Adrenaline is used to determine what abilities a player may use. A player generates adrenaline through auto-attacks and Basic abilities. Threshold abilities require 50% adrenaline and drain 15% when used, and Ultimate abilities require the whole bar and drain it completely. When a player is out of combat for 10 seconds, their adrenaline bar will deplete by 5% adrenaline every 2 ticks until it hits zero.
A player may influence their adrenaline by using various potions, prayers, relic powers, and equipment, and they may preserve their adrenaline by the act of adrenaline stalling, which is described in a section below.
Logging out or hopping worlds will reset the player's adrenaline, regardless of how long they are logged out for, as does beginning a new combat in the Wilderness.
Gaining and using adrenaline[edit | edit source]
These are all the actions that influence a player's adrenaline:
Gaining[edit | edit source]
- Auto-attack with main-hand: +2%
- Invigorating perk: +10% per rank of adrenaline gained from any auto-attacks (a main-hand auto-attack would give 2.5% adrenaline)
- Auto-attack with off-hand: +1%
- Auto-attack with two-hand: +3%
- Auto-attacks need to deal damage to grant adrenaline, while abilities do not
- Magic two-handed auto-attacks will always give +2% adrenaline, Ranged two-handed auto-attacks will always alternate between +2% and +3%, and Melee two-handed auto-attacks will always give +3% adrenaline.
- Basic ability: +8%
- Super Guthix rest potion: +15%
- Adrenaline potion: +25%
- Super adrenaline potion: +30%
- Replenishment potion: +25%
- Powerburst of overkill: +40% over 6 seconds
- Leech Adrenaline: up to 10% (does not work against monsters, even ones that utilise adrenaline)
- Sap Spirit: -10% to target, but no gain to the player
- Enchanted ascendri bolts special: +1% per hit
Using[edit | edit source]
- Threshold ability: -15%
- Ultimate ability: -100%
- Out of combat: -5% per tick
- Consuming food: -10% (only when fighting a target)
- Regenerate: -10% per tick
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Ring of vigour: Saves 10% adrenaline after using an ultimate ability and allows special attacks to be executed with only 90% of the required adrenaline.
- Asylum surgeon's ring: Gives 10% chance to prevent adrenaline loss when using threshold abilities and a 40% chance of saving a quarter of a special attack's original adrenaline cost.
- Invigorate auras: Saves 2.5% adrenaline after using an ultimate ability. Grants an additional 2.5% adrenaline per tier of aura up to 10%. Stacks with the Ring of vigour.
- Inspiration aura: Successful attacks fill an extra 0.5% of your adrenaline bar.
- Ring of death: Gives a 50% chance to gain up to 5% adrenaline when defeating a target.
- Tireless blood essence: Gives a chance to gain 2% adrenaline when defeating a target. Can be activated to gain 15% adrenaline.
- Adrenaline urn: Stores up to 1000% adrenaline which can be used up to maintain a full adrenaline bar after leaving combat.
Relic powers[edit | edit source]
Relic powers can be obtained through the Archaeology skill to unlock permanent passive buffs. Several relic powers can be utilised to influence the players adrenaline as shown below. Only 3 relic powers with a combined energy cost of 500 or less can be active at one time.
|Relic power||Effect||Level||Required relic(s)||Monolith energy||Chronotes|
|Fury of the Small||All basic abilities generate 1% more adrenaline.||97||Goblin Warpaints (combine the Red hand cave painting with the Green skull cave painting||150||3000|
|Persistent Rage||Your adrenaline will not drain outside of combat.||98||The Rings of Razulei||150||3000|
|Heightened Senses||Increases maximum adrenaline by 10%.||105||Cup of Nectar||350||7000|
|Conservation of Energy||After using an ultimate ability, you will regain 10% adrenaline.||118||Experimental Aether Reactor||350||7000|
Adrenaline stalling[edit | edit source]
In some situations where the Persistent Rage relic power is not being used, a player may still want to preserve their adrenaline while not in combat. This is frequently done in the God Wars Dungeon when waiting for boss respawns or when Dungeoneering.
To adrenaline stall, one maintains their combat stance by using certain abilities that are available outside of combat. These are:
- Escape or Surge (share a cooldown).
- Resonance (requires a shield)
- Preparation (requires a shield)
- Devotion, Revenge, Reflect (threshold ability, requires 50% adrenaline, doesn't use 15% adrenaline outside combat)
- To be able to use these threshold abilities outside of combat your previous main target has to die or you lose the target by dropping out of combat stance (over 10 seconds out of combat)
To stall effectively, one must use an ability only when their combat stance is about to end. Combat stance lasts for 10 seconds after combat ends.
If in a location preventing use of movement abilities, one can only stall for a short time because of cooldowns. However, the use of a shield provides the abilities Resonance and Preparation and allows infinite stalling anywhere. Note that Revenge and Reflect, while both requiring a shield, are similar to Devotion that they are threshold abilities that do not consume adrenaline out of combat and can be used if something goes wrong.
Adrenaline in NPCs[edit | edit source]
Some monsters are capable of utilising the adrenaline and ability system.
- Bandit Brawler
- Penance Fighter
- Penance Ranger
- Donny the Lad
- Black Heather
- Speedy Keith
- Sir Leye
- Acheron mammoth
- Kalphite King
- Mercenary Joe
- Skulls mercenary
- Ambassador Jabari
- Saradominist thaumaturge
- Saradominist enforcer
- Saradominist scout
- Zamorakian occultist
- Zamorakian blackguard
- Zamorakian bandit
- Armadylean shaman
- Armadylean myrmidon
- Armadylean skirmisher
- Bandosian wild mage
- Bandosian reaver
- Bandosian hunter
- Stone clone
- Saradominist sage
- Saradominist ranger
- Zamorakian warlock (Battle of Lumbridge)
- Zamorakian footsoldier
- Zamorakian sniper
- Saradominist gatherer
- Saradominist field medic
- Saradominist minelayer
- Saradominist sharpshooter
- Saradominist rogue
- Zamorakian gatherer
- Zamorakian minelayer
- Zamorakian sharpshooter
- Zamorakian rogue
- JMod clone
- Ikadia the Exile
- Godless ambusher
- Bandosian battle-mage
- Armadylean ambusher
- Armadylean battle-mage
- Bandosian ambusher
- Echo of Jas
- Dragon-hunter archer
- Dragon-hunter mage
- Dragon-hunter warrior
- Cadarn magus
- Cadarn ranger
- Iorwerth guard
- Iorwerth scout
- New Varrock guard
- New Varrock guard captain
- Infernal Mage (elite)
- White Knight (Invasion of Falador)
- Black Knight (Invasion of Falador)
- Ripper Demon
- Zamorakian leader
- Zamorakian bodyguard
- Skulls bosun
- Skulls scout
- Skulls press-ganger
- Hein (Skulls champion)
- Seasinger priestess
- Gu ronin
- Death Lotus rogue
- Eastern soldier
- Skulls mercenary (Uncharted Isles)
- Nex: Angel of Death
- Imperial warrior akh
- Imperial ranger akh
- Imperial mage akh
- The Magister
- Armadylean shaman (Treasure Trails)
- Manifestation of Erethdor
- Jade the Unruly
- Sarkhan the Serpentspeaker
- Xiang the Water-shaper
- Oyu the Quietest
- Goku the Unrelenting
- Ahoeitu the Chef
- Olivia the Chronicler
- Yukimura of Hanto
- Menaphite guard captain
- The Violet Lotus
- Elite Sotapanna
- Elite Sakadagami
- Eastern mercenary
- Crystal Shapeshifter
- Ulthven Keith
- Lady Himiko
- Shrine Maiden Elei
- Tombi, Khan of Thalassia
- Maw of Kolthregar
- Hand of Dagnath
- Eye of Cythan
- Ulthven necromancer
- Enlightened Sotapanna
- Unnatural Trahaearn titan
- Warrior cabbage
- Cabbage archer
- Ninja cabbage
- Monkey warrior
- Monkey archer (Faction PvP)
- Monkey spirit
- Armadylean warrior
- Iorwerth scout (Faction PvP)
Update history[edit | edit source]
- update 30 March 2020 (Update):
- Updated the colour of the Adrenaline Bar to better aid those with colour blindness.
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- Auto-regenerate will no longer give you a message that it has failed to activate if no adrenaline is available.
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- An issue causing AoE spells, such as the burst and barrage ancient magicks, to not award adrenaline correctly has been fixed.
- Bladed dive will now award adrenaline when being used to enter combat.
- Using a basic ability while running in to combat will now award adrenaline correctly.
- There is a new user setting called "Automatically trigger regenerate" which activates when leaving combat. The setting can be found under Gameplay-> Combat-> Action Bar.
- patch 13 August 2018 (Update):
- You will no longer be able to infinitely stall adrenaline by using a spell that you do not meet that requirements for.
- patch 4 September 2017 (Update):
- Adrenaline will no longer occasionally fully drain when fighting in Clan Wars.
- hotfix 10 April 2017 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with performing melee weapon special attacks for no adrenaline cost.
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- Re-entering combat shortly after leaving will no longer drain 5% adrenaline.
- patch 15 September 2014 (Update):
- Being in a group will no longer hide other players' adrenaline bars.