Achievements (previously known as Tasks and Achievement Diaries) are challenges that players may complete in order to earn rewards. The achievements system consists of achievements grouped under skills, areas, PvM, and completionist categories. There are 2,265 achievements of which 46 are hidden until achieved.
Of the 2,265 achievements, 189 of them do not award RuneScore (0 value) due to being heavily luck-dependent, such as skill pets, boss pets or boss collection log achievements. Dynamic achievements that need to be completed again upon the release of new game content also award 0 RuneScore - this is to ensure that players' RuneScore do not decrease when new updates with additional requirements for those achievements are released.
All achievements combined give a maximum RuneScore of 24,755. The game unfortunately shows different amounts for both the total of achievements as well as the maximum RuneScore. This is a known issue.
To access the achievements system, players should click on the Hero icon in their interface. In Legacy-mode players need to click the Settings-icon to access this. Doing so will bring up the Hero interface. By opening the achievements tab, a player can view an overview of the achievements (including the Path System), list of all achievements and a tracker for achievements.
Achievements categories[edit | edit source]
Skills achievements[edit | edit source]
The skills achievements list milestones in each of the skills. The last achievement in all skills is reaching level 99, except for Dungeoneering, Slayer, and Invention that continue until level 120. Most skills also have their own subcategories for achievements related to that skill. The Skilling Pets achievements list achievements for obtaining each of the skilling pets and the titles for obtaining those.
Exploration achievements[edit | edit source]
The exploration achievements are based around various areas of the game, asking players to complete a variety of tasks around these zones. Almost all of the sub-categories in this category offer special rewards for completing a meta-achievement: a special wearable item, experience lamps, and various bonuses in the specific area. Additionally, most achievements in this category are split into one of five difficulty types: Beginner, Easy, Medium, Hard, or Elite.
Only Lumbridge has a beginner level and no elite level, since it was the original starting area. These are the latest iteration of the original "Achievement Diaries".
Combat achievements[edit | edit source]
The combat achievements are based around various kinds of combat, varying from fighting bosses solo, in groups, killing them often, collecting the boss pets, or general achievements related to combat.
Minigames achievements[edit | edit source]
The minigames achievements are based around the various minigames and activities in RuneScape.
Miscellaneous achievements[edit | edit source]
Completionist achievements[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The first achievement set (Karamja) was released on 8 May 2007. It was originally named an Achievement Diary and had three difficulty levels: Easy, Medium, and Hard. The interface resembled that of the quest list and was actually a sub-menu of the Quest Tab. As with quests, each diary turned green once completed. Achievement diaries were later split into a separate interface tab, merged into the Noticeboard tab, and eventually put in the Hero interface in the New Interface System.
A total of six more Achievement Diaries were later released. The Ardougne Tasks, released on 20 October 2009, was the first set to have a fourth difficulty level, Elite. Elite Tasks were added to most other areas on 7 September 2010.
On 24 November 2010, the system of Achievement Diaries was changed into the Task system. The interface was redesigned, extra rewards were added, and more tasks (not considered to be part of the Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks set) were released for the Lumbridge area, meant as an introduction to the Tasks system for new players. Since then, more tasks have been periodically added to this generic set. Many of these "Miscellaneous" tasks are very simple to complete (e.g. Use the "Run" feature) and as such have a Beginner difficulty level.
On 29 August 2017 the interface was further reworked, adding a new system called RuneScore to track the player's achievement progress, adding new categories and achievements, and fixing numerous complaints with the previous overhaul.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- Recently-completed quest achievements no longer give an error, as they have nowhere to link to.
- patch 19 November 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where some achievements weren't counting towards total achievement completion.
- Adjusted the grammar on some achievement titles and descriptions.
- patch 18 June 2018 (Update):
- A new miniquest section has been added under the Miscellaneous section in your Achievements.
- Clan achievements have been moved from Exploration to the Miscellaneous section
- Achievement numbers will now correctly add up.
- patch 8 May 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that stopped you from receiving an achievement diary reward if the previous reward was stored in your keepsake.
- patch 9 April 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with the achievement tracker having an empty slot which could not be used.
- ninja 3 April 2018 (Update):
- Cosmetic overrides of task items have been added to the wardrobe. Keepsaked items have also been removed and a key refunded.
- patch 12 February 2018 (Update):
- Meta-achievements - such as 'Falador Set Tasks - Easy' or 'Completionist Cape' - once again pop up upon completion.
- hotfix 31 August 2017 (Update):
- Corrected an issue that was disconnecting players when clicking on certain achievements.
- hotfix 30 August 2017 (Update):
- Tweaked some script when initially loading the achievements interface to prevent disconnects under certain circumstances.
- patch 10 April 2017 (Update):
- The autopinning tasks feature has been disabled for new account holders who have played RuneScape before.
- patch 28 February 2012 (Update):
- The red strikethrough on requirements on the Task System is now placed correctly on the text.
- patch 12 October 2011 (Update):
- patch 16 May 2011 (Update):
- The Skeletal Horror Task now appears in the Task List when not completed, instead of after being completed for the week.
- patch 1 December 2010 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Seven areas that do not have a current achievement subcategory were displayed as locations in the former tasks tab when visiting the areas before the tasks tab got removed with the Achievement System rework on 18 April 2017. These areas were the Gnome Lands, Feldip Hills, Keldagrim, Dorgesh-Kaan, Piscatoris, Islands (Entrana, Ape Atoll, Crash Island, Void Knights' Outpost, Braindeath Island, Mos Le'Harmless, Harmony Island, Rock Island Prison and Iceberg), and the Outer Planes (Zanaris).
- If all the achievements for a higher group (hard achievements, for example) are completed without completing the ones that precede it, then the rewards for those higher achievement sets are not rewarded until the lower achievement sets are completed as well.
- The amount of achievements grew with the updates listed below (not all updates are listed):
- 18 June 2018: 1,832
- 4 December 2017: 1,779
- September 2017: 1,654
- May 2017: 1,203
- January 2016: 657
- September 2014: 603
- May 2012: 533
- February 2012: 426
- November 2010: 417