Achievements (previously known as Tasks and Achievement Diaries) are standalone challenges which players may complete in order to earn rewards. The achievements system consists of achievements grouped under skills, exploration, combat, minigames, miscellaneous, and completionist categories. There are 2,532 achievements of which 60 are hidden until achieved.
To access the achievements system, players can click on the Hero icon in their interface. In Legacy mode players need to click the Settings icon to access this. Doing so will bring up the Hero interface. By opening the achievements tab, a player can view an overview of the achievements (including the Path System), list of all achievements, and a tracker for achievements.
In addition to any rewards received from completing a challenge, most achievements award RuneScore. All achievements combined give a maximum RuneScore of 28,415.
Achievements categories[edit | edit source]
Skills achievements[edit | edit source]
The skills achievements list milestones in each of the skills. The last achievement in all skills is reaching level 99, except for Archaeology, Dungeoneering, Slayer, Farming, Herblore, and Invention that continue until level 120. Most skills also have their own subcategories for achievements related to that skill. The Skilling Pets achievements list achievements for obtaining each of the skilling pets and the titles for obtaining those.
Exploration achievements[edit | edit source]
The exploration achievements are based around various areas of the game, asking players to complete a variety of tasks around these zones. Almost all of the sub-categories in this category offer special rewards for completing the meta-achievement regarding the area. These reward are a special wearable item, experience lamps, and various bonuses in the specific area. Additionally, most achievements in this category are split into one of five difficulty types: Beginner, Easy, Medium, Hard, or Elite. Only Lumbridge has a beginner level and no elite level, since it was the original starting area. These are the latest iteration of the original "Achievement Diaries".
It is also worth noting that not every area has a special reward when all their respective achievements are completed. Below you can find a list of which areas have a meta-achievement item reward on completion:
|Fremennik||Fremennik sea boots|
|New Varrock||Upgrades Varrock armour|
|Seers' Village||Seer's headband|
|Wushanko: The Arc||-|
Combat achievements[edit | edit source]
The combat achievements are based around various kinds of combat, varying from fighting bosses solo, in groups, killing them often, collecting the boss pets, or general achievements related to combat.
Minigames achievements[edit | edit source]
The minigames achievements are based around the various minigames and activities in RuneScape.
Miscellaneous achievements[edit | edit source]
Completionist achievements[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- The first achievement set (Karamja) was released on 8 May 2007. It was originally named an Achievement Diary and had three difficulty levels: Easy, Medium, and Hard. The interface resembled that of the quest list and was actually a sub-menu of the Quest Tab. As with quests, each diary turned green once completed. Achievement diaries were later split into a separate interface tab, merged into the Noticeboard tab, and eventually put in the Hero interface in the New Interface System.
- A total of six more Achievement Diaries were later released. The Ardougne Tasks, released on 20 October 2009, was the first set to have a fourth difficulty level, Elite. Elite Tasks were added to most other areas on 7 September 2010.
- On 24 November 2010, the system of Achievement Diaries was changed into the Task system. The interface was redesigned, extra rewards were added, and more tasks (not considered to be part of the Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks set) were released for the Lumbridge area, meant as an introduction to the Tasks system for new players. Since then, more tasks have been periodically added to this generic set. Many of these "Miscellaneous" tasks are very simple to complete (e.g. Use the "Run" feature) and as such have a Beginner difficulty level.
- On 19 September 2012 the Task System was renamed achievements.
- On 18 April 2017 the interface was reworked to include the skills, PvM, and completionist achievements too instead of just exploration achievements.
- On 29 August 2017 the interface was further reworked, adding a new system called RuneScore to track the player's achievement progress, adding new categories and achievements, and fixing numerous complaints with the previous overhaul.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 13 July 2020 (Update):
- The Achievement subcategory is now displayed correctly.
- update 30 March 2020 (Update):
- Mousing over Achievements will now show your progress towards any Meta Achievements they are included in.
- Added tooltips to the Meta Achievements listed under an Achievement to show what's required. For example, the tooltip for the 'Who's The Boss? VI' Achievement, listed as a requirement for the 'Final Boss' Achievement, states 'Kill a total number of bosses. (X/5,000)'.
- patch 18 November 2019 (Update):
- The x/y tracker for an achievement path in the activity tracker heading now displays the selected achievement in the path, not the completed achievements in the path.
- To keep the systems in sync, selecting a locked or completed achievement in the path window now also selects this achievement in the activity tracker.
- Content icons in the activity tracker now display a padlock over locked achievements and a tick over completed achievements, in a similar fashion to the achievement path window.
- patch 11 November 2019 (Update):
- Disabling guidance system hints (Gameplay -> General -> Optional Interfaces in Settings) now prevents automatically selecting the next available achievement in a path if no path is selected and the activity tracker is empty.
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with text colours in the achievements window being hard to differentiate.
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- Recently-completed quest achievements no longer give an error, as they have nowhere to link to.
- patch 19 November 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where some achievements weren't counting towards total achievement completion.
- Adjusted the grammar on some achievement titles and descriptions.
- patch 18 June 2018 (Update):
- A new miniquest section has been added under the Miscellaneous section in your Achievements.
- Clan achievements have been moved from Exploration to the Miscellaneous section.
- Achievement numbers will now correctly add up.
- patch 8 May 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that stopped you from receiving an achievement diary reward if the previous reward was stored in your keepsake.
- patch 9 April 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with the achievement tracker having an empty slot which could not be used.
- ninja 3 April 2018 (Update):
- Cosmetic overrides of task items have been added to the wardrobe. Keepsaked items have also been removed and a key refunded.
- patch 12 February 2018 (Update):
- Meta-achievements - such as 'Falador Set Tasks - Easy' or 'Completionist Cape' - once again pop up upon completion.
- patch 15 January 2018 (Update):
- The 'You have completed the Task!' message no longer appears after completing specific pieces of content, such as Fate of the Gods.
- patch 15 January 2018 (Update):
- The Divination tutorial achievements are now in a Skills subcategory.
- Details for the desert, Tirannwn and Wilderness area achievements are now phrased consistently with other area achievements.
- Details for the Final Boss achievement are now phrased consistently with the Insane Final boss achievement.
- ninja 4 December 2017 (Update):
- A milestone for the Arc has been added to the third tab of the achievement interface.
- ninja 9 October 2017 (Update):
- Achievements for the Chaos Elemental, Giant Mole and King Black Dragon no longer display a member requirement.
- hotfix 31 August 2017 (Update):
- Corrected an issue that was disconnecting players when clicking on certain achievements.
- hotfix 30 August 2017 (Update):
- Tweaked some script when initially loading the achievements interface to prevent disconnects under certain circumstances.
- patch 12 June 2017 (Update):
- Raids' feats window has been removed as the feats now appear on Achievement tab under PvM.
- Achievement - Barbarian Scavenger (Trimmed Comp) will now correctly complete only upon finding the last entry.
- The achievement Work on your Artisan (Trimmed Completionist Cape) was incorrectly completing if you had any one of the rewards unlocked (rather than all of them). This has only been an issue since the launch of the achievements system, so anyone who had legitimately fully completed the Artisans' Workshop will remain able to wear their trimmed comp cape. However, if you've falsely been able to wear the cape because of this issue, you'll have to go back and complete all the rewards as originally intended.
- Certain NPCs and Locs will no longer disappear after completion of Our Man in the North.
- patch 22 May 2017 (Update):
- Explorer Jack now once again hands out rewards for completing area achievements.
- The achievement tracker will now shuffle achievements upwards if there is an empty space.
- hotfix 15 May 2017 (Update):
- A disconnect when logging in with a certain combination of achievements completed has been fixed.
- patch 2 May 2017 (Update):
- The Bar Crawl requirement on some achievements should now be ticked off correctly.
- patch 10 April 2017 (Update):
- The autopinning tasks feature has been disabled for new account holders who have played RuneScape before.
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- An error in the amount of listed total tasks complete within progress for Lumbridge/Draynor has been resolved.
- ninja 15 December 2014 (Update):
- There is no longer a scroll bar on the achievements tab when choosing a task set.
- patch 1 November 2014 (Update):
- Players will no longer receive a task complete popup if they also had a task info window appear when completing a task.
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- Pinning tasks will no longer display a different task than the one selected.
- patch 4 March 2013 (Update):
- The task system has been updated to remove references to the old Rune Mysteries quest.
- patch 5 February 2013 (Update):
- Some tweaks to the task side panels have been made for numbering and formatting.
- patch 28 February 2012 (Update):
- The red strikethrough on requirements on the Task System is now placed correctly on the text.
- patch 12 October 2011 (Update):
- patch 16 May 2011 (Update):
- The Skeletal Horror Task now appears in the Task List when not completed, instead of after being completed for the week.
- patch 9 February 2011 (Update):
- Some additional user information has been added to progressing and completing Tasks.
- patch 7 December 2010 (Update):
- The Tasks interface now correctly recognises the locality north of Edgeville.
- patch 1 December 2010 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Seven areas that do not have a current achievement subcategory were displayed as locations in the former tasks tab when visiting the areas before the tasks tab got removed with the Achievement System rework on 18 April 2017. These areas were the Gnome Lands, Feldip Hills, Keldagrim, Dorgesh-Kaan, Piscatoris, Islands (Entrana, Ape Atoll, Crash Island, Void Knights' Outpost, Braindeath Island, Mos Le'Harmless, Harmony Island, Rock Island Prison and Iceberg), and the Outer Planes (Zanaris).
- If all the achievements for a higher group (hard achievements, for example) are completed without completing the ones that precede it, then the rewards for those higher achievement sets are not rewarded until the lower achievement sets are completed as well.
- The amount of achievements grew with the updates listed below (not all updates are listed):
- 18 June 2018: 1,832
- 4 December 2017: 1,779
- September 2017: 1,654
- May 2017: 1,203
- January 2016: 657
- September 2014: 603
- May 2012: 533
- February 2012: 426
- November 2010: 417