Enter the Abyss is a miniquest during which the player helps the Zamorakians access the rune essence mines so that they can craft their own runes. Previously it had been a Saradominist secret, but the Mage of Zamorak asks for the player's help in learning it.
- Follow the River Lum near Edgeville until you reach the Mage of Zamorak; he wanders around level 4-7 Wilderness. Talk to him and he will explain to you that it is too dangerous to talk in the Wilderness. He wants you to meet him back at Varrock. Note that he will not talk to you if you are wearing Saradomin or Guthix items.
- Head to Varrock and find him located at the Zamorak Chaos Temple (south-east of Aubury's Rune Shop). Talk to him there and then ask him where he gets his runes from when the question is available. He will tell you about the Abyss and that he is having problems. Say that you will help him.
- He will then give you a scrying orb. He will explain that you need to travel to the Rune Essence mine from three different locations with the orb in your inventory (excluding Burthorpe). This will give the scrying orb readings of where you travelled from and how you got there.
- Travel to the rune essence mines from three of the five locations.
- When you are done, go back to the Chaos Temple in Varrock. Speak to the Zamorakian Mage and he will tell you to speak with him again in a short while.
- Speak to him again and he will give you 1,000 Runecrafting experience, an Abyssal book and a small pouch. You have completed the miniquest!
- If you are wearing any Saradomin or Guthix equipment, he will tell you to take it off before speaking to him, because it is disrespecting the "holy place".
- You can now be teleported to the Abyss upon request. To travel there speak to the Mage in the Wilderness by the River Lum as you did in the beginning or right-click "Teleport".
- Music unlocked
Enter the Abyss is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
It is therefore an indirect requirement for the following quests and miniquests:
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!