Acheron (pronounced ASH-uh-ron) is a frozen continent located north of the Fremennik Province. It has a reputation for being both incredibly cold and hazardous. According to Chieftain Brundt, one would need a sturdy and agile body simply to stay alive. Fremennik stories claim the continent is home to malicious winds that are cold enough to freeze hearts to stone, and the crew of the Lady Zay jokingly claim that it is cold enough to freeze the words coming out of one's mouth.
The Fremennik claim that Acheron is home to things which "live where no living thing should survive". So far, the only known inhabitants are intelligent animals. Among these are the Acheron mammoths, who pride themselves on being great warriors. They claim to act as peacekeepers between the continent's infighting factions. A group of these mammoths can be found on the Mammoth iceberg, which broke away from the continent and floated south. The Penguins also hail from Acheron, their "Motherland" being a region on the continent. Within the Motherland is the city of Palingrad, and they are also believed to have a secret base elsewhere on Acheron.
The Fremennik plan to lead an expedition to the continent, once they have dealt with the Dagannoth.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In ancient Greek Mythology, Acheron was known as the river of pain, and was one of the five rivers of the Greek Underworld.
- It was suggested that Acheron could be part of a future fourth quest in the penguin quest series by Mod Osbourne in a Behind the Scenes video for Some Like It Cold in August 2012.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Pack mammoth, RuneScape. "We mammoths herald from the great continent of Acheron. It is a place frought[sic] with danger and infighting amongst the various factions. As the greatest warriors in the region, we mammoths keep the peace."
- ^ Brundt the Chieftain, RuneScape. "North of this town the atmosphere becomes bitterly cold. There are a number of small inhabited islands that we have sea routes with. . .Beyond those islands, there is the large frozen wasteland we call Acheron. It is an inhospitable land, and you will need an agile and sturdy body just to keep alive in its perils."
- ^ a b c Jagex. Postbag 20 - "Transcript:Tales from earlier ages", 4, by Chieftain Brundt. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge. "the frozen lands of Acheron are a terrible vicious place. We do not fear the cold but there are things up there that live where no living thing should survive. The stories tell of icy winds with intent so malicious they will wrap themselves around your heart until it freezes like stone. . .In good time we will venture north. . .the time is not yet right, the dangers of the daggermouths have not been overcome yet and until they have it would be prudent to wait.
- ^ Jenny Blade, RuneScape. "You think this is cold? Up by Acheron it gets so cold that when you talk you see the words freeze in the air in front of you!" (Dialogue is shared among most of the Lady Zay's crewmembers)
- ^ Jagex. Above the Lore - episode 2: The Future of Funny Mod Raven : "Acheron is the continent. The Motherland is part of the continent." Above the Lore podcast, 16 May 2013.
- ^ Chuck, "Some Like it Cold", RuneScape. "We believe he has learned the location of the penguins' secret base on Acheron."
- ^ RuneScape BTS 12: Some Like it Cold!. 3 August 2012. (Archived from the original on 29 May 2021.)
|Characters mentioned in the letters|