buildings.
Pre-release[edit | edit source]
Anachronia was previously known as Fossil Island, also known as Kudos Island. Mentions of the island first appeared in the game after an update to Varrock Museum in 2007. The island was spoken of by the Museum's curator, Haig Halen, who mentions that reaching the yet-unexplored island is one of Varrock Museum's projects. A canal barge was under construction in the northern part of the Varrock Dig Site, overseen by the barge foreman, and claimed to be used to travel to the island via the River Salve. Obtaining 100 museum kudos was to be required to participate in the expedition.
Fossil Island was mentioned in a lore livestream in October 2012 as a massive project that had been talked about for years but which was not currently being developed. Mod Mark suggested that Fossil Island would be home to one of the Dragonkin. In the 2014 March VIP Q&A, Mod Osborne commented again that Fossil Island was not being worked on. At RuneFest 2015 Fossil Island was mentioned as a potential contender for an upcoming RuneLabs poll to add a new in-game area. However the poll, which took place in December 2015, was won by The Arc.
Anachronia was developed by Mods Daze, Erator, and Ramen. It was QA'ed by Mods Cel and Shrew. Mods BakingaZ and NicePants made the concept art. Mods Ian, Surma, and Slippers worked on the audio.
Release[edit | edit source]
Anachronia's release was promoted by the login screen by introducing a background titled The Land Out of Time, and playing excerpts of the music tracks heard on the island: Untamed Horizons, On Safer Ground, Discover, Adagio for Anachronia, and Laniakea's Journey.
Event noticeboards could be used to teleport to The Stormbreaker in Varrock Dig Site, while royal messengers could be found at some of the lodestones, handing out royal messages and offering to take players to the boat.
Music[edit | edit source]
- Adagio for Anachronia
- Anachronia Encounter!
- Beasts of Anachronia
- Beyond the Storm Wall
- Beyond Time's Reach
- Building a Better Future
- Dinosaur Slayer
- Dragonkin of Old
- Laniakea's Journey
- On Distant Shores
- On Safer Ground
- On the High Ropes
- Scare or Snare
- Seen and not Herb
- The Forgotten City Orthen
- Untamed Horizons
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Stormbreaker cutscene[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 9 November 2020 (Update):
- The bonfire in the south-east of Anachronia no longer references spooky-wooky vampyres.
- patch 5 October 2020 (Update):
- You are now unable to walk through the rocks near the liverwort in Anachronia.
- patch 22 June 2020 (Update):
- Pillar in ruins nearby to Pavosaurus rex can no longer be walked through.
- patch 3 February 2020 (Update):
- Updated the mining skill guide to include Anachronia mining locations for various ores.
- patch 20 January 2020 (Update):
- Content creators, rejoice! You can now get up close and personal to those absolute units in Anachronia before they get camera shy and disappear.
- patch 13 January 2020 (Update):
- There are now no options present when examining a zygomite that is in the ground.
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- The world map view of Anachronia has been tweaked slightly to better represent the terrain.
- Blocking has been added to a rock on Anachronia.
- Minor tweaks have been made to resolve issues regarding lighting on newer assets in areas such as Anachronia.
- Fixed some typos across Anachronia.
- Filled in a hole in the terrain by the Herby Werby DnD entrance on Anachronia.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Fossil Island was referenced in the 2014 April Fools event. It could be seen as a destination reachable at level 120 Sailing.
- Dino Island are the concept art labels in the Gallery images dated 2019.
- The name "Anachronia" comes from the word "anachronism", which in turn comes from the Greek ana- meaning "backward" or "previous", and khronus meaning "time". This relates to the island's alternate name "The Land Out of Time".
- The overall concept of the Land Out of Time seems to be heavily based on the concepts of multiple similar science fiction media such as author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel "The Lost World", or the 1974 NBC Network television series "Land of the Lost"; both of which involve groups of people that are, by either design or circumstance, transported to strange lands where prehistoric flora and fauna exist.
- On the far east side of the island there is a pool shrine overlooked by a dragonkin statue. Observing the statue yields the following: "There is an inscription at the base of the statue written in the dragonkin language. You make out the word 'Orthen' which you believe to mean 'first city'."
- Attempting to import a save in which the player is on Anachronia on the Weapon Diversity Beta teleported the player to Lumbridge as that area did not exist in that version of the game.
- Assuming 0% interest over the initial 200 days, Satipo's loan has a daily interest rate of 2.3415696% over the 365 days that elapsed since the message in a bottle was written.
- The examine text of the hermit crabs near the landing site of The Stormbreaker references the 1993 movie Jurassic Park (film) line by Jeff Goldblum, "Life, uh, finds a way."
- The names of the various buried Zygomites reference many television shows such as Rick and Morty, The Big Bang Theory, Ed, Edd n Eddy, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Sons of Anarchy and others.
- Upon unlocking the island with the tour group atop the mountain, a cut scene ensues with one of the hunters, quoting "When you see dinosaurs, do what we do; run" which is a reference to the film Matrix where Cypher tells Neo, "if you see an agent, do what we do; run".
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ RuneScape Month Ahead (June 2019) - Comp Cape Rework, Weapon Diversity, Summer Special. 7 June 2019. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2021.)
- ^ RuneScape's Land Out of Time - Slayer Skilling & Agility Course. 17 June 2019. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2021.)
- ^ RuneScape - Land Out of Time - The Story of Anachronia. 24 June 2019. (Archived from the original on 3 June 2021.)
- ^ a b Jagex. "Summer Update Revealed." 21 May 2019. RuneScape News.
- ^ RuneScape Cinematics - Desperate Times Outro. 16 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 3 June 2021.)
- ^ RuneScape Brings You 'The Land Out of Time'. 22 May 2019. (Archived from the original on 3 June 2021.)
- ^ Jagex. RuneFest 2019 Part 2 [OSRS]. 5 October 2019. "Anachronia isn't Orthen, but Orthen is on Anachronia. Orthen is a city on Anachronia." During the Lore Q&A section at RuneFest 2019.
- ^ Jagex. Official lore livestream with Mods Mark and Osborne : "Fossil Island will have lots of fossils on it, and is where one of the dragonkin is." (at 07:49) Official lore livestream, 4 November 2012.
- ^ Mod MattHe. Q&A: March VIP Answers. 7 March 2014. (Archived from the original on 9 March 2014.)
- ^ RuneScape - RuneFest 2015 - Updates of 2016. 15 October 2015. (Archived from the original on 3 June 2021.)
- ^ Avernic. Eastern Lands. RuneLabs. 17 December 2015.Lost reference*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 27 June 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 October 2019.)
- ^ RuneScape Content Showcase (June 2019) - Land Out of Time Lore, Art & Audio. 25 June 2019.