A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift
|A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift (#165)|
|Also called||FTP3, A Fairy Tale Part III - Orks Rift|
|Release date||13 May 2010 (Update)|
|Quest series||Fairy Tale|
|Main developer(s)||Tytn H, Ingrid J|
|Design review||Chihiro Y|
|Graphics||Alec V, Chris W, Gurpreet K, James W, Rakesh M|
|Quality assurance||Adam D, Andrew E, Nicola C, Sarah J|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
The Fairy Queen is back to full health and her resistance movement is gathering momentum, but the Godfather (and his ever-growing ork army) aren't going to give up the throne without a fight. Defeating all those orks is going to be like pulling teeth.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point|| Fairy Very Wise.
If you plan to start the quest immediately after finishing the second part, leave Zanaris first. You may have to log out and back in after leaving Zanaris.
You must take a fairy ring from any location to Zanaris to start the quest, although you will end up in a small area with Fairy Very Wise.If you decline her offer to take up the quest you will not be teleported to this location again upon accessing a fairy ring. Instead, you will have to use the code BIR to access this location manually. If the last place you teleported is the resistance HQ then you will have to type in the code twice.
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat|
Starting off[edit | edit source]
Equip a Dramen staff or Lunar staff and use a fairy ring to go to Zanaris, but you'll be directed to the Sparse Plane, coordinate BIR if unable to be directed. Talk to Fairy Very Wise who would cast a spell that allow you to reach the Fairy Resistance Hideout without needing to carry Nuff's certificate, and ask for your help, offering to teleport you to the Hideout directly.
You cannot exit through the fairy ring without accepting, but if you teleport out, you will have go through the process manually. Using any other fairy ring, scroll down to the bottom and click on the Fairy Resistance HQ node, you must go through all four teleports. You just have to click on the Fairy Resistance HQ option four times. If you previous teleport was to the hideout, you only need to do it once.
Once in the Fairy Resistance HQ, speak to the Fairy Queen, to start the quest. If you have just finished A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen, you will have to wait around thirty minutes in order to begin this quest. If that didn't work then logout and login again, and then it should work.
Talk to the Tooth fairy and she will ask you to turn on the projector to watch a briefing about Fairy Tooth Magic.
Warning: a non-flickering version of the briefings is available, but you are only given the option to choose the type of briefings once. When asked, make sure to choose "non-flickering briefings" if you suffer from epilepsy, other vision problems, or are at risk of seizures.
After the briefing, select the last option in the prompt that pops up, unless you have further questions to ask the Tooth fairy. Talk to the tooth fairy again and she will ask you to watch yet another briefing about the Fairy Godfather's plans.
After the second briefing, the Tooth Fairy will ask you to find her wand for her, but first a tooth extractor is needed (you must talk to her about what is involved in retrieving her wand, and agreeing to do so, or you won't be able to make the extractor). Head north west into another room in the resistance HQ that houses secateurs and hammers. Use the hammer on the secateurs to make a tooth extractor (a sacred clay hammer also works, but magic secateurs do not). Exit to Zanaris.
Tooth Fairy's house[edit | edit source]
Before going to the Tooth Fairy's House you may want to pick up a bucket for later use, one spawns just to the east of the Zanaris bank. After picking up the bucket, head east past the wheat field to fill the bucket with milk using the Dairy Cow.
Head to Tooth Fairy's house located north west of the bank. Use the tooth extractor on the door to pick the lock (51 thieving required).
Talk to Gnarly. You will have to compliment him and his teeth. Say the following things:
- You're a wonderful guard tooth with lovely cusps.
- I can see your bicuspid ancestry is an example to all molar-kind.
- Your enamel shimmers like a river of silver in the moonlight.
- I've never seen such amazing, inspired and dream-like toothiness.
He will then ask for some milk. If you brought a bucket of milk, give it to Gnarly, otherwise, take a bucket to the dairy cow east of the wheat field. He will ask you to close your eyes, then tell you to pick him up and take him to the tooth fairy. Agree to, and return to the Tooth Fairy.
Use the Zanaris fairy ring to get back to the Resistance Headquarters. With the new spell that Fairy Very Wise cast on you, all you need to do is use the coordinates AJS. Be sure to click the entry at the bottom of the list, or you will end up on the penguin island near Miscellania. Talk to the Tooth fairy and turn on the projector to watch another briefing in which you discover that Fairy Tooth Hunters made a tooth from each general rot. You must then retrieve those three teeth to grow ivory versions of the generals that can damage Fairy Godfather's shield. They can be retrieved in any order.
