A Tail of Two Cats
|A Tail of Two Cats (#87)|
|Release date||26 September 2005 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Jonathan S|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
Missing: small black cat, answers to the name of Bob.
Last seen on the 19th of Bennath. Please contact Unferth in Burthorpe.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Unferth in his house in Burthorpe.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
Lonely[edit | edit source]
Start the quest by talking to Unferth in his house in Burthorpe, to the east of Carwen Essencebinder Magical Runes Shop and to the south of Gaius's Two-Handed Shop. Make sure to speak to him with a catspeak amulet equipped and your pet cat following you (if your cat is in your inventory, it will automatically appear next to you during the conversation). Unferth notices your companion and tells you that he had raised a cat too, named Bob; although he ran away a week ago. Offer to help bring back Bob, and he will tell you to talk to Hild, who is "cleverer" than he is and may be helpful in locating Bob.
Cathunt[edit | edit source]
Enter the third house to the south-west of Unferth (directly north of the Heroes' Guild) and talk to Hild. Apparently, she is well-versed in cat dialect and also knows about a few secrets contained inside the catspeak amulet. The amulet contains a mechanism inside, which when enchanted using five death runes, creates a device which can be used to narrow down Bob's location in a general direction. Provide Hild with the death runes and she will return an enchanted catspeak amulet.
Open the amulet to bring up an interface; it works somewhat like a compass - by default it faces north, so rotate the whiskers to move the arrow direction. When you see the cat's eyes light up, go in that direction to find Bob.
A good strategy for finding Bob the Cat is to use triangulation. Find the direction of Bob from Hild's house, and then teleport somewhere far, like Varrock or Rimmington. Find which direction Bob is from there, and by tracing the two directions from where they started to where they cross, you will have a pretty good idea where Bob is. He appears as a yellow dot on your minimap. Server updates lead to resetting Bob's location to Burthorpe.
Bob's common locations:
Strong Lineage[edit | edit source]
After finding Bob, talk to him. He tells you he left because he's smitten by Neite, who refuses to interact with him because she doesn't know about his family. Your cat suggests you talk to Gertrude about Bob's family as she was the one who handed Bob over to Unferth.
Travel to Varrock and talk to Gertrude. She says that she has no idea about Bob's lineage,as she found him at her doorstep in a basket, although your cat tells you to ask her about a warrior called Robert the Strong. When she fails to remember the name, she directs you to Reldo, in the library in Varrock palace.
Reldo says that Robert the Strong is a forgotten legend from the Fourth Age and was taller and stronger than any other man of his time. His longbow was six feet tall and he fought immortal monsters known as the Dragonkin, alongside his sidekick, Odysseus, a black panther.
Go back and speak with Bob. After trying hard to help him remember his past, Odysseus, the dragonkin, your cat reminds you of your adventures in the desert, when you were hypnotized by the Devourer. It says that maybe the Sphinx can help Bob access his lost memories in the same manner.
Memories[edit | edit source]
Talk to the Sphinx in Sophanem. Ask her for help, and after a bit, you'll have the option to view a 5 minute 20 second cutscene or get a brief summary of what happens. If you choose the brief summary, you won't be offered the option of being teleported to Burthorpe.
During the cutscene, the Sphinx will teleport Bob to Sophanem and hypnotize him. Bob, thinking back on his earliest memories, recalls himself as Robert the Strong. He sees himself looking over at a tower beside Odysseus, followed by a battle between them and Dragonkin; the Dragonkin manages to slay the panther and weaken Robert but is killed by an immensely powerful attack by him.
After the cutscene, the Sphinx teleports Neite to Bob, who will be impressed and fall in love with him. Bob will tell you to keep his owner busy by doing his chores, and you will be given the option to teleport back to Sophanem or directly to Burthorpe.
Bob's list[edit | edit source]
Go back to Unferth's house in Burthorpe and do these chores:
- Tend garden: Weed Unferth's patch in the yard just east of the house and plant four potato seeds. You will need to wait about 25 – 35 minutes for them to grow. If this is the only remaining chore, your cat/kitten will alert you when the crops are fully grown.
- Tidy house: Make Unferth's bed. This takes one click and is the easiest chore.
- Warm human: Use some logs on the fireplace and light it.
- Feed human: Use a bucket of milk and a chocolate cake on the table. Right click your cake! Do not eat it.
- Tidy human: Use a pair of shears on Unferth to shave his hair. (Shears in the tool belt can be used by talking to Unferth and selecting the second option)
Unferth's "sickness"[edit | edit source]
After you've done the chores, talk to Unferth again. He'll tell you that he's very ill and must see a doctor or a nurse immediately. As you have promised to take care of Unferth, you must cure him before Bob returns.
Talk to the apothecary in Varrock. He will tell you that Unferth is a hypochondriac, thinking that he's sick all the time even though he really has been tested for illnesses and it's all in his head. The apothecary suggests you disguise yourself as a doctor or nurse, and "treat" Unferth with a placebo drug. Holding nothing in your hands, wear a doctor's hat or a nurse hat - provided by the Apothecary - and some white robes (such as druid robes or if you have completed Biohazard, a doctor's gown will work, but you will still need a desert or druid robe bottom) and bring a vial of water to Unferth. You cannot be holding a weapon or he will not believe you're a doctor. He will, however, believe that the vial contains a miracle potion to cure anything, and his imaginary illness will clear up.
Love-cats[edit | edit source]
Using your catspeak amulet, find Bob again and talk to him. He could still be in the same place, or he may have moved to another of the other locations mentioned above. You'll see a cutscene showing all the adventures Bob takes Neite on, including a magic carpet ride in Sophanem, a conversation between Bob and the King Black Dragon (a player spoof known as R4ng3rno0b889 also tries to attack the dragon, but the dragon kills him instantly), and a journey on the fishing trawler ship.
If at any time during the cutscene, you try to interact with the surroundings (i.e. trying to pick up the bones of the dead ranger), you will be sent back to Burthorpe and you'll have to find Bob again and start the cutscene over.
After the cutscene, talk to Unferth with your catspeak amulet on to get a present from Bob.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- A mysterious present containing
- Catspeak amulet (e), which allows you to locate Bob.
- Doctor's hat or nurse hat (you can switch by destroying your hat and requesting a new one from the Apothecary)
- You can talk to Historian Minas in the Varrock Museum to receive 5 kudos.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- A Tail of Two Cats ( 0) – Complete this Intermediate quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
A Tail of Two Cats is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Full completion of Azzanadra's Quest
- Children of Mah
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Full completion of Hero's Welcome
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir
- Nomad's Elegy
- Full completion of One of a Kind
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- Full completion of The World Wakes
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Development team[edit | edit source]
Cultural references[edit | edit source]
- The name of the quest "A Tail of Two Cats" is a reference to Charles Dickens' novel, A Tale of Two Cities.
- Unferth mentions that Bob usually returns on a Monday, referencing the comic strip Garfield, in which the titular cat despises Mondays and the misfortunes they usually bring.
- One of the cutscenes shows Bob and Neite travelling on a flying carpet, referencing Aladdin.
- A cutscene showing Bob and Neite recreating the travelling scene from Shrek 2.
- Another scene shows Bob and Neite recreating the iconic bow scene from Titanic, where he shouts, "I'm the King of Gielinor".
- Bob's line before he is hypnotized,"Hey! I'm just this cat, you know?", is a reference to a repeated line in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: "Zaphod's just zis guy, you know?"
- Bob's line "Love lies not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is the winged Cupid painted blind" is a quotation from Helena's monologue in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Robert the Strong is a reference to Achilles from greek mythology who fights alongside Odysseus in the Trojan war.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 15 February 2021 (Update):
- The fireplace during 'A Tale of Two Cats' will now behave correctly.
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- Added chocolate cake to A Tail of Two Cats quest overview required items section.
- patch 8 May 2018 (Update):
- Reclaiming a doctor or nurses hat from the Apothecary will no longer reset A Tail of Two Cats quest progress.
- patch 4 September 2017 (Update):
- The 'Sphinx Now' faces the correct direction during a conversation in a cutscene in the 'A Tail of Two Cats' quest.
- patch 3 July 2017 (Update):
- The ending cutscene of A Tail of Two Cats has been updated to account for Sophanem's recent graphical improvements.
- patch 30 August 2016 (Update):
- Players are no longer left stretching after viewing the end cutscene for A Tail of Two Cats.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- Changed the colour of uncompleted chores in A Tail of Two Cats for better readability.
- patch 1 November 2014 (Update):
- Reldo will no longer lean too far forward when talking about the Tail of Two Cats quest.
- patch 13 November 2012 (Update):
- The Dragonkin in the Tale of Two Cats cutscene have been graphically updated.
- patch 28 February 2012 (Update):
- The Tail of Two Cats cutscene is no longer interrupted by the Anvil attacking cutscene from Troll Warzone.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- Hell kittens had the wrong chat head during the A Tail of Two Cats quest.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The dialogue between your cat and Bob after finding him is a reference to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. Darth Vader says the same lines to Luke when they fight for the first time.
- After viewing the final cutscene, a glitch may occur where you will enter dialogue with "Love Cats", who has no chathead and has the same dialogue as Bob.
- Unferth saying that Bob returns home every week on Monday is a reference to how Bob respawns in Burthorpe every time there is a game update, which usually occurred on Monday at the time the quest was released.
- The quest had a scrapped cutscene which included Bob and Neite's wedding (with Neite wearing a wedding veil and Bob wearing a white bow tie), as well as several other unused NPCs, such as their child Beite, two gnomes (with one wielding a Daguerreotype camera) and Odysseus' ghost. As the developer of the quest resigned before finishing it, the cutscene was never developed, but the NPCs remained in the game code, before eventually being removed and replaced. Bob's bowtie made it into the final quest during the Sophanem magic carpet cutscenes with Neite, but it was removed when cats were graphically updated.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
An unused model of Odysseus as a ghost.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 25 January 2019. (Archived from the original on 20 December 2019.) Mod Ash: "I don't believe the dev ever wrote any code for that. He resigned before the quest was completed, and the rest of us shepherded it through the end of testing and launch. It's a shame - he was a clever programmer."