After watching the briefing, step onto the yellow flowers next to the board and use the wave emote. Make sure you have the tooth extractor in the inventory before proceeding. Your tooth will now be pulled and replaced by a Magic tooth (so that you can access more fairy rings) by the TEEF. The scene of you having your teeth pulled will be "censored for the squeamish". After a humorous conversation, you will be given a fairy dossier with important information on the generals and the Fairy Godfather. Return to Zanaris, through the fairy ring.
Bre'egth[edit | edit source]
Bre'egth is located near the windmill located east of the bank. Talking to her will reveal that another ork, named K'Chunk, has taken her tooth. Speak with any other Ork to find that you need to speak with Fairy Fixit to locate K'Chunk.
While you're near the bank, you may want to grab 4 regular planks and 8 nails of any kind to repair the bridge at the next location, and 8 willow logs for the bonfire, in order to save time in the future.
Head to Fairy Fixit, who is located near the fairy ring in Zanaris. Fairy Fixit will refer you to a remote island where K'Chunk was sent to, and give you the coordinates DIP. Use the fairy ring to teleport to the island, then talk to K'Chunk who will tell you that he has hidden the tooth in his pocket. You will need to pickpocket him to steal it, receiving Bre'egth's tooth. If you brought 8 Willow logs and have level 85 Firemaking, light the bonfire for K'Chunk and receive 10,000 Firemaking experience. If you brought planks and nails, take a moment to fix the bridge by using a plank on the broken part of the bridge. The bridge also has to be repaired from the Mos le'Harmless side in order to completely connect this island to the mainland.
Note: If the Fairy Resistance HQ was the last location you travelled to using the fairy rings, the coordinates given to you by Fairy Fixit will likely take you back to the HQ. If this is the case, travel to any alternative fairy ring before attempting to travel to K'Chunk.
Gromblod[edit | edit source]
Gromblod can be found at the Enchanted Valley, looking for food there. Go there using the fairy ring code BKQ. Talk to Gromblod, but he will not tell you much. A few steps away, talk to the wood dryad or a centaur. You'll be told that they want Gromblod out of there.
Talk to Gromblod again to find out that he is looking for a mango. Talk to the wood dryad and ask where you can find a mango. She tells you that there are no mangoes in the valley; you'll need to use a fairy ring to find one. You're directed to use the fairy code CLR, which will take you to Ape Atoll (it is safe unless you attack the Monkey Archers and you do not need a greegree). She will also enchant you so you can access the ring. Go to Ape Atoll using your newly acquired fairy ring code, and pick a mango from the tree, which is located right next to the fairy ring.
Return to the Enchanted Valley (BKQ) and give the mango to Gromblod. After trying to eat the mango, Gromblod's tooth will become stuck in the mango and he will throw it away. Pick up the mango with tooth directly south of Gromblod. Use the tooth extractor on the mango to retrieve Gromblod's tooth.
Shredflesh[edit | edit source]
Shredflesh can be found in a cave to the west of Gu'Tanoth; you must use the fairy ring code ALP to teleport into it directly first. Talk to Shredflesh there and ask 'Can I help with something?' After that, ask the first three questions about his pain, then say that you're a dentist. A mood bar should pop-up.
Use the correct dialogue options that convince him to let you pull his tooth. As soon as this bar is filled, the ork will allow you to pull his teeth.
- What's a bit of pain for a huge ork hero like you?
- If the tooth isn't pulled out, all your teeth will hurt much worse!
- Let me pull it out! What are you, an ork or a goblin?
- I'll make sure it doesn't hurt a bit; I'm a professional!
Use the tooth extractor on Shredflesh. The screen is again censored for the squeamish. You will obtain Shredflesh's tooth. Optionally, clear the pile of rock behind him to gain access to the cave from the surface world via a discreet cave entrance just south of the zogre area in Jiggig (your tool belt pickaxe will work).
Preparing for battle[edit | edit source]
Retrieve your combat equipment and food from the bank on your way back to the Fairy Resistance HQ (AIR, DLR, DJQ, AJS) and talk to the Tooth Fairy, who will explain the rest of the plan to you and tell you to turn on the projector for yet another briefing.
She explains that only the ork ivory statues can disable the Godfather's shields, and tells you to go to the Ork's Rift using the fairy rings, by dialing the combination of codes BIR, DIP, CLR, ALP after each other. She will also give you her fairy wand to heal the statues there. It can be equipped and used as a Dramen staff or Lunar staff to activate the fairy rings. However, magic combat with it is inadvisable as it is a tier 1 weapon. Exit the HQ and activate the fairy ring. At Ork's Rift, the Fairy Mafia are preparing for their invasion near some conveniently located enchanted patches. Look through the fairy tree to view a cutscene.
The tooth fairy will reappear and remind you to defeat the generals first while growing the ivory orks, and once they are grown the Fairy Godfather can be damaged. You can now squeeze through the fairy tree and dispatch them once and for all; the generals (Shredflesh, Bre'egth, and Gromblod) are level 85, the ork warriors are level 79, and the Fairy Godfather himself is level 84.
The battle[edit | edit source]
Overview[edit | edit source]
If you die during this final battle, your gravestone will be at the main fairy ring in Zanaris, although the quest items will be lost and have to be retrieved from the Tooth Fairy. Squeeze through the line of fairy trees to begin the battle. You can teleport out any time, but progress would be lost.
The Godfather will be invulnerable at first. You must grow teeth in the farming patches and protect them from General Shredflesh while avoiding the Godfathers's spells. You can track the progress of their growth by examining the individual patches; the growth stages are small, medium, and large and the ivory orks will spawn on their own when they have finished growing.
The ivory orks will gradually take down his shields and once they are down, the Godfather will finally become vulnerable to damage, and the fight will end as soon as his life points are depleted to zero.
The Godfather has the following abilities, which will be accompanied by a phrase he shouts.
- Cement Shoes!: what looks like a grey broken plate will fly towards you and lands on your feet. This prevents you from moving for a short while (if you are using melee, General Gromblod and General Bre'egth take advantage of this, safespotting you while you are under the effects of this spell). While you are unable to move, if you cannot reach your intended target, simply eat and use potions as necessary until the effects wear off (if using melee). Protect from/Deflect Magic can completely nullify the damage and stunning.
- Sleep with da fishes!: The Godfather's standard attack, where he fires a translucent, grey fish towards its target, dealing up to 240 damage, but his completely negated by praying magic as well. He can cast this against all three ivory orks at once.
- I'll play a tune on my miniature violin!: The ork generals and warriors are healed by 10% of their maximum health (305 and 285 life points respectively. He will use this even when no orks are left to no effect.
Each General also has a special role, and killing them provides a certain advantage:
- General Shredflesh may attack the growing teeth, dealing 50 poison damage. They would become diseased, turning a darker colour. They won't die, but would not grow until healed with the fairy wand, but he can make them diseased immediately again after. However, he does not always do this, and may get stuck on plants or other orks.
- General Gromblod will summon more ork warriors by beating on the drums to the north, near the rift. 4 is summoned each time, with up to 8 present at once. He cannot do so when in combat.
- General Bre'egth is the commander of the ork warriors, and killing her will prevent her from calling out orders and for the orks to answer - however, the effect on their aggressiveness against you does not seem particularly large, if any.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Before you enter the arena (the tooth fairy will give you one last briefing before you go through), make sure you have protect/deflect from magic activated and sufficient prayer points.
After you begin the fight, immediately run to the farming patches and plant the teeth. While you wait for the teeth to grow (takes about 2 minutes and 15 seconds), kill General Shredflesh, to prevent him from causing the patches to become diseased. After killing him you can exit through the line of trees and hide in the entrance area with the fairy ring while you wait for them to grow (if you leave entirely, the teeth will be lost and the Tooth Fairy will give them back to you when you go in again).
The generals should be killed in the following order:
- General Shredflesh
- General Gromblod
- General Bre'egth
Do not fight the ork warriors while Gromblod is alive, as he will simply summon more. They can deal quite a bit of melee damage, so you can get them stuck behind a general or in a line so limit the attacks you receive.
The ivory orks prioritise fighting against the general they are made from, and then other orks, and they are quite weak and inaccurate so they must be killed before they would focus on Fairy Godfather. They would regrow (taking the same amount of time) on their own in their patch if killed.
They must take down all 3 of his shields before you can damage him - this can take several minutes. All 3 ivory orks are required. During this time, the Godfather will constantly use his fish attack on all 3 of them at once. While you can heal them with the fairy wand wielded, for 10-50 life points each time (59 Magic required), it is tedious and not recommended, as they are weak and take damage rapidly, and you won't be able to keep up with Fairy Godfather's damage (they might only take down 1 shield during one lifespan, making you wait for them to regrow again twice to take down the other 2 shields). Instead, attack him yourself - while he takes no damage, this would make him turn his attention to you, but he would rarely attack at all.
Once the Godfather's shield is depleted, he will become vulnerable, and you will finally be able to damage him. He's fairly weak, so you shouldn't have much trouble.
Finishing up[edit | edit source]
After defeating the Godfather, talk to him to start a cutscene. The Fairy Queen and two Fairy stitchers appear, and incredulous at his defeat, the Godfather curses the ivory orks, corrupting them and causing them to collapse. The rift sucks in the Godfather, and the fairies attempt to stitch up the rift. The Godfather's evil overloads it and causes it to explode and the cursed ivory orks reemerge from the patches, and the Tooth Fairy teleports you back to headquarters. Talk with the Fairy Queen, she unlocks the ability to travel through fairy rings without a staff, and offers to teleport you to Martin the Master Gardener in Draynor Village, so you can talk with him.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Reward[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- 11,000 experience
- 11,000 experience
- 11,000 experience
- 1,000 experience
- 1,000 experience
- Magic watering can
- Free access to the Zanaris Market
- Ability to use the fairy rings and get into Zanaris without a Lunar or Dramen staff.
- Ability to fetch teeth to get a Tooth creature by speaking to the Tooth Fairy after the quest.
- Ability to have gardeners keep your farming patches weed free. First, talk to Martin the Master Gardener after the quest, then talk to a gardener at one of the patches. If any patch has preexisting weeds, you'll have to remove them before this takes effect.
- Access to a new battle area in Ork's Rift, which contains cursed Ivory Bre'egth, cursed Ivory Gromblod, and cursed Ivory Shredflesh. They all have 82 and have high gem and blue charm drop rates.
- Ability to sell suqah teeth to the Tooth Fairy for 2,000 coins each. You can also sell her old teeth, monkey dentures, and kebbit teeth, for amounts ranging from 1 to 200 coins.
- Access to Mos Le Harmless through K'Chunk's island; fairy ring code DIP
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift ( 0) – Complete this Experienced quest.
- Ape A'hollow ( 15) – Unblock the hollow log and tunnel shortcut after the 'Fairy Tale III' quest.
- Fires Are Mostly Harmless ( 15) – Light the campfire and find a haul of exotic herbs and herb seeds after the 'Fairy Tale III' quest.
- Milky Teeth ( 10) – Give the Tooth Fairy five teeth and claim a tooth creature pet.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Full completion of Azzanadra's Quest
- Children of Mah
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir
- Nomad's Elegy
- One of a Kind
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- Full completion of The World Wakes
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Tooth Fairy is injured. A Fairy doctor heals her.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 January 2021 (Update):
- patch 31 May 2016 (Update):
- A typo when talking to the Tooth Fairy in Fairy Tale Part III has been corrected.
- patch 1 November 2014 (Update):
- It's no longer possible to start Fairy Tale Part 3 without having completed Fairy Tale Part 2.
- patch 19 July 2010 (Update):
- patch 24 June 2010 (Update):
- patch 15 June 2010 (Update):
- patch 9 June 2010 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the first day of release in the knowledge base, the rewards were covered by the message: "The Tooth Fairy says the rewards for this quest are divulged on a need-to-know basis, and you do NOT need to know. Well, not until tomorrow, anyway."
- Upon completion, the Adventurer's Log reads, "I've helped restore Fairy Queen to the throne sending the Evil Fairy Godfather through the rift never to be seen again."
- The name of the quest is a pun on the Battle of Rorke's Drift in South Africa in 1879 in the Zulu war.
- The character of the Fairy Godfather is, even in the matter of looks, based on Don Corleone from the movie The Godfather. Not only the person himself is a reference, but - as an example (one of many) - the spells he casts during the final battle.
- When examining one of the Generals during the cut scene before battle, a combat level of 138 is shown. However, their combat level was changed to 122 at one point. Currently, their combat level is shown as 175 despite being level 85 normally.
- Upon asking Gnarly for the wand, one of the options says, "But the Tooth Fairy wants it - she needs it!" This is a reference to Gollum in the Lord of the Rings.
- During the second briefing the Tooth Fairy remarks that "The army embarked on a campaign of shock and ork". This is a pun on Shock and awe (technically known as rapid dominance), which is a military doctrine based on the use of overwhelming power, dominant battlefield awareness and manoeuvres, and spectacular displays of force to paralyse the enemy's perception of the battlefield and destroy its will to fight.
- The second briefing concludes with a fairy pointing at the viewer with the text "Zanaris needs you!" This is a reference to the Lord Kitchener recruitment posters during World War I.
- The idea of extracting orks teeth may be a reference to the orks of the Warhammer 40k franchise who use their own teeth as currency which they call "Teef", similar the fairy term for teeth extraction.
- The idea of creating warriors by sowing teeth is a reference to Greek mythology, where the hero Cadmus planted dragon's teeth in the ground, which grew into warriors known as Spartoi.
- Previously, it is possible to complete the quest without 59 Magic, but this was later made into a requirement to start the quest.
|Part 4 of the Fairy Tale quest series